A forum for mtm2 discussion
FAQ :: Search :: Members :: Groups :: Register
Login
It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 11:52 am

Post subject: Re: MTM2 Beta Patch 0.2
PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2016 7:00 am 
MTM2 Engineer

Fila wrote:
After you selected 1920x1080, have you quit the game and restarted?

The menu loads in a 640x480 corner window but if you start the race full screen (in Direct3D) it should go full screen. If you start in software mode just F4 until it enters full screen.

I havent tried restarting, but my menu doesn't load as a 640x480 "corner window", it just with a true 640x480 resolution (you know, like in the retail game). Maybe your screen can't switch to 640x480? (that would be weird)

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2016 1:03 pm 

I specifically mentioned in the opening post that after every resolution change you have to restart the game.

So if you select 1920x1080 resolution and you keep the automatic full screen on, quit the game and start the game again, your MAIN MENU won't look like this?

http://imgur.com/A5jvc2x

PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2016 5:52 am 

Been really busy again and will be busy for the next 2 weeks so I won't get a chance to try and fix the remaining resolutions yet :(

PostPosted: Sat Feb 06, 2016 1:17 am 

Alright I Had a chance to try this....

*beep* brilliant!

Works smooth in DX mode now, no graphics glitches anymore on my 970.
Smooth 60fps.
Amazing draw distance.
Loading seems quicker too.

I didn't test things like turning on all the reflections. Is this stuff fixed too?

I only had excessively minor issues in changing settings. Like the resolution locks down when you change from 3Dfx to direct3d. But that's not really an issue. Just had to reboot the game, which was almost instant in your new version.
Oh and of course the screen floats on the top left corner and the window appears to be slightly bigger than my resolution. Possibly the number you set for screen size was in fact the internal screen and not including the graphics title bars Windows adds. I don't know if you need to make the menu match the d3d game resolution but I might suggest dropping the window resolution slightly if possible. Just so it's all on screen. Otherwise the menu bars is above my screen.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 06, 2016 1:33 am 

All good except the poor checkpoint finder.

Also, no errors with all reflections and 6 trucks. With previous render patch zoon eurotrip was unplayable with any amount of CPU trucks

I gotta try wilderness 2 with this mod lol. Remember that insane track?

PostPosted: Sat Feb 06, 2016 1:45 am 

OMG it's epic. It feels like a different track and I appreciate the crazy details even more. I never even seen all those castles and stuff before!

Can the view distance go even higher? The pop in was pretty obvious in wilderness.

Also, models were appearing about 25% greater distance than land, causing lots of models to be floating in the distance.

You guys really gotta try this on Wilderness 2.

Any other tracks that show how amazing this is?

PostPosted: Sat Feb 06, 2016 2:02 am 

PostPosted: Sat Feb 06, 2016 2:20 am 

Quote:
I didn't test things like turning on all the reflections. Is this stuff fixed too?

More or less. I'm pretty sure it's going to crash at some point, there must be a track out there that's heavy on the objects and with lots of water. Basically there's two things going at play here.

1. Human imposed limits - which I did fix this as I have increased them.
2. Written code limits - as in, the game wasn't written to handle so much stuff so at some point the code goes crazy and just crashes.

Quote:
I only had excessively minor issues in changing settings. Like the resolution locks down when you change from 3Dfx to direct3d. But that's not really an issue. Just had to reboot the game, which was almost instant in your new version.
Oh and of course the screen floats on the top left corner and the window appears to be slightly bigger than my resolution. Possibly the number you set for screen size was in fact the internal screen and not including the graphics title bars Windows adds. I don't know if you need to make the menu match the d3d game resolution but I might suggest dropping the window resolution slightly if possible. Just so it's all on screen. Otherwise the menu bars is above my screen.

Yeah the resolution locking down is something I'm looking into, but it's low priority.
You are running Windows 8.1 correct? As for the menu issue, it does not appear on my Win 7 end HOWEVER it does appear on my laptop that has Win 8.1. I have found the code responsible for this so I will definitely look into fixing it one way or another.

Quote:
All good except the poor checkpoint finder.

I will look into that, the game simply messes up the finder past a certain resolution.

Quote:
Can the view distance go even higher? The pop in was pretty obvious in wilderness.

Right off the bat no, I tried doing it and it straight up crashes. Pushing it even more is something I definitely do want to try and achieve.

Quote:
Also, models were appearing about 25% greater distance than land, causing lots of models to be floating in the distance.

Yeah, this is something that I also have to look into and there is no quick fix. When I tried to lower the limit, it did however all the models became visible at any point in time. Meaning, if you saw a hill/mountain and behind it there was a model you could see the model. I think the models appearing at about 25% compared to land is something that TRI somehow hard coded for whatever reason (maybe the bug I mentioned above). This is something I want to look into as well though if I can increase the overall draw distance I might just ignore it completely.

Quote:
Any other tracks that show how amazing this is?

http://www.mtm2.com/MTM2/Tracks/tracks.php?search=z-m-x
http://www.mtm2.com/MTM2/Tracks/tracks. ... h=gollypop
http://www.mtm2.com/MTM2/Tracks/tracks. ... e+rock+too
http://www.mtm2.com/MTM2/Tracks/tracks. ... h=hardwood
http://www.mtm2.com/MTM2/Tracks/tracks. ... +run+redux
http://www.mtm2.com/MTM2/Tracks/tracks. ... ture+redux

To name a few but there's definitely more. ZooN, Malibu, Oops they all made tracks that shine even more with higher resolution and bigger draw distance.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 06, 2016 4:50 pm 

I'm sorry. I should have given my system

Windows 7 SP1
i7 4790k
GTX 970
16gb of RAM

I'm not using that old windows 95 machine anymore :)

PostPosted: Sat Feb 06, 2016 4:55 pm 

I did manage to crash it a few times with the cockpit view. But I think you knew that already.
Also, cockpit with dash does something really weird where the top half renders, and the bottom half does a hall of mirrors effect before finally crashing.

I dunno how hard this is to fix, but maybe if possible make it just skip cockpit view when you choose it if your resolution is anything but 640 x 480?

PostPosted: Sun Feb 07, 2016 12:57 am 

That's probably the easier solution actually :D

Why that happens is that the game is trying to load the 640x480 dashboard bitmap... which it does but it goes completely haywire because resolution doesn't match. My plan was to try and make a dashboard bitmap for each resolution OR try and use the internal c++ graphic system and make a dashboard out of polygons. The advantage to that is that it would scale properly but I'm not sure how easy it is to write it. (partly about my coding abilities and partly how the TRI code reacts to it, there's all sorts of weird reactions when I try to change things like right now the game crashes if you chose anything other than clear weather and the reason is the dashboard bitmap, I haven't found a logical reason for it yet despite knowing exactly which code is responsible).

Edit: Hmmm, so you are using Win 7. OK, I'll try and eventually figure out that menu thing. I have a rough idea where to look for it and I can test it on my laptop.

What is the native resolution of your monitor?

PostPosted: Sun Feb 07, 2016 2:08 pm 

Fila wrote:
That's probably the easier solution actually :D

Why that happens is that the game is trying to load the 640x480 dashboard bitmap... which it does but it goes completely haywire because resolution doesn't match. My plan was to try and make a dashboard bitmap for each resolution OR try and use the internal c++ graphic system and make a dashboard out of polygons. The advantage to that is that it would scale properly but I'm not sure how easy it is to write it. (partly about my coding abilities and partly how the TRI code reacts to it, there's all sorts of weird reactions when I try to change things like right now the game crashes if you chose anything other than clear weather and the reason is the dashboard bitmap, I haven't found a logical reason for it yet despite knowing exactly which code is responsible).

Edit: Hmmm, so you are using Win 7. OK, I'll try and eventually figure out that menu thing. I have a rough idea where to look for it and I can test it on my laptop.

What is the native resolution of your monitor?

1920 x 1080
If the game were to just skip cockpit view, I would be fine with that lol. I've always raced in Chase 2, as illogical as that is.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nIRUavithF8

PostPosted: Sun Feb 14, 2016 9:00 pm 

Been away the past week and will be away next week so I haven't had a chance to work on this anymore.

Regarding the menu issue... I think it might be an issue when the game resolution matches the native display resolution. I don't have this problem on my desktop but I do have the same problem on my laptop where 1920x1080 maxes out the native resolution. I have an idea where the problem lies so I will definitely look into it.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2016 3:14 pm 

Going to an extremely busy period right now. No idea on deadline when I can work on it again but as soon as I can.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2016 12:00 am 

Fila wrote:
Going to an extremely busy period right now. No idea on deadline when I can work on it again but as soon as I can.

No worries dude. It's all just for fun anyways. It's not as if you can distribute anything lol

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2016 8:36 pm 

Yeah I know... but my OCD wants to see this as good as I can realistically make it :D