MTM2.com

A forum for mtm2 discussion
FAQ :: Search :: Members :: Groups :: Register
Login
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:01 pm

Post subject: Cant play online
PostPosted: Sun Sep 18, 2016 2:08 pm 

Hi all.

First of all I am back since uhm.. 12yrs ago..
Its great to see some people are still around, I'm pleased to see you all again :)
Looking forward to my first race/rumble at voobly.

However I was not able to join a game succesfully sofar. Hosting a game did not work either.
Even connecting with IP-game does not work
I have the ports port forwarded on my router, even when I enabled DMZ it wont work.
When I check the ports they still seem to be closed.

Anyway, I'll be around the lobby
Greetz T2A

Post subject: Re: Cant play online
PostPosted: Sun Sep 18, 2016 2:21 pm 

Did you check the Windows firewall?

If the answer is yes... well idk anything about networking or related things with that, but you can try to check the ports with this program(https://portforward.com/help/portcheck.htm) if everything is all right, you might not have a problem at all.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 18, 2016 6:59 pm 

ok..here's the thing I didn't have the time to fully explain about that. You can check your computer's internal IP (assuming you're behind a router) by going to start menu, and, depending on the version of Windows you're running..if it's Windows 7 or 10, and maybe 8 and Vista, not sure.. just type "cmd" to open a command prompt, when it opens, type "ipconfig" and it will show the internal ip address and stuff that goes with it..for other versions of windows, go to Start, Run, then type "cmd" to get the command prompt..and type "ipconfig".

Now you have your computer's IP address; You can forward the ports to your computer (say right now your computer's IP would be whatever the command prompt said it was, like "192.168.1.xxx" or something"), but note, it's not the "Default Gateway"...Default Gateway is the address of your router, not your computer. So..you would go into your router, (open a browser and type the address of the default gateway) and forward the MTM2 ports to the IP address of your computer..but here's the catch:

Your computer's IP address can change, because of DHCP; kind of called a dynamic IP address..DHCP is a service in the router that releases IP addresses of devices and gives them fresh addressess..so, you could be able to play online one day, but then get online the next day and it could not work properly because your computer would have a new internal IP address.

This is what "could" be changed if you really want to, once you get the game working.. you could set your computer or router to leave the IP address alone, and keep the IP the same, if you want to, it won't change it. If that's what you want though, takes a little more work but we gotta get your game to work first. Also, The main thing to worry about is that the ports you're forwarding are going to your computer, and if they are and the game still isn't working, then like Extremo said, maybe there is a 2nd level of defense, like a firewall or something like that.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2016 6:34 am 

Np Mares. I know bud but I had to go sry for that.

I port forwarded to the IP4V adress so I guess I did the right thing.
I even disabled the firewall, but still it says those ports are closed :(

I will try to set a static IP. Ill do some research this week.
Lets hope it works then

:)

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2016 2:13 pm 

I can only try and help you starting Sunday as I am on a working road trip until then. One quick question: How is your internet set up? Like physically? Does the cable go into one box (modem/router?) and from that box it goes into a 2nd box (wifi router)? Or is it just 1 box for everything?

I had the experience with people using two boxes and they were both routers (if one box is a modem and the second a router then it is fine). When that happens the first router will block traffic going into the second router no matter what you do.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2016 3:43 pm 

Fila wrote:
I had the experience with people using two boxes and they were both routers (if one box is a modem and the second a router then it is fine). When that happens the first router will block traffic going into the second router no matter what you do.

"No matter what you do"..are you sure about that? What if you try to access the external router and forward the ports to the internal router's address (probably the default gateway)?, or will you not be able to access the external router? (Internal router being connected to your computer, external being connected to the internet), then using the internal router continue to forward the ports to your computer...if you're able to access the external router?

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2016 12:58 am 

It's a huge mess and you are at the mercy of the quality of the software by whoever made the router(s). If you are lucky it can work but this is more luck based. Think of the situation of how some routers can join games without the need to touch any settings and some routers need to have the ports open to even join. When you have two routers head butting like this it's seriously a crapshoot and nothing else.

The best way to approach such a case iis to turn the first router into a pass-through modem (most routers should have this option). What that does is it basically turns the router into a modem and disactivates all the router specific stuff.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2016 7:04 am 

The cable that enter is connected to the NIU. From there there's a connection to a motorola modem (SBV6120E -Its not wireless so I dont think this is a router but not sure).
Between the Dlink router and the modem there is a DLINK switch (DES-1005D).

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2016 10:39 pm 

TurnToAshes wrote:
The cable that enter is connected to the NIU. From there there's a connection to a motorola modem (SBV6120E -Its not wireless so I don't think this is a router but not sure).
Between the Dlink router and the modem there is a DLINK switch (DES-1005D).

From the sound of it, that just doesn't seem right..I acronymfinder'd "NIU" and it sounds like "NIU" would be your computer, and this quote sounds like it's set up like this...:
internet comes in from the wall -> dlink router -> dlink switch -> motorola modem -> your computer

From what I'm seeing you write, that's what it seems, and if that's the case, then it looks like something's out of place or something, or you're misunderstanding something about how it's set up heh..orrr..the dlink router is actually a modem itself, and if that's the case then maybe you don't actually need the motorola modem, I dunno..

In further detail, it looks like you might have a similar setup to what I have, because I have a modem, a router, and a switch, and several computers in my house that are plugged into the switch. But say "NIU" is actually your ISP that comes in from the wall...if that's the case, then I think it might should be set up like this:
NIU -> modem -> router -> switch -> your computer(s)

So, it should actually be like... "between the switch and the modem, there should be a router", if you have a switch, then plug the router into the modem, and plug one of the ports on the switch into one of the ports on the router..then, plug the computers in your house into the switch. Then the router will use the switch to host more computers, that might work better..try that.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2016 8:08 am 

My setup is like this:
NIU -> modem -> switch -> router -> your computer(s)
-> digicorder 1
-> digicorder 2

I will try a setup like you said:
-> digicorder 1
-> digicorder 2

However I consider to call the networkdistributor to place a wireless modem, so the setup would become:
NIU -> modem -> switch -> your computer(s)
-> digicorder 1
-> digicorder 2

Would this be better?

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2016 8:06 pm 

TurnToAshes wrote:
I will try a setup like you said:
-> digicorder 1
-> digicorder 2
Would this be better?

I think it would be, but I don't think you need to call your ISP to do it, unless they're the ones that actually set it up like that. Just gotta track down a few wires and rearrange where they're plugged into. Like your computer..unplug your computer's cable from the router and plug it into the switch. Then unplug the modem's cable from the switch and plug it into the router. Then you should be set. Meaning...:

The Modem gets plugged into the outside internet & Router; the Router gets plugged into the modem & switch; the switch gets plugged into the router & computer(s).

lol sorry the pic is kinda cheesy..I'm left handed I've never been good at freehand drawing stuff on the mouse, actually kind of a pun

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2016 8:41 pm 

Any luck? I am finally back and I am able to try and help you out now.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2016 6:24 pm 

Did my suggestion help any? ...

btw: in the picture I showed, the red and green links between router/switch/modem/computer show the cables that plug into each one...but I should have left a key of some type in that picture. The red cables are just bad connections and the green cables are just good connections; for example..in the picture, the computer is red to the router but green to the switch, meaning the computer shouldn't be wired to the router directly, but should be wired to the switch....(unless you don't have a switch)..thing is, you told me you have a switch, modem, and router, so it should go to the switch. If you didn't have the switch then it actually would be modem -> router -> computer.

Anyways, example of the red links like, the modem and switch, the modem was wired to the switch, but you have a router too, so that was a bad connection; modem should have been wired to the router instead....unless you don't have a switch or a router but do have a modem lol, if you want to guaruntee online play and say f everything else, you can just take the modem and wire it directly to the computer and you got online play and your computer will have an external ip address, but that's a little risky security-wise and stuff, but hey..whatever works.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2016 7:10 am 

The problem is that the modem has been placed on a wall under a ceiling :p
I have tried some settings with the firewall first, just waiting for someone who can try with me.

If thats not working, I could look into your wiringsetup NM, its just not easy to realise it ;)

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2016 4:44 am 

Well, what I suggested is the setup I use for my house, and I have all the hardware you have..a modem, a router, and a switch, and on top of that, a "Vonage" box for our phone line..but I just plug that into the switch, like I plug our computers into our switch.

The coaxial cable for my cable modem comes into the wall from outside through the hole they drilled (lol), plugs into our cable modem..then an ethernet cat5 cable goes from the cable modem and plugs into our router..then another ethernet cat5 cable goes from our router and plugs into one of the random ports of our switch, doesn't matter which one, I just plug the router into one of the ports 1-8 on the switch because whichever port I use, the router should function properly and do its job with the dhcp and assign IP addresses and internet to all the devices/computers I plug into the switch..so from there on, I plug my Vonage box into the switch via ethernet cat5 cable, and I plug in my computer to the switch via ethernet cat5 cable, my dad's computer plugs into the switch via ethernet cat5 cable..etc.

But it's like I said on voobly, with DHCP the router can change your ip address over time, that's the only problem, and when it does, gotta be prepared for it..so just gotta either keep a static IP address or be ready to log back into the router to change the IP address (your computer's most up-to-date ip address) the ports or DMZ gets forwarded to.

Oh by the way, dunno how fast your switch is and don't know how fast your internet is....but if your router / modem / switch, if any of them are slower than your service provider's plan and stuff, like...say you're paying for like 100mbit internet or something, or say you're paying (just hypothetical for example), say you're paying for 150 mbit (NOT 150 MB/sec) but 150 mbit, say you're paying for 150 mbit download speed of internet, and your router and switch are only top speed of like 100 mbit or something, you would only get up to 100 mbit download speed and not the full 150 mbit that you'd be paying for (just hypothetical).. also I upgraded from a docsis 2 modem to docsis 3 modem or some garbage it was complicated you might want to look at this site lol, strange things happening in this world while they increase connection speed... just a heads up, but I don't know how fast your equipment is so don't let me get the best of you :) https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DOCSIS

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2016 1:36 pm 

Latest test was succesfully for 50%
Sofar I have not changed the setup.
I changed the firewall setting as in this topic viewtopic.php?f=13&t=7219&hilit=firewall

Anyway, I can join now woohoo!!
I did not manage to host a game yet but at least I can run some with you all soon!

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2016 5:44 pm 

Well, cool that's progress so that's good