MTM2.com

A forum for mtm2 discussion
FAQ :: Search :: Members :: Groups :: Register
Login
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:45 pm

Post subject: Re: Downloaded & Installed MTM2 from mtm2.com but can't play
PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2016 7:08 pm 

I just did some experimenting with my dad's computer with my computer, and the two computers are connected on the same network..his computer has a network card, and my computer doesn't (mine has an integrated on-board LAN adapter)..in MTM2, my dad's computer has an "IPX option for joining and hosting, but my computer doesn't have an IPX option, so I knew a long time ago there was some kind of an option for LAN connections, because integrated LAN didn't used to exist. (My dad's computer is pretty old lol..)

But anyways, I hosted a TCP/IP game on my computer, his computer wasn't able to join via IPX, it couldn't find my game on the network, so his computer had to use my internal 192.168.x.x IP using the TCP/IP option to join my computer's game. Also, my dad's computer could join my game via using my computer's name, as well as my computer's internal IP address.

As for the crossover/gateway type deal, you said you didn't quite understand that...well, you can manually set your IP address if you want to, for each computer.

If you do go through with this, and get a crossover cable, then make YOUR computer 192.168.1.1, and your girlfriend's 192.168.1.2, thennnn...let's say we get a game of MTM2 going (or try to at least). When you go to host on YOUR computer, the computer hosting (yours) would be hosting a TCP/IP with a host IP of 192.168.1.1, so your girlfriend's computer (when she tries to join) would have to enter a TCP/IP game and put IP of 192.168.1.1, because that's your computer that's hosting. However, say she were to host, her computer's IP might be 192.168.1.2 if you set it that way, so if she were to host, and you try to join her, you would have to join a TCP/IP game 192.168.1.2 because 192.168.1.2 would be her computer. (If you set it that way)

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2016 7:10 pm 

Scoryth wrote:
Well, I ran the program on the Win10. All ports seemed open. I checked all of the single range ports (I wasn't going to check all 100 of the 2300-2400. I just did 2300, 2301, 2302, 2303, 2400, and 2399) I didn't check the Win8 computer. I'm pretty sure that if I switched the port forwarding to the Win8 then checked the ports I'd get the same result. It's fairly obvious that, for some mutant reason, our setup doesn't allow us to play. I said that it had worked before, but that was probably three years ago. Since then we've gotten new computers, added landline phone service through our cable internet company (therefore received a new modem) and added new systems to the network (new computers and new gaming consoles) so I've gotten new routers with more ports to accommodate the extra hardware. There's no way I can remember what setup I was using when MTM2 "worked." I guess this one goes in the unsolvable category. Thanks for the help, though.

-Scoryth

Ah so basically you did change the hardware, that's important. The previous hardware might have been better made to deal with such issues.

Based on what you just said above I think the problem is indeed the modem/wifi thing. As I have mentioned, there are people with particular modem/wifi/router that will not allow them to join a game unless they do port forwarding or open the DMZ. In my case I don't have that problem because my router deals with such situations a lot better.

As a last desperate attempt, you can try to do the port forwarding with the host and open the DMZ on the joining computer, while using only the modem and nothing else. But ultimately it simply sounds like the only way to get this fixed is by using different hardware, which obviously involves money.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2016 11:25 pm 

Looks like what I said was mostly covered. Only part was the crossover cable.
The special cable may not be needed. A lot of NICs now just figure it out on their own and act like it's a cross over cable.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Medium_De ... #Auto-MDIX
So roughly the last decade or so of network cards support this.
I only mentioned it just in case it doesn't work.

As for 127.0.0.1, I brain farted, that wouldn't work anyways.