MTM2.com

A forum for mtm2 discussion
FAQ :: Search :: Members :: Groups :: Register
Login
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 12:36 am

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 112 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next   
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2008 12:53 pm 

> Change your swapfile size.... give it a shot, tell me if its easy or hard.

Right click Computer>Properties>Advanced System Settings>(you are already at the advanced tab)Settings>Advanced tab-Change

Actually for me it's easier than in XP.

Btw, once i get my 8GB of Ram that swap file will be disabled. I can do it now as well but it runs out of memory when playing Gothic 3 and Assassin's Creed.
And before you say anything about Vista being a resource hog, Gothic 3 ran out of memory on XP as well if there wasn't a swap file set.

> is it easy to change your CPU drivers? like it is in XP?

Never had a problem with it.

> While your at it, please turn on IIS and make your computer into a webserver.

Don't know about that.

> Using google is not allowed, built in help functions in Vista are allowed, but only Offline help is allowed, no online help is permitted (Cause believe it or not, much of the worlds computers are NOT online), Basically unplug your network cable and turn off wireless, when you do this.

Uhm... i usually go by the trial and error way. As in, i rarely read anything when i try to do something. Hasn't broken my Vista yet (although this might be because of all the experience i got fudging around with XP and how many times that one crapped on me until i made it very reliable).

> If you get more than 30 messages asking you if your sure you want to do whatever it is your trying to do, you and Vista fail (UAC messages count, Wizards count)

Why do i need UAC for? I use a proper firewall that does what UAC does (as in asking me needless questions... or are they?) and doesn't let Microsoft programs automatically slip through. I have been using the same firewall since the XP days so let's say i am accustomed to have complete control over my computer and getting asked questions what programs should and should not receive "working orders".

Oh and MTM2 works better for me in Vista than it did in XP. In XP i had random mini-freezes in online play and it completely froze my computer randomly when playing offline.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2008 1:15 pm 

yeah I have same issues in gothic 3 heh, need more RAM, but that game was just programmed poorly, loading the entire landscape into memory is a bad idea.

You turned off UAC< thats cheating, the average user would not know how to do that.

TUrning on IIS should just be like turning on any other service.

MTM2 might work better on Vista cause of CPU drivers, or because your useing a different computer, or your network card has a better IRQ setting, or you have less malware than your last XP machine.
I personally coudlnt get mtm2 to fire on vista, after working aroudn the admin privleges garbage, MTM2 would try to play the intro video and crash, so i changed monster.ini to not play the videos and I would get to the start screen and the background image would be just garbage, and clicking a button would cause MTM2 to close.

Actually, the only thing I managed, out of the programs I own, to get working on Vista right from the install was Office 2000 and spybot S&D, everything else required "fixes" to get working or just plain didn't work at all.
Some graphics issues were do to the Intel Integrated Graphics in that laptop, so I don't blame Vista specifically, though Aero ate up huge amounts of memory, when I switched it to Clasic, some of my games started to work, barely, though Windows Clasic kinda sucks, its not like the actual windows interface from windows 9x. And they had said before, that Vista will allow you to haave an XP like interface, I see that was a lie aswell.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2008 1:16 pm 

Message to all who have downloaded the beta:
Start the game, press Esc, wait for about 8-10 seconds and press it again. Watch your truck bounce into the sky.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2008 1:26 pm 

lol

I somehow managed to plant my truck into the ground while doing several turns one after the other. The game promptly crashed.

Also groundboxes work just as bad as in the original MTM2 :)

Slayer:

Personally i do not have any problems with Vista. My system is 2 year old and it is the same system that i used with XP until last summer. For some reason XP "ages" alot faster and random crap starts happening like MTM2 not working properly or have the USB unplugged sound going off randomly.

Vista i have not reinstalled it since summer and i have not seen any degrading in performance/work that would be noticeable.

You mentioned problems with ur video card in your laptop. Yes... this is where Microsoft has screwed up tremendously. Vista, by default, is not designed to work on about 3/4 of the laptops out there. You really need a powerhouse laptop to run it properly. This is Microsoft's fault for pushing a system on a surface that cannot handle it. Do not really know who to blame here, it's their crap decision or PR or perhaps they didn't care for laptops when they designed it. Most of the people that have Vista problems are using it on a laptop.

As much as i defend Vista to people and say "what you hear is not true and it's not actually bad" i will tell anyone to not get it on a laptop unless they want the system to behave painfully slow. Witnessed this on my GF's laptop while on my desktop PC Vista is actually faster than XP in the day to day programs.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2008 1:43 pm 

I supose I can summerize by saying Vista did not meet my needs, the comptibility was not there, and comptibility is the most important thing for me, because I run applications starting from the DOS era and all the wya to the present

XP gets slow because of Virus scanners etc, that require a their own CPU dedicated to them. and XP often has the wrong CPU drivers setup from factory, usually happens when XP is installed by a ghost image of another machine, the XP installer is more inteligent than the XP driver reinstaller, go figure.

comparativly, systems have come a long way, my 95 machines install is only a few months old, but already, I cannot change my clock, access control panel through start menu, or even resize my taskbar, without explorer freezing up (Laughs hysterically).

And of course

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2008 2:11 pm 
MTM2 Engineer

Slayer wrote:
MTM2 might work better on Vista

LMAO!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2008 2:50 pm 

Anybody managed to get another truck to work yet? :?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2008 3:01 pm 

nope

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2008 7:19 pm 
MTM2 Fanatic

Hmm, I see we're at last getting back to the actual topic of this thread :)

I got the same results with the latest version as I did with the first release:

Runtime error '5':
Invalid procedure call or argument

But only on this computer - the other one runs it fine but verrrry slowly.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2008 1:04 am 

Roadknight wrote:

i can use every truck and track and all the tracks work like they're supposed to, man you guys suck [nyuk]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2008 8:22 am 

Mat-Allum wrote:
Hmm, I see we're at last getting back to the actual topic of this thread :)

I got the same results with the latest version as I did with the first release:

Runtime error '5':
Invalid procedure call or argument

But only on this computer - the other one runs it fine but verrrry slowly.

Direct X, Dot Net, or missing API call?

Post subject: Mfr bug fixes
PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2008 12:13 am 

I have fixed quite a few bugs in MFR. sinking in the ground. the collision is better and I figured out why people are having trouble installing it. check the site for the new version.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2008 3:59 pm 
MTM2 Fanatic

Slayer wrote:
Direct X, Dot Net, or missing API call?

DX shouldn't be a problem (9.0c) but I don't know if I have Dot Net installed (it might have come out with another program I uninstalled). I'll put it back in and see if that does the trick.

EDIT:

Yes, DotNet was still installed (version 1.0.lotsofnumbers), DirectX 9.0c is installed, I don't know don't know about the API call. MFR still doesn't work.

EDIT 2:

Kind of amusing... has anyone noticed that when I used to release my overrated software, it worked fine on *my* computer but nobody else could run it, and now somebody else releases something legitimate and I'm the only one who *can't* run it? They call that "comeuppance," don't they? :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2008 5:39 pm 

i liked the physics on beta 1d more than this

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2008 7:18 pm 

Now i can select different trucks.

The truck, by default, does not sink into the ground now but when there is an abrupt terrain change the truck, most of the time, sinks in and then it comes back out.

Lens flare comes through "earth" instead of above :) As in it can come through a mountain.

Physics are impossible to drive it as a race :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2008 7:21 pm 

white2098 wrote:
Roadknight wrote:

i can use every truck and track and all the tracks work like they're supposed to, man you guys suck [nyuk]

How do you add other tr?cks? On draggers they said to use Winpod, and i tried it, but can't get it to work. Do you have to extract it to the actual MTM2 folder or the MFR folder? Or is there a way i can just copy the pod over to the beta1 folder?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2008 8:14 pm 

i've been using beta 1d because i can choose any truck/track i want and i like the physics more.

i didn't do anything special i just downloaded the beta and started playing.

i've also noticed with the physics that if you press reverse during a big sky wheelie you can level out your truck before you hit the ground kind of like a dirt bike using mid air brake controls.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2008 4:22 am 

white2098 wrote:
i've been using beta 1d because i can choose any truck/track i want and i like the physics more.

i didn't do anything special i just downloaded the beta and started playing.

i've also noticed with the physics that if you press reverse during a big sky wheelie you can level out your truck before you hit the ground kind of like a dirt bike using mid air brake controls.

I got some great physics white, If you want to try them out as well. And guys its really not as hard as your making it. Give me a day or so and I will post a step by step picture post to help you guys out. Jpez has been working so hard at this.. and I for one am glad I am helping out as well. You guys are going to love it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2008 8:32 am 

Mat, run Depends (Dependancy walker) on the EXE and see if your missing anything. Should come with Visual Studio, but if not, Ill provide a download for you.

BTW if you run this EXE, it will add a context menu for all EXE's and DLL's to run depends, but will base itself on the location you placed the EXE< afterwards you cannot remove or move that EXE or the context menu, though, will still display; will not work anymore. So put the EXE in a good spot, like C:\program files or w/e before you run it.

http://trevorsarchives.selfip.net/downl ... epends.zip

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2008 7:36 pm 
MTM2 Fanatic

Very useful program - thanks!

It tells me it's missing msvcp80.dll which I just downloaded - I'll see how it runs now.

EDIT: I downloaded both dlls that Depends detects as missing but I still get the error. :x

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 112 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next