MTM2.com

A forum for mtm2 discussion
FAQ :: Search :: Members :: Groups :: Register
Login
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 4:08 am

Post subject: Getting MTM2 to run on windows 7?
PostPosted: Fri Mar 19, 2010 12:42 am 

Wellllllllll now that i might be back and sticking around for a lil while can anyone figure out why windows 7 hates my old games like Age of Empires 2, and MTM2. For some ungodly reason windows 7 likes to chop the graphics off on a 50/50 screen (meaning half the screen will look great but the other half well doesnt even render or even show up for that matter.) Siiiiigh god i love windows... its like trying to teach algebra to an idiot :P anyways if anyone can help to figure out how to get this graphics issue to go away i'd kiss ya for a year ;P kiddin... hehe but i'd really appreciate it though especially so i can start working on making tracks and what not...

btw here's my system specs...

Processor - AMD Athlon 64 X2 5200+
Memory - 6 gb OCZ SLI DDR2 SDRAM
Graphics - ATI Radeon HD3650 @ 512 GDDR2 PCI-E 16x
OS - Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit
MoBo - ECS Elitegroup Black A780GM-A
DirectX Ver - DirectX 11

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 19, 2010 2:25 am 
MTM2 Engineer

Background overlapping your track objects? well, welcome to the group, solution : get a new video card OR get windows XP.

We still haven't found a real solution for it. [(-:]

You can always try Glide Wrapper, most people with this problem do.
http://wiki.mtm2.com/index.php/MTM2_Hi-res

Welcome back, btw.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 19, 2010 6:57 am 

Glide Wrapper doesn't work for MY MTM2. :P

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 19, 2010 9:53 am 

After trying glide wrapper several times, i finally got it to work with decent frame rates.

I went old school, and actually read the read me inside the DGvoodoo voodoo folder.

For those that don't know, their are at least two different versions of glide wrapper. I also found that frame rates, and playability were determine by settings I tweaked to my specific card.

With DGvoodoo I am getting 70-80 frames a second where as with D3D I was getting 40-50. SO not only does it look better, but I can play it too.

Be sure to mess with the settings if you are not getting good framerates, when I first installed them, glide wrappers were giving me a whopping 12fps. A few settings later-80.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 19, 2010 10:08 pm 

Well it works now. I had to select 3dFX under graphics option. But it works :P thnks everyone :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 20, 2010 2:34 pm 

It will only run in a small window for me but it will run. Is there anything that will make it run full screen ? I don't have a video card or anything.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 20, 2010 4:01 pm 

try the glide wrappers. if oyu can;t find them, drop me an E-mail and i will send you them.

I have two different types.

one by hackenzak, the o the is dgvoodoo

I have both, both will run on my computer. Some people have luck with either one. I got the best frame rates and looks from dgvoodoo's latest release.

hope that helps

-sky

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 21, 2010 12:40 pm 

I saw the wrapper threads after posting this yesterday. I've downloaded glidewrapper, it worked fine when I first installed it but after a few uses it doesn't work right. It doesn't help that my laptop screen won't support the correct resolution.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 21, 2010 1:48 pm 

I have a wide screen too.i can either use the wrappers to run highres, or set the graphics properties in my control panel to center the game at the correct resolution.

Myself i prefer to have the game centered and at the correct resolution, IMHO it just looks better to me without the image being stretched.

Check the settings in your glide wrapper and make sure nothing has changed.

Also if you have windows update going, you never know what they are going to add or remove. You may need to tweak a few thins for performance or appearance.[/b]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 21, 2010 5:54 pm 

I can't get it to run right on my laptop or my desk top, I need a new monitor for my desk top anyway. Its one of the first LCD monitors and its resolution is really low, it won't even 1024x960.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 21, 2010 10:24 pm 

lol dont feel bad bri. My comps sporting an oldskool crt monitor. I had it carbon dated and found out its from the jurassic era [nyuk]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 22, 2010 8:26 am 
MTM2 Engineer

tj: how's that? you can even click the 3dfx option in the graphics dialog?

fat brian: it is not a resolution thing, i mean, you can use glide wrapper to run MTM2 in the original 640x480 res. if you want to.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 22, 2010 4:42 pm 

With the wrapper on my XP desktop the game will only run at 640x480, without it it will blow up fullscreen. I need to play with it some more, maybe there is something I'm overlooking.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 22, 2010 5:16 pm 

if you have a flat screen you can also play with whats called "panel fit".

I run a 10" widescreen lol...so I have it set to "center desktop"

Whenever the resolution changes now, the graphics card puts the game window right in the center and with the proper aspect ratio.

With that setting checked, the card produces the resolution that the game asks for, rather than stretching to fit the screen.

By the way,
I got Guitar Bills monster screen saver to work too. I have to set my desktop to 16 bit color and 800x600 other wise it will only run for a few seconds.

The monster screen saver is a nice tool, it will drive you around any track you choose, in bird's eye view, or the view form inside the cab of a truck. Its great to run around tracks without having to drive. Just select the pod file and go.

Hope some of that helps
--sky

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 22, 2010 5:50 pm 

Kmaster wrote:
tj: how's that? you can even click the 3dfx option in the graphics dialog?

The optimum resolution for my monitor is 1920 x 1200, but it's ran at 1024 x 768 ever since I got it. That's my settings, and it crashes with them. And no, I can't click on the 3dfx option (one reason because Idk how, honestly).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 22, 2010 6:06 pm 

If you cant click on the 3dfx option in game, then your glide wrapper isn't installed correctly.

The glide DLL needs to be in the mtm2 directory for it to work.

I will upload DGvoodoo wrapper to my site a little bit later (changing some things around on the server).

With DGvoodoo, you drop the Glidexxx.DLL into the MTM2 directory, then open dgVoodooSetup.exe browse to where you put the dll, and apply the changes you have made.

You should also remove the glide dll that is already in there to make sure MTM2 uses DG's glide insteaad of the stock one.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 22, 2010 8:19 pm 

actually sky's right. I used the DG version. But i never had to install any .dll's though. ONE thing i did have to do is go into the folder that glidewrapper installed to and open up the file called glide_wrapper.zbag.ini and actually add the comand line

[monster.exe]
friendly_name=Monster Truck Madness 2

after i did that i just opened up glid wrapper config file and click on app specific overrides then selected MTM2 in the list. after i messed with some settings in it i clicked apply then exited out of the program opened up MTM2 and on the main menu clicked on settings-graphics then in the drop down box it gave me a 3rd option of 3dFX. But after all that it runs fine now :P

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 22, 2010 9:21 pm 
MTM2 Engineer

TlathamXmahtalT wrote:
And no, I can't click on the 3dfx option (one reason because Idk how, honestly).

options->graphics->graphics render->3DFX

Sky wrote:

That's only for dgvoodoo

anarchyxf36 wrote:
I used the DG version. But i never had to install any .dll's though. ONE thing i did have to do is go into the folder that glidewrapper installed to and open up the file called glide_wrapper.zbag.ini and actually add the comand line...

That's Z's GlideWrapper, not dgvoodoo.

And you don't even need to add that info in the glidewrapper's ini file, you can do it on the glidewrappers configurator.
http://forum.mtm2.com/viewtopic.php?p=42767#42767

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 24, 2010 3:10 pm 

Sky wrote:
If you cant click on the 3dfx option in game, then your glide wrapper isn't installed correctly.

I will upload DGvoodoo wrapper to my site a little bit later (changing some things around on the server).

With DGvoodoo, you drop the Glidexxx.DLL into the MTM2 directory, then open dgVoodooSetup.exe browse to where you put the dll, and apply the changes you have made.

You should also remove the glide dll that is already in there to make sure MTM2 uses DG's glide insteaad of the stock one.

OOOOOHHH you mean IN-game.

Yeah, I can click on it in-game, but it just won't work.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 27, 2010 10:42 am 

http://www.skyscomputers.com/pod/

Check out dgvodoo.rar

Use the included glide2x.dll found in the dgVoodoo1.50Beta2.zip

Put that file in the mtm2 main directory, remove the file called trilglide.dll

Then try to run mtm2 and select the 3dfx setting in game under graphics options.

If you do not get a good look or your frame rates are poor, double click the included dgvoodoosetup.exe once this file oopens hit the "search" button on the left up top.

If you do not search befoe you change settings, the settings will no be applied to the dll that mtm2 uses and the changes will not be put to use.

I ended up getting good frame rates by reading the readme in the dgvoodoo 1.3 folder. that readme contained a more comprehensive explanation of settings and what they do.

I had a alot better luck with dgvoodoo drivers than I have with zackenhacks I hope this helps.

--Sky