So it's time,http://www.mtm2.com/~mtmg/misc/Beta0.30.rar
(rar file - 63mb)http://www.mtm2.com/~mtmg/misc/Beta0.30.zip
(zip file - 75mb)
Changes from Beta 0.27
- "too many vertices" error should have been fixed. I have doubled the vertices limit. Am curious if it's going to be hit.
- I have not been able to get the game to crash on Zoon Kitchen 2 and/or Toys in the Attic. Either i inadvertently fixed it or it requires a very specific action. Please let me know if you guys can crash it.
- Pitch black hall-of-mirror bug has been fixed.
- Removed obsolete resolutions (320x200). Now the game defaults to 640x480 as the lowest. Also removed 2560x1440 as it doesn't work with Directx5.
- Improved the fail safe mechanism in case a wrong resolution is chosen. The game should default to 640x480.
- The checkpoint finder has been improved... somewhat. It's not a garbled mess anymore. It's not great but it's functional at least.
- The checkpoint finder... it's functional but it is still a mess. However, there is no way I can improve it without significant code rewrite. The finders rely on 3 different files, .raw, .act and .aai. Raw and Act are easily obtainable with FlyRaw but .AAI is not. It's an anti-aliasing mechanism and the game simply crashes without it. Hence there is no way I can make it 100%. Meh. Have to go through the code and remove any sort of dependency on this file. The dashboard also makes heavy use of AAI which also means I got no chance of getting that to work properly either.
- I am not able to lock out the non-3dfx compatible resolutions. I have come to realize the game doesn't have a mechanism to tell itself apart from 3dfx or direct3d. It only tells itself apart from software. Instead I chose to label 3dfx the two workable options. 640x480 and 856x480 (remember, for 856x480 you need to set nGlide to stretch the screen to end up with proper wide screen).
- Instant Replay is fugly but I have no desire to spend my immediate time making it pretty. Maybe I will fix it eventually but it's extremely low priority. However, I do want to point out something weird is going on with the zoom out button. I haven't been able to find why. Most of the the time it doesn't render correctly and it overlaps the other buttons. You might have to open the replay window several times until the button works properly (it doesn't display correctly but it doesn't overlap the other buttons).
- The joystick calibration has an extra green line to the left. Does not affect usability in any way.
- About screen doesn't work. 4/5 it crashes.
- Software mode crashes on some tracks (like Fila's Adventure) but Direct3d/3dfx works fine.
Still To Do:
- While you guys are testing this I will fix About screen + the two loading screens. If no other significant issues come up, once I have the new screens ready I will launch this as the first community patch. And after the release of the community patch I will start investing time into improving the game like increasing the draw distance even further, increase object limits and trying to get the dern menu to disappear under Win8/10 (this menu thing has become essential due to the finder only half working) etc. I will post a more detailed thread about what the future holds once the full release is upon us.