MTM2.com

A forum for mtm2 discussion
FAQ :: Search :: Members :: Groups :: Register
Login
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 4:08 pm

Post subject: Some Sound Advice
PostPosted: Sat Mar 01, 2003 3:10 am 

Here's a suggestion for the Guild Masters:

You alread have a place to find background music. How about adding a "Sound Effects" download/upload area to your site? I've never seen anyone posting MTM2 sound effects, and I always find myself making my own. (I am currently looking for a slow-ringing bell, like you hear on an old train or on a bouy.)

Things you will have to consider:

Point out your current "Sound" section, and note that MTM2 add-on sounds must be at least TWICE as loud as normal WAVs. So if they preview them in their browser, they will have to turn down the volume!

You might want to have subsections for "Continuous Sounds" (looping) and "Impact Sounds".

A moderator may want to have the option to "rate" the sound effects, noting things like "fuzzy quality", "very quiet", "excellent!", etc. so we can sift through all the "crash" and "engine" sound effects that people are going to want to contribute. Alternately, you can allow a forum-like link for author/user comments (to give credit to the original sound creator if you merely increased the volume level, etc.)

Whatcha think? Does this give your site engineers something new to have fun with?

Clawfford, the Big Red Cat www.gameroom.com/clawfford

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 01, 2003 3:46 am 
easy company

not a bad ideer.... this may be something that could be added to Wint's music project pages?, perhaps a sound effects catagory? notice how I just dumped the work on someone else? lol... seriously tho I may just do something in that regard, if'n I ever get caught up with my current backlog.

I have a couple thousand sound effects in wav format on file but rarely use them because my tracks are already so bloated with art files :o)

edit... i'll go dig up a bell for ya

<font size=1>Edited by Malibu350 (01-03-2003)</font>

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 01, 2003 4:08 am 
easy company

here's a couple bells that may work for you..

Bell 1 wav

Bell 2 wav

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 01, 2003 5:42 am 

Thanks! Now my track will be complete with all the "bells and whistles"! ;o)

Another thought... you could accept normal-volume WAVs and leave it up to the user to adjust the level. That would allow people to preview them without jumping for their speaker volume knobs.

Up to you guys of course, but if you accept BOTH kinds (normal-volume and MTM2 increased-volume) then I'd put them into different areas. That'd make 4 areas: Normal Volume Continuous Effects, Normal Volume Impact Effects, MTM2 Adjusted Continuous Effects, and MTM2 Adjusted Impact Effects)

Clawfford, the Big Red Cat www.gameroom.com/clawfford (Now with a long-overdue link to Mal's site on my LINKS page!)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 01, 2003 5:49 am 
Glow Ball

Well, this is an original twist. Right now I kinda have my hands full with the expo, but if somebody wants to clout me one upside the head (as a reminder) after the dust settles I'll be glad to revisit this topic then.

- Normal Volume Continuous Effects
- Normal Volume Impact Effects
- MTM2 Adjusted Continuous Effects
- MTM2 Adjusted Impact Effects

That can probably be done the same as circuits rallies and rumble types for tracks, no?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 01, 2003 6:00 am 

It's your guys' fault, my good Guild-folk! If it weren't for the Expo, I wouldn't be looking into so many new things!

(I've already "won" the Expo as far as I'm concerned. "Theme" track aside, I'm having a great time just exploring new boundaries and expanding my horizons to see what new stuff I can do! Thanks guys!)

Take a Valium and relax, Phin. I'll remind ya.

Clawfford, the Big Red Cat www.gameroom.com/clawfford

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 01, 2003 9:19 pm 
You Gonna Eat That?

Sounds great Clawford, I'm a big fan of your work as it is, I always keep Malfunxion Junxion podded. I can't wait to bend up one of my trucks on your Expo entry.

------------------
Replica Fan's Garage