MTM2.com

A forum for mtm2 discussion
FAQ :: Search :: Members :: Groups :: Register
Login
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:07 pm

Post subject: Monster Truck Madness 1
PostPosted: Mon Dec 20, 2010 8:48 pm 

Well first off I feel like such a newbie for even asking this ..... :oops: Guess I've been away too long. I got the wild hair and reinstalled MTM 1 and the computer AI is absolutely horrendous. I realize I haven't played it in more than 5 years but I don't remember it being that bad. I like doing the drag racing and you might as well be practicing because the computer truck will D/Q 100% of the time on the J drag and a lot of times it will prestage and then never go on and stage. Like I say maybe it was always that bad and I just don't remember it. The circuits and the rally's are the same though. The trucks just act like they're lost. A couple of them may actually finish the race but they aren't competitive and I know I'm not that good to beat em as bad as I have been! [:P] I've forgotten so much about this game...was there a patch for it or anything? Has anyone else had this problem?
Thanks for any input!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 21, 2010 2:11 am 

I've had this problem since I bought MTM1 a couple years ago. IIRC the AI was designed to run on systems that produce really low framerates, so they perform really poorly on more modern systems. I don't think there's a workaround for the problem except to switch to system like that produces a low FPS on MTM1. (Correct me if I'm wrong, it's been a while since I read about this.)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 21, 2010 5:15 am 

You can always try screwing up your framerates :).
Also, reducing game use to a single processor helps if you have duel core.

But it is primarily frame rate that is causing it. MTM2 has the same issue, might be why there is no drag racing anymore.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 21, 2010 12:34 pm 
Glow Ball

Slayer wrote:
But it is primarily frame rate that is causing it. MTM2 has the same issue

Correct. Newer computers run much faster than the computers when mtm was made. There's something about high cpu and high-ish frame rates that mess up the computer trucks.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 21, 2010 2:47 pm 

Never thought I'd see the day when my computer was actually too fast for a game! [:P]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 21, 2010 6:22 pm 

_Prowl3r_ wrote:
Never thought I'd see the day when my computer was actually too fast for a game! [:P]

You have the MTM1 this is a program when the program have pods the tracks and truck.Created for Oliver Pierper.
The name is: Monster Track Pak.
http://forum.mtm2.com/viewtopic.php?p=45714#45714

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 21, 2010 9:30 pm 

Phineus wrote:
Slayer wrote:
But it is primarily frame rate that is causing it. MTM2 has the same issue

Correct. Newer computers run much faster than the computers when mtm was made. There's something about high cpu and high-ish frame rates that mess up the computer trucks.

Its almost like it recalculates the physics to often, or the turn too often.

So where it used to be something like this

the - being when the game rendered a frame in relation to where it was on the track. The space between would be skipped. If there was a corner in between the frames, the game would over compensate and turn sharp because it is already passed where it is supposed to turn.
The AI maps were designed with this sort of environment. So were the physics. If you have under 30fps, its pretty much impossible to get stuck on your front or back like you can now. Eventually your truck falls into the land and the game corrects the problem by turning you over.

This is my theory anyways. I suspect this is also why my old 95 was so fast in races, cause I was skipping frames and the game speed was changing on me, and why I was so powerful in rumbles, because a collision could happen between frames, so I would not register it.