MTM2.com

A forum for mtm2 discussion
FAQ :: Search :: Members :: Groups :: Register
Login
It is currently Wed Apr 24, 2024 7:49 pm

Post subject: Newbie returns and has question on gamepad controller
PostPosted: Sun Dec 27, 2009 6:24 pm 

Hey all I've returned after many years of not playing. I didn't play often in the msn zone days but I did play probably one weekend a month for several months straight. Back then I used the popular microsoft sidewinder pro joystick with throttle control on the side and twisting the joystick for steering. I no longer have that and want to set up my xbox 360 gamepad for gameplay. However the gamepad settings seem to want me to keep my dpad as steering (left and right) and throttle (up and down) on one stick. Thats so frustrating!!!! I go to turn and end up stopping and backing up as I turn. Any ideas on how to set my Left trigger and Right trigger buttons as throttle (accelerate and brake) while using the thubstick dpad to steer?

Last edited by lygernight on Mon Jan 04, 2010 6:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 27, 2009 6:26 pm 

Well I just figured it out with some testing. Apparently if you set the controls to joystick with throttle control it'll automatically set steering to the left and right triggers and steering to the thumbstick dpad on the controller. Awesome in 2.5 seconds. Now I just need to get some hybercube rumbling in...anyone in?

Last edited by lygernight on Mon Jan 04, 2010 6:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 28, 2009 3:36 am 
Glow Ball

Welcome back, and thanks for the controller tip.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 28, 2009 2:21 pm 

yeah that's how. Though, in rumbling its hard to use. i personally turn off throttle control and flip controller into digital mode to use the D-Pad for rumbling. This way you get instant steering and throttle control. it makes a huge difference in rumbles where quick turns are important.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 30, 2009 6:55 pm 

I seem to do just fine with the thumbstick...plus I don't know how to enable digital mode. I'm comfortable with it this way anyhow. It feels alot like the sidewinder joystick I used to use when this game came out originally. After 5 minutes of game play I was back to my old spin moves in a few rumbles on the hypercube.

Last edited by lygernight on Mon Jan 04, 2010 6:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 31, 2009 8:57 am 

Heck yeah.

Lyger did a great job at the Race 'n Rumble tournament Wednesday evening. Knocked me around quite a bit in the round I raced. heh

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 02, 2010 12:12 am 
Gone Walkabout

Whoo Hoo congrats on the great job at RNR lygernight.

Welcome!

http://www.mtm2online.com
Evo1
http://www.evo1online.com

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 24, 2010 6:42 pm 

UPDATE: There is a driver from Microsoft for the xbox360 controllers you can download to help edit your settings for it.

goto: http://www.microsoft.com/hardware/download/download.aspx?category=Gaming

Select the type of product (Controller), which product (xbox 360 controller or xbox360 wireless controller), which Operating system (ex. Windows XP SP2 or later), and select language.

This isn't exactly much different then just doing plug and play and letting windows find the drivers, but it does give you a help menu and if you had installed custom drivers and they didn't work this should help get back the original drivers for the controller.

I'm also trying to change my settings for multiple games (not just mtm2) so if I find more info on how to get this to work for FPS as well as Racing games like MTM2 I'll repost with a more indepth post later.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 24, 2010 7:54 pm 

So I tried a few other drivers for the XBOX360 controller that people have made, but for some reason microsoft's drivers automatically take precedence no matter how many times I've "uninstalled" them. I don't know of any way to customize the controller further, but will keep trying and keep you posted.