MTM2.com

A forum for mtm2 discussion
FAQ :: Search :: Members :: Groups :: Register
Login
It is currently Sat Apr 20, 2024 7:05 am

Post subject: Playing multiplayer?
PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2007 2:37 am 

Hello,

Back in the days I played a lot of mtm and mtm2. Downloaded a lot of tracks and played with my 33.6k-modem over Zone. But how do you play it now?

Tried with a friend over hamachi but IPX didnt work and TCP/IP connection failed.

Suggestions?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2007 2:47 am 
Glow Ball

Since the zone closed there has not been 'one' place for everybody but lately battle hq seems to be the most reliable. ShadowPrincess recommends using power lobbies to log in.

http://www.powerlobbies.com/

I tried it and have to admit it's pretty easy - the page design is a bit awkward, but it works fine.

Tip. If you use a firewall, you'll want to open up the game ports or disable it during multiplayer so you have no trouble. That's not always a problem but if you have connections issues then that's the first place to look, and so it's something to keep in mind.

Good luck with it, and hope you enjoy your new/old interest :-)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2007 2:50 am 

what ports are we talking about?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2007 2:58 am 
Glow Ball

Computers communicate with one another through "ports" - that's a tech term to describe just exactly how and where information gets through. A firewall will close all entry points to prevent hackers from getting into your computer. The trouble is, sometimes programs need the ones it closes so we have to open them back up again. For a detailed bit of info, have a look here:

http://forum.mtm2.com/viewtopic.php?t=1734

What I do with my router is set my computer as DMZ host while playing and then close it back up again immediately afterward. But whatever works. Some people would rather just set it and leave it alone, in which case you don't want any more open than needs to be.