MTM2.com

A forum for mtm2 discussion
FAQ :: Search :: Members :: Groups :: Register
Login
It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 1:38 pm

Post subject: Controller Question
PostPosted: Sun Feb 28, 2010 1:54 pm 

Hey guys, been forever since I have been around here.

Got a controller question. Using a Joystick for the game which I have actually never used before so I'm kinda stumped on setup.

I have a logitech Attack 3 joystick and want to set the trigger button for the throttle. Even though the in game setup lets me set a button to "accelerate" it won't work that way.

Any way to do this?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 28, 2010 5:27 pm 
Glow Ball

Your joystick software may be over-riding the mtm set up. Check in the control panel to see what's going on in there.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 28, 2010 5:36 pm 

I actually use a throttle on the joystick. It works well.

Phin is right I bet it can be fixed via the control panel.

If it can't be I know a lot of controller manufacturers put out drivers or apps that let you assign key commands tot he joystick. Having the key commands assigned lets you use the stick in FPS games and the like where they are not supported.

Also, some software/drivers will work for different brands of controllers. I know I had a wheel that was way outdated and an off brand. I used the thrustmaster wheel driver and it worked out great.

If the CP doesn't work, poke around a bit and see what kind of software they have out for it.

By the way, null zone and sensitivity play a HUGE part in getting the turck controllable. Until my friend came over and showed me how to set up the null zone and sensitivity the stick was was always either:

A) over steering off the track.
B) Steering way to sluggish.

There's also some macro software out for these things so you can assign a command to a button. I used to have my extra buttons send messages in game like "be right back", "'I'm back" "welcome', and "good race".

HTH
--Sky

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 28, 2010 6:32 pm 

Thanks for the replies.

Unless I am missing something, in mtm2 when I select Joystick the trucks do not respond to the keyboard commands for brake and throttle.

I can use the joystick control panel and map all the keyboard commands to my joystick, but I have to set it as keyboard in the game.

The trade off seems to be losing the precise linear control of the joystick as then it emulates pressing the keyboard.

If that's the only way this can be done I'll just have to drive a lot to see which configuration I like best.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 28, 2010 7:40 pm 

Your trigger is linear? If so you should be able to use it as a throttle

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 28, 2010 7:50 pm 

Sky wrote:
Your trigger is linear? If so you should be able to use it as a throttle
'

The trigger button is not, it has a throttle control but on this joystick its not in a very convenient spot for racing.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 28, 2010 8:33 pm 
Glow Ball

I'm confused

> it has a throttle control but on this joystick its not in a very convenient spot for racing.

I just push the stick forward. What do you mean by a 'throttle control' if that's not how your's works.

> when I select Joystick the trucks do not respond to the keyboard commands for brake and throttle

Why would you want them to? Anyway, can't you use "Customize controller" and set them (accelerate/brake) to any button you want? I haven't done that myself, but any other option works so I don't see why that shouldn't too.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 28, 2010 10:23 pm 

Phineus wrote:
I'm confused

> it has a throttle control but on this joystick its not in a very convenient spot for racing.

I just push the stick forward. What do you mean by a 'throttle control' if that's not how your's works.

> when I select Joystick the trucks do not respond to the keyboard commands for brake and throttle

Why would you want them to? Anyway, can't you use "Customize controller" and set them (accelerate/brake) to any button you want? I haven't done that myself, but any other option works so I don't see why that shouldn't too.

I thought it would work that way too. Yep I can push the stick forward for accelerate and pull back for brake. The joystick also has a Z axis which is what the game uses if you click "use throttle control". But the Z axis on mine is not in a good spot to work with for me.

I just am not used to pushing the stick forward and having to regulate throttle control while turning at the same time. I will practice to get used to it if I have to, just seeing if I can set it up otherwise.

If I set the button assignment in the game to my trigger to "accelerate" it is unresponsive. So the feature of setting a control to a button doesn't seem to work on this joystick for that control, It works on many of the others, it won't work with "brake" either. If it works that way for someone else, what joystick do you have?

I also noticed that in the game with joystick selected the keyboard keys for acceleration do not accelerate the truck, so I am assuming thats why mapping my joystick trigger to the accelerate key for mtm2 doesn't work either.

Other keyboard commands work, seems though accel brake keys get disabled for some reason.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 28, 2010 10:44 pm 
Glow Ball

The z-axis doesn't do much for me. I just push it forward and leave it that way.

I think the idea was since the keyboard is usually always on or off, the presence of a controller renders the absolute nature of that unnecessary.... though I can think of times it would be handy.

I've assigned the brake to the trigger before and it seemed to make a difference. Mind you, in order to use it, you'd probably be slowing down already anyway. For me, it was a matter of braking more suddenly but not as sudden as the double helicopter call, or tighter cornering in some situations because you're actually accelerating and braking at the same time - like driving with two feet in an automatic. Other than that, I didn't play with it too much.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 28, 2010 11:15 pm 

Phin, I've always had a throttle slide on my joysticks. Mine is just at the base of the stick and to the left. (not as good as sidewinder 3dpro). Forward throttle, half is coast, and back is brakes.. nice and proportional and a lot of subtle control. That's how mine works anywas

I use it for brake and throttle both and it works pretty good considering it too is in a bad spot for racing. For flight sim it would be fine but it just isn't in the right spot for driving.

As I get used to it I am hoping to get as good with that as I was the sidewinder, otherwise I'nm back to push forward for throttle, like street I prefer the brake and steer completely separate from each other.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 28, 2010 11:17 pm 

Thanks for all the replies, seems thats the way the game is and I was just wanting to make sure.

Looks like it is time to build a usb version of my door knob controller ;)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 01, 2010 8:13 pm 
Glow Ball

I've never put the throttle on that other thing. I'll have to give it a try.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 01, 2010 10:04 pm 

It takes some getting used to, but once you get that kind of control, it;s hard to go back to a regular stick or keyboard.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 02, 2010 8:11 pm 

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 03, 2010 1:13 pm 

If that force feedback jammer? You know I never thought that the price probably came way down on MTM2 compatible force feedback.

I remember playing with a FF wheel at "future shop" It was great. THe wheel tugged on pavement, then it would release and turn all loose when you hit the grass. I also like ot feel the other trucks bump into me.

It was a cool experience for 1998

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 04, 2010 7:51 pm 

Nope, not interested in force feedback.

This Microsoft Sidewinder Precision Race Wheel and pedals have worked with EVERY single race game I've ever played.

And i've never had to monkey with anything. I just calibrate it in each game, tell the game which buttons I want to do what, and I'm off to the races.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 04, 2010 9:08 pm 
MTM2 Engineer

nice wheel

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 04, 2010 9:52 pm 
Gone Walkabout

Sure is, nice set up Jams. :)

http://www.mtm2online.com
Evo1
http://www.evo1online.com

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 05, 2010 8:14 am 

i like the wheel there, but i'll stick to the keyboard for the time being :p

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 06, 2010 10:46 am 

I don't have room on the desk for the joystick so i use the KB to test out the track I am building..I decided to run a few laps online with it..

Wow, I don;t know how you guys do it, the keyboard does n't work well for me..lots of "ouch" moments lol