MTM2.com

A forum for mtm2 discussion
FAQ :: Search :: Members :: Groups :: Register
Login
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:18 am

Post subject: Has anybody heard from kmaster?
PostPosted: Sat Feb 27, 2010 9:37 pm 
Glow Ball

http://www.google.com/search?q=chile+earthquake 8.8 :eek:

Hope all is okay for him down there.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 27, 2010 10:47 pm 

My thoughts exactly.

Nat Gage (She/They, pls)
I used to be PM Customs but now I'm taking meds for that ;)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 28, 2010 12:35 am 

Jammer told me that Kmaster got on msn from his friends house. and told Jammer he and his family are all ok.

I guess they don't have power so they went to a friends house (who does have power)to get on MSN and let everyone know they are A-ok.

So they are safe for now, but their house has no power.

It was good to hear they are all alright.i thought I would pop in and let you all know.

--Sky

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 28, 2010 4:11 am 
Glow Ball

Thanks for the update, Sky. Good news, indeed.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 28, 2010 11:59 am 
MTM2 Engineer

Thanks for asking and yes, me and my family are OK.
My building suffered no damage, some books fell but that's nothing compared to what happened on downtown Valparaiso, Santiago.. or even worse, Concepción, which it is the second largest city in the country and got completely destroyed. Got some relatives near there but they're all ok, Wish I could go there and offer help but many parts of the pan american highway got destroyed, it's almost impossible to go down there by your own

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 28, 2010 12:05 pm 

I really hope everything works out down there. Not for just you and your family, but I hope the rescue/rebuild effort goes well for everyone.

I am happy to hear your family near the worst zones are O.K. too

I haven ever spoke to you in person, or even Via-Email,but I have read a lot of your post and have seen a lot of your work.

You have a lot of people who care about you in this community. everyone was worried and wondering.

I don't think there is much we can do from here, but if there is, all you have to do is ask. I for one (I feel I also speak for many) am happy to help in any way I can from here.

Keep us updated if you would. We are all sending positive thoughts your way.

--Sky

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 28, 2010 2:37 pm 

Yeah, good, I was really concerned about you.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 28, 2010 4:12 pm 
MTM2 Engineer

Some cities are in a state of total chaos, people are looting supermarkets in the most affected cities. President declared state of exception (similar to martial law) in 2 regions. here in Valparaiso someone gave a fake tsunami warning and it was completely mayhem. I have no water and no cable, some people in other parts of the city have no electricity and no telephone line. People here are trying to buy food like crazy, supermarkets are collapsed, some usurers are selling stuff at triple of its price. I'm using an old VHF antenna to watch the news but, just in this moment I lost signal of almost every channel. 20000 are missing and we got more than 700+ deaths confirmed. 2 million of people affected.
I'll try to keep you guys informed as much as I can, as long as i have internet and electricity.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 28, 2010 4:20 pm 
MTM2 Engineer

If you have the opportunity the to help, please do, for the people who lost everything in the south.

thanks in advance.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 28, 2010 4:59 pm 

If you can find out who or what what aide organization is helping with relief, and providing food and shelter, would you let us know.

As soon as I know where, and to whom to send pledges i will get the word out here. I want to make sure that any funds sent end up in the hands of the people actually providing the necessities down there.

If you are any of your family are in need don't be afraid to speak up. I mentioned it before, but I am very serious. I am happy to help in any way I can. I have a lot of friends locally and on the internet who would also be willing to help.

I cannot fathom how it would be to have to live in a situation where you have no idea if your basic needs/necessities can be met. Just a simple pharmacy for me (R/A for me, and heart surgery/blood thinners for my wife ) is a life line.

Thank you for keeping us updated, it is good to know you are safe.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 28, 2010 5:18 pm 
MTM2 Engineer

Many, many thanks for offering us your help, but don't worry, me and my family are all ok. And yes, I'll try to find the right aide organizations. I've seen a lot of organizations asking for donations for Chile... the truth is, there's almost no way to exactly determine if the money you donate will end in the right hands. Theres a BancoEstado account (which is a government bank) open for donations within the country, which i think, its the most reliable. But I'm still not sure about international donations.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 28, 2010 5:22 pm 

Relieved to hear you're in one piece Kmaster, especially after the biggest earthquake ever recorded. :eek:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 28, 2010 5:38 pm 
Glow Ball

Glad to hear from you km. And yes, by all means, keep us in the loop. We're all wishing and hoping the best for you.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 28, 2010 10:44 pm 

Absolutely, keep us informed. Our news hasn't even mentioned anything "news" like for the last 2 weeks because of the Olympics. No one even knows about this. I didn't even know until it said it on Google.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 01, 2010 12:34 am 
MTM2 Engineer

Looking in the internet I found an organization where you can make donations, which, in my opinion is very reliable. And they're asking four volunteers too.

Cruz Roja chilena
Chilean Red Cross

http://www.cruzroja.cl/noticias/noticia_413.php

Code:
Citibank
Cuenta corriente (checking account) Nº 9941973331
Código ABA (ABA code) :021000089
153 east 53 Rd. Street 4th floor. New York, Ny 10022

Thanks for your help

Funny slay, I have no idea what's happening in the rest of the world, TV here is only transmitting news about the earthquake

Some news: Chilean armed forces took control over devastated cities to avoid looting and maintain order. And I still have no water supply. And cable.. lol... i'm still using an old VHF antenna. I heard on TV that water supply will be restored, after fixing a damaged aqueduct, by Wednesday.

However I still think I'm a very, very lucky person...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 01, 2010 12:57 am 

Actually it's been all over CNN news since the event.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 01, 2010 10:34 am 

It got a slight mention on the morning news today. 30 seconds of fame... CTV sucks...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 01, 2010 12:31 pm 

I completely agree.
Kmaster wrote:
However I still think I'm a very, very lucky person...

The red cross is a very stable and reliable. From helping people pay for temporary living expense to providing food and health care.

I strongly urge anyone that can offer help to do so. Even though it may seem like a massive effort is being put together, in situations like this unfortunately too much is never enough.

Make sure you donate to the Red cross fund you wish to support. There are several from local funds all the way up to specific areas/needs across the world.

Kmaster wrote:
I found an organization where you can make donations, which, in my opinion is very reliable. And they're asking four volunteers too.

Cruz Roja chilena
Chilean Red Cross

http://www.cruzroja.cl/noticias/noticia_413.php

Code:
Citibank
Cuenta corriente (checking account) Nº 9941973331
Código ABA (ABA code) :021000089
153 east 53 Rd. Street 4th floor. New York, Ny 10022

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 01, 2010 1:59 pm 

So what does an Earthquake feel like? Is it like a long drawn out shaking, or just a quick hard jolt, or like a wave feeling? Does the ground move up and down when its happening?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 01, 2010 5:42 pm 

When I was in Seattle they had a 6. something off shore Where we were at it was a series of jolts, maybe two or three. It was like the ground just buckled up and popped, then went back to where it was.

We were sitting on the couch and it jumped up just hair, then forward a foot, then back down. All the cupboards and drawers popped open in the house. For us it was like a series of jerks, nothing in between.

When we had the aftershocks I could feel that we were moving but couldn't see anything. Those were like being inside a huge boat under power You could not feel the waves, but you knew you were moving. Kind of disorienting for a second.

I'm curious about the quake in Chile too. I wonder what type it was and how the ground reacted under your Feet. I;m also curious about how long it lasted.