MTM2.com

A forum for mtm2 discussion
FAQ :: Search :: Members :: Groups :: Register
Login
It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 3:57 am

Post subject: No MTM3? How about a 2.1?
PostPosted: Sun May 02, 2004 1:37 pm 

I've been kicking around an idea I had a long time ago - a total MTM2 make-over, using every modification and enhancement we can impliment. The select screens, garage, all the buttons - it'll all look different. The stock trucks would be replaced by more complex versions, and the tracks could also have enhancements, like lights for night driving.

A brand new program will be created to handle new pod 'packages' as well as user-defined exsisting addon pods. This would make it easy for players to have rumble sessions with no racetracks mounted, or racers to have no rumbles mounted. We could also take a poll/vote for which user-created addons would go into a third package of perhaps 10 of the most unique and exciting tracks. Also, there would be more graphic options such as a 'low vert' option which could replace the complex vehicles with low vert versions and maybe a small wheels option. Basically, this program would be used to alter not only the pod.ini but some of the system file flags as well, like the goofy truck horn, digital latency readout, etc.

Of course, all the fixes would be standard. And more improvements will be invented along the way. All the standard editing gear could also be included. An add-on packaging program could be included, which would create installation files for new add-on pods, which I think could become a standard. This would extract the pod/s, launch the readme txt, and launch the options program for mounting the pod. I think that automation would give editors the credit they deserve, and learning these new programs would give fidgitters like me something interesting to toy with. Either way, I plan on releasing all my new stuff with installation files. If anyone worries about a possible virus, I suggest Trend Micro Internet Security.

In the end, it'll all go into one download with a specially designed installation package which would back up all the necessary exsisting MTM2 files, create a Start Menu shortcut group with shorts for the game, editing gear, link to an MTM2.1 homepage, all the readme/instructions files, etc. and of course, and uninstall program. I'm thinking, that the back-up method could be something simple like renaming specific directories before unpacking the new replacements.

Sounds like a LOT of work. But if things go really well, the return of Ground Zero would draw a crowd of editors who could help in putting this project together. This would be my biggest 'baby' ever, but after seeing how well CNR did, I think I could do it. (Oh yeah - I forgot to mention the CNR package ;)

Anyway - I'm kicking this idea around to see what kinda feedback and responses I get, and find out who might be interested in helping. I'll not be able to launch the project until I get this DakotaNights tr?ck package finished, and then start a website. At the moment, I'm skimming the Xara WebStyle help file, so very likely, it'll be within the week when it's finished. And then, I'll start the GZ thing and that launch could coincide with the launch of the MTM2.1 project team.

Is this ambitious enough for ya?? I've been drinking a lot of coffee lately. LOL

- Alpine

Post subject: I agree..
PostPosted: Sun May 02, 2004 1:54 pm 

I think you drink to much coffee, lol
seriously though. i think it could be pulled off. if enough editors got involved.
id say more, but the race is about to start, hehe i gotta go warm my chair up.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 02, 2004 2:44 pm 

how bout some graphics enhancements? i always thought this game would look cool with high view distance. you could make it so that all you have to do i type in the number of tiles you want to be view in distance, such as in evo2 if you edit the metal.ini you can get VERY high draw distance. this would be a good option for those with high-end systems.

cant think of anything else other than view distance at the moment.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 02, 2004 3:17 pm 
Well at least this is an idea/goal that can be accomplished. I read a post about someone making a whole new monster truck game, and the guy didnt even know where to start. All he had was idea's and no knowledge of how to create it. Which is just retarded.

You're a long time Track/Truck Maker for MTM2, so I'm sure you wont have any problem getting the support you'll need to get out an amazing finished product. Hope things work out because MTM2 getting a makeover would be realy nice. GOOD LUCK!

OH and I realy enjoy your custom trucks. Hasnt been another custom truck maker thats able to reproduce the eyecatching artwork and designs you have been known for.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 02, 2004 7:21 pm 

WOW a huge project Alpine. 8)

I wish you luck with it, and i am sure that if anyone can pull that off its someone like you.

Be interesting to hear from the other great truck and track makers and programmers that we have around mtm2, if you could all get together and make this happen what a bonus for the game...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 03, 2004 10:47 am 

I wish you also luck with it :)

I think the name 2.1 isn't quite right though because it sounds more like a MOD then an update.

Don't forget to consider to include the stock patch of the game.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 03, 2004 10:58 am 

If you look at all those utilities we now use along with MTM2 like podswap, mtm starter etc along with lot of kick a_s tracks i think the only thing i'd like to be fix with this game would be a instantt replay that work a little better than the original one.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 03, 2004 1:21 pm 
Glow Ball

For replacement pods there are fourteen team sorts that contain plenty of suggestions.

http://mtm2.com/~tracks/?b=1

However, you'd have to watch to be sure podzipped tracks still work.

----------

The latest fix pod

<a href="http://mtm2.com/~mtmg/downloads/mtm2/game/FIXMORE3a.zip">FIXMORE3a.zip</a>

----------

CH_2005 made a bunch of driver check-in screens.

http://ch.zrecon.net/utildetails.asp?UtilNum=8
http://ch.zrecon.net/utildetails.asp?UtilNum=7
http://ch.zrecon.net/utildetails.asp?UtilNum=3

There's this one too: <a href="http://mtm2.com/~mtmg/downloads/mtm2/game/DriverCheckIn.zip">DriverCheckIn.zip</a>

----------

And ObeOne's road rage pack has a repainted cockpit in one truck but it has to be above the stock pods. (Same idea for replacement blimps).

http://mtm2.com/~trucks/?s=road+rage+pack

OP did one too, for mtm1, as well as Karm and Mudder for mtm2.

----------

And that's about all I know, unless you can persuade Guitar Bill to write a new game.exe from the ground up.

----------

[ edit and ps ]

In-game fonts

http://forum.mtm2.com/viewtopic.php?t=1624

Post subject: Thems some great replies, guys!
PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2004 7:28 pm 

Some of these things I didn't even know about. I'd love to have that font advantage, except that I can't play online yet. And attaining that ability isn't top priority, so that can wait.

The new interface screens are quite amazing, and a great start towards the make-over. Pulling one or two of those will save some work ":)

The team sorts lists are exactly the reason this pod group mounting idea came about. These lists would have to be a secondary groups sort, and redefinable as the teams update or change their race lists. Maybe someplace in the 2.1 options program, we'd have a 'right-click>ammend team list' in there.

The 2.1 enhanced options program would have to work like this: First, the startup, ui, trucks2, etc - those are mandatory, so no need to have them unselectable. They'd be locked in. The fixall pods, and anything else that needs to be mounted up top would also be locked in <i>at the top. </i> Here's where it gets interesting: the stock art/models pod. This would have to be discussed amongst those who really know errors and how to avoid them. The plan here is how to NOT enlarge the 2.1 download beyond reach of dialup users. so, after thinking about it, we'd have to have 1 or 2 'podzip support' options to check, and make use of the exsisting MTM2 stuff. However, we mustn't overlook the idea that modified textures/models could spark new life into the game, so here's where the '2.1 thinktank' professors get to put some serious thoughts together.

Ok, it's been about a half hour... I'm wondering if we should attempt overwriting art/models and .sit files or just include all new tracks. Probably best to clone and enhance rather than create an enhancement pod to over-ride stuff. However, if it was done with an 'enhanced appearance' pod, that could possibly be a seperate add-on, downloadable for use in MTM2, so some people can enjoy driving enhanced tracks without an entire game make-over sized download.

Anyway - that's all for my brainstorm session. That one started to hurt too. Time now for me to color-match my website template to my flash intro. Then maybe remake my navigation menu. I gotta try to squeeze 2 seperate sites into my 50 megs of webspace.

- Alp

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2004 9:26 pm 

If you are planning to not include the stock tracks, some tracks won't work. Podzipped tracks need the stock track with those textures above it to run. I think thats how it goes.

Post subject: Alpine
PostPosted: Sat Jun 05, 2004 5:25 am 

That's an easy base to cover. Just need a stock pod mounted that contains the mtm2 stock stuff. That would be part of the 'podzip support' idea. Whether it makes it thru the final programming stage depends on what oversights might come up. There's always some type of MTM2 glitch that comes into play whenever we're editing lol

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2004 10:48 am 
MTM2 Fanatic

For a view distance thing, I'd suggest that the higher up you are, the further you can see (like real life)

Also:

-Rocks that fly up when you run over them
-Way more horsepower
-Realistic shock setup
-etc.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2004 7:53 am 
Trackologist

I mentioned this before when the subject of revamping MTM 2 was on the table, and my opinion hasn't changed:

- Improve the graphics. If they could come close to EVO 4X4, splendid.
- Attempt to resolve the bugs encountered when launching a multiplayer game.
- Allow for more tracks at one time
- Do not, I repeat, do not change the physics of the game. In my opinion it's fine as it is, and it's part of what's kept me playing this game for nearly five years now.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2004 11:07 am 
You Gonna Eat That?

Ohhhhh Copey, that is where we disagree...

I want a game that when you hit the brakes, the truck actually stops, and not take a football field to come to a slow down, then maybe stops.

I want a game that when you hit the throttle, the truck reacts like it actually has 1500+ horsepower in a 10,000 lb. truck, instead of 400 hp in a 20,000 truck like now. Instant throttle response, maybe a little wheelie, but nothing out of control.

The realism on this game sucks, it needs a better game engine, something up to the standard, like the Need 4 Speed games, something that will support many high poly vehicles at one time.

I have a whole list [literally] of things I'd love to change about this game, those 3 are my biggest complaints. I could go on, but only if you want to hear it Alpine. I've been playing this game since MTM1 first came out, and I have complaints all the way since then. Both games have the same issues, MTM2 is just a higher graphic version of the first one. I think it's about time someone makes it right. I'd hate to see all this work go into another 4x4 Evo, because I won't support it.

It's time us monster truck fans get a REAL Monster Truck game.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2004 12:07 pm 

Quote:
1500+ horsepower in a 10,000 lb. truck, instead of 400 hp in a 20,000 truck like now

Most have a hard time to control that 400 hp as is, so i can hardly imagine how we could race rallies with 1500 hp.

no 10,000 stop on a dime from 80mph.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2004 12:43 pm 
You Gonna Eat That?

I'd be drooling all over my keyboard, if I could run any track in this game with 1500 hp.

Right now it sucks, you take a tall hill, you stop at the base of it, mash the gas what happens? It slowly crawls up, maybe you make it, most of the time it stops half way up. That's pathetic, and not reality.

This is supposed to be a racing simulation game, this right now is nothing close to a real simulation, never has been.

As far as brakes go, I mean when you hit them, the nose of the truck should slam down, and decelerate rapidly, if not lock up the tires, like a real truck. Right now the brakes act like you have a house, with a suspension from a Ford Pinto on it. They won't slow it down, let alone stop it. The brakes are horrible in this game.

One other complaint while I'm on it, two words... Sidewinder Canyon, stock track. Trucks stopping on the bridges after a jump, same as Crazy 98. I don't care if you're driving a stock truck, and you slam the brakes on as soon as you leave the ramp, most of the time soon as you hit the other side, dead stop. wth? Fix that.
This has happened to everyone, so I don't want any driving techniques. I know how to get around it, but it's annoying.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2004 2:40 pm 

I'm with Rep. I'd love to see actual monster truck physics, would make for tough driving but it would also make the game much more fun for us real life fans.

Of course, you could also make a 2.1 with new physics and a 2.1 without them...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2004 12:06 am 
Trackologist

Hehe doesn't surprise me, RF. I suppose it matters not in the grand scheme of things. I love the game as is, even with its quirks, and I have a heck of a lot of fun playing it. Improving it would be ok, but "improvement" means different things to different people. To this day a lot of people shy away from online racing as it is because it's more difficult than they anticipated, then you throw in all the different tracks which serves only to discourage people even more. I just don't see how changing the physics constitutes "added value" in terms of enjoyment. Now, let's say the game is so easy that lots of people have mastered it, hence it's no longer a challenge. Well yeah, I could understand change based on something like that, but thus far I've yet to come across such a person. And if such a person does exist...they don't play the game anymore lol.

In the end, if there is a MTM 2.1, then yeah, having two flavors wouldn't be a bad idea...for us slow racers, I mean lol.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2004 8:07 am 

Changes like a completely different truck-control, different (more hi-res) world-rendering-engine ask for a rewrite from scratch if you ask me. This can't be done by just updating the original game.

I think you can't do more with the game then re-using the mtm2 stuff which is already around.

An other cool idea: If the hosts of a game types "/pod stl", the tool which everyone runs in that zone-room recognises it, and it automaticly pods the stl list for everyone. Mentioned it before, but hey - maybe someone is listening now hehehe

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2004 11:16 am 
Quote,

An other cool idea: If the hosts of a game types "/pod stl", the tool which everyone runs in that zone-room recognises it, and it automaticly pods the stl list for everyone. Mentioned it before, but hey - maybe someone is listening now hehehe

I like it , oh yeah that would be nice!!