MTM2.com

A forum for mtm2 discussion
FAQ :: Search :: Members :: Groups :: Register
Login
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 5:15 pm

Post subject: Warning to KAZAA and other peer-to-peer users
PostPosted: Wed Jan 22, 2003 3:08 am 

A federal judge ruled tuesday that Verizon internet service must turn over the name of a customer who had downloaded 600 songs from the internet in one day. How long before they go after everyone?

------------------
-BigDOGGe's Boneyard...The Best Custom Trucks in MTM2 -
http://mtm2.com/~bigdogge/

<font size=1>Edited by ZOtm_BigDOGGe (23-01-2003)</font>

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 22, 2003 6:42 am 
Glow Ball

> 600 songs in one day.

No wonder the riaa gets upset. But if they know that how come they don't already have the name and ip, and just because they get the name how do they know it will lead anywhere since most enter bogus info anyway. Seems like an ugly mess to me.

edit. BD, if you use the [ url ] tags your sig should come out with a link :)

<font size=1>Edited by Phineus (22-01-2003)</font>

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 22, 2003 4:47 pm 

Thanks..I didn't notice the SIG slip-up.

Here's a link to the Mercury News article: http://www.bayarea.com/mld/mercurynews/business/5003250.htm

------------------
-BigDOGGe's Boneyard...The Best Custom Trucks in MTM2 -
http://mtm2.com/~bigdogge/ TARGET="_blank">http://mtm2.com/~bigdogge/</A>

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 22, 2003 5:35 pm 
Glow Ball

> the Mercury News article:

Ack! It's messier than I imagined. It's the ISP under attack, not kazaa. Good points on both sides of the argument, in principle. However, this one "The industry blames piracy for most of its $400 million drop in sales" loses the battle of common sense. I don't mean to begin a debate on the topic, but I find the whole situation baffling and the logic unfathomable(sp?).

Anyway, I tinkered with yer sig. Give 'er a whirl.

p.s. speaking of isp's, how's the ol' net connection holding up?

<font size=1>Edited by Phineus (23-01-2003)</font>

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 23, 2003 3:31 am 

Not great. Netzero ran out days ago, but I managed to create another account on my Pent-2 (another 10 hours). I probably still won't make it to the end of the month.

With Vales kaput, I haven't been in a big hurry to find a remedy. I'm just not on the computer much now. I have something coming together for the expo (trucks section of course), but my modeling interests have slowed somewhat. it took me a week just to get an idea, and it's not coming along very fast. I think I need to crack open a few HOT ROD magazines and dream a bit... ;-)

I noticed now that the truck and track upload pages at MTM2.com and other places are missing one vital feature.....a way to post comments to uploaded items. I think this is a feature that made sites like Vales (for mtm and evo) and NFSCARS.com (for Need4speed) such popular sites above their peers. Any way to add such a feature to MTM2.COM pages?

Thanks for the SIG help....i'm not online long enough to test & troubleshoot stuff right now.

------------------
- BigDOGGe's Boneyard ...The Best Custom Trucks in MTM2 -

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 23, 2003 7:07 am 
Glow Ball

> netzero ran out days ago

bummer <font size=+1 face=Wingdings>L</font>

> something coming together for the expo, but my modeling interests...

great, and well... it happens to all of us. it's like writer's block i suppose. the good thing is there's plenty of time.

> one vital feature.....a way to post comments to uploaded items.

we used to have a truck review area but kc wanted it on his site. i can probably put that back in place. linking to it, for now, is done manually. it's no hassle or anything and forces a proper inspection of things. i'm definitely open to suggestion. (tech note: meantime, i've been looking into data structures. haven't landed on anything concrete, but at least i know what i'm looking for. it all takes time, i guess). and i'll look into nfscars.com, there's always room for good ideas.

speaking of which, f-350 put a preview area on his forum. it looks like a good one. maybe i should change the beta section here to something more like that.

other news, i heard today that kc is close to getting the site back up. should be any time now.

anyway, enough for now. lookin' forward to when you can get more regular online time.