MTM2.com

A forum for mtm2 discussion
FAQ :: Search :: Members :: Groups :: Register
Login
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:29 pm

Post subject: Increased draw distance on MTM2
PostPosted: Wed May 12, 2010 2:09 am 
MTM2 Engineer

I managed to increase the draw distance by changing the value of MONSTER.EXE memory addresses 0064CFB0, 0064CFB4 & 0097BC54 from 20 (100% visibility) to 40. 20 being not the total of tiles displayed but the distance between your truck and the horizon, represented in textures.

<center>
Normal
Increased

Normal
Increased

Too many objects error
</center>

As you can see, the number of tiles (or textures) displayed won't increase more than 1 or 2 rows (of the 20 tiles limit), different thing happens with models, the game will display models that are farther than 20 tiles. (+10 tiles farther probably). However, some tracks will become unraceable because of the on-screen object limit. (Farm Road for example, if you look at the barn side the game will hang and show the too many objects limit).

This trick works in software and hardware mode (tested with Direct3d rendeering, should work with 3dfx). In hardware mode, some snow-like balls will randomly appear in the sky while you have an increased draw distance. If you set the values back to 20, the snow balls will appear, but they will move more slowly. They disappear after restarting the game.

After ending a race, and starting a new one, all models and terrain of the track will be white. This is fixed by changing the screen mode.
You can edit the memory addresses values to have an even smaller draw distance, not available in the graphic options, like 5 or 6 tiles (25% visibility)

advice: memory editing is hacking and it is illegal for multiplayer tournaments

Last edited by Kmaster on Wed May 12, 2010 4:37 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 12, 2010 4:15 am 
Glow Ball

Nice find. I wonder if the snow would vanish if you used textured sky.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 12, 2010 9:53 am 

Neat but um, what made you try hex editing the monster.exe at those addresses? Or have you just been at this for years trying every hex value?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 12, 2010 1:57 pm 
MTM2 Engineer

I just searched for a 4 bytes address with exact value 20 (the max number of tiles, as seen on the MTM2 beta while ctrl+2) then changed the visibility in the graphics options in game to 95% (19 tiles), do a next scan for addresses with value 19, and voila. I didn't made any hex editing.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 12, 2010 2:06 pm 

Hmm, didn't know it was 20, but how come you didn't find how many tiles to draw, but rather, how many tiles to draw models on... The model pop-in bothers me less than the odd track pop in. Think you can change that? Also, monster.exe changes when you change options??? Or do you mean you changed it in RAM memory? If so, what tool are you using?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 12, 2010 2:25 pm 
MTM2 Engineer

That's the weird thing, I found both things (terrain distance and models distance) but the terrain draw distance won't increase more than 20 tiles, I don't know why. And yes, I changed the RAM memory, that's why I said I edited memory addresses of monster.exe, not the monster.exe file itself. That would be too complicated. I've edited the monster.exe resources to translate them to spanish, but that's it. I used CheatEngine 5.6, the same you were using for Rakion I think?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 12, 2010 4:30 pm 

I never made the Rakion cheats, EB did.

Can't you just change it in Monster.ini?

[Graphics]
visibleTiles=20

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 12, 2010 5:43 pm 
MTM2 Engineer

That doesn't work. If you have any value greater than 20 MTM2 will reset it to 20 again.