MTM2.com

A forum for mtm2 discussion
FAQ :: Search :: Members :: Groups :: Register
Login
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:33 am

Post subject: Re: 4x4 Evolution Revival Project
PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2015 1:09 pm 

OK, so I finally got a chance to run it properly.

General 4x4 notes:

I still have the weird issue with the trucks not moving at the start of the race. From my testings this seems to be related to the vehicle settings. If I do extreme settings like 100 top speed and 0 accel then there is a higher chance for the trucks not to start immediately. Eventually they will accelerate.
This happens with regular cars more so than with monster trucks.

If I tone down the settings (as in don't keep them so extreme) then monster trucks are always fine. It can still happen occasionally with the regular trucks. I wonder if it has anything to do with torque. Do the torque settings from the monster truck get saved for the regular trucks? (despite that it shows N/A under settings?)

MTM2 compatibility:

Playing around with the truck settings can vastly influence the feel of the truck. That's good, can please different racing styles. Also I still vastly prefer the "simulation" option rather than the classic style.

And now we're gonna head into the problems. The monster truck suspensions are just too rigid. A small bump can send you flying instead of the wheels just going over it. Also, on tracks like The Last Race there are bumps in the road which in MTM2 just limit your speed while your suspension works overtime. In this game it sends the truck flying.

MTM2 track compatibility:

I know I've been mentioning this but I still will ;)
To be able to have max compatibility the trucks need to fly more. Right now the hang time is just too low and many tracks (SLO Park, SLO Mountains etc) have jumps optimized for MTM2 hang time which cannot be cleared by EvoR. In some cases that can be a fatal flaw as you cannot complete a race.
Also I noticed the hang time behaviour is different between regular trucks and monster trucks. The monster trucks do a weird balancing act in the middle of the air.

Underwater driving. Still needed to ensure 100% compatibility.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2015 10:53 am 

The next patch made some differences in timing calculations that was causing menu freezes, we'll see if it has any impact on game physics.I'll try those tracks out today, and see if I can make some tweaks. I agree on the sim physics mode, I like it way better. However I got some pushback on it, much for the same reason that some stock tracks couldn't be finished and lap times increased.

Thinking just some CG changes and a gravity modifier on MTM2 trucks can help fix this. Also what are your system specs?

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2015 12:00 am 

Well lap time increase is natural, since the game is slower :)

But yeah if it affects the possibility of finishing a lap then it's problematic.

The bumps in the road on The Last Race are near the end of the lap. The first 3/4 is extremely smooth (minus a specific jump at the beginning of the race, which was created for a 60fps+ computer and now if you use dxtory and limit the fps the jump cannot be correctly cleared. This is a specific case where the fps issue affects the game interpreting the jump more so than usual). The jump cannot be cleared in EvoR either but it's not the "game's fault", or rather the incompatibility is not the "game's fault".

My system is:

Intel i7-3770 @ 3.4GHZ
16GB Ram
Nvidia GeForce GTX 680 with 2GB RAM
Win 7 Ultimate 64bit

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2015 11:41 pm 

Just saw you dropping in voobly. I've been working all day so haven't noticed until now.

Great work on the texture fixes!!!