MTM2.com

A forum for mtm2 discussion
FAQ :: Search :: Members :: Groups :: Register
Login
It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 5:17 am

Post subject: MTM2 Beta Patch 0.41 (post comm patch 2) - testing required
PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2018 7:41 pm 

Edit: Updated with a link towards patch 0.42 which fixes online play

PLEASE READ THIS THREAD CAREFULLY!!!!!!!!!!!!

There are two different approaches to this patch:

1. If you just want to play the game, download the files, read the first part of the thread and carry on (but if you are interested what this patch brings, read the thread).
2. If you are a truck maker, you need to read everything.

3. This patch requires you to have Comm Patch #2 already installed. Otherwise IT WON'T WORK!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Just copy paste the two files over the comm patch #2 installed files and it will work.

For everyone

- this patch fixes the chase near transparency issues with the trucks. There's a compromise as now objects far away in the distance might have transparency issues but they are pretty much near the end of the 120 max limit view. I know now what code is giving this issue but I don't know yet whether it's a DirectX5-7 limitation or TRI's code going off the rails somewhere.
- 1360x768 and 1366x768 still not working natively.

For truck makers

- unlocked all 4 wheels. Now truck makers have to supply all 4 individual wheels + the original ones required by the game. (or just use the standard ones if you don't want to use different wheels)
- added the possibility of having a second axle bar above the original one.

WARNING FOR TRUCK MAKERS

Please don't start releasing trucks for this patch yet. While I do encourage you to start making trucks with this patch in mind (also we need to test out the patch so we need a few beta trucks), please bear in mind we have to test this and make sure there are no issues. The trucks need to be made compatible with the original MTM2 code (or at least it would be nice of you to do so. It's a simple process to keep the compatibility). I will also try and figure out a way to separate uploaded trucks on MTM2.com and signal them to be "enhanced" trucks or 2.1 as I call them.

Instructions how to make trucks for 0.41

Please read carefully. I have attached a .trk file to the download as an example of how 2.1 Enhanced trucks should be made.

1. Different tire models

This patch now allows for you to create trucks and have all 4 tires individual models. How is this achieved:

- You create the truck as you usually do and get everything ready to build the .pod file. Considering there is a lack of tools that supports 0.41, you will likely have to build the .pod file first and then use cpod to change and/or add files inside the pod. It's up to you how you want to make this happen. I will tell you what the pod needs for everything to work correctly.
- The pod file MUST contain tires that end with 16FL.BIN, 16FR.BIN, 16RL.BIN and 16RR.BIN These are self explanatory. It's front left, front right, rear left and rear right. 0.41 will search for these models to get the game going so you are now free to do whatever you want. You DO NOT NEED to add 10FL.BIN and 08FL.BIN etc (the supposedly lower detail tires). The game won't look for them.
- However. To keep compatibility with the original game. You MUST ALSO add the standard .bin files. So that means 16L.BIN, 16R.BIN, 10L.BIN, 08.BIN etc. There's also a good chance that the game won't run without having these inside the pod but I'm not sure.

2. Editing the .trk file

Now that is done, the .trk file needs to be edited as well, otherwise the game won't register the new information. There's an example .trk in the download.

- You must manually change the name from
MTM2 truckname
to
MTM2.1 truckname

Once you change it to 2.1, the patch will know to look for the enhanced information. If you keep it as "MTM2 truckname" then the game will treat the truck as a standard MTM2 truck and won't look for the additional info nor for the additional tires (so you just use the standard .bin names)

- at the end of the file, after the Number of Lights and the actual number you must add the following:
superiorAxlebarOffset

The first 200 is the Y value for the front axle connection.
The 2nd 200 is the Y value for the back axle connection.
The 400 is the Y value for the midpoint connection.
These are my default ones that I have noticed work well but you are free to modify as you see fit. Only use integer numbers. So no . or ,

This information is MANDATORY that it comes there at the end. If you include it, 0.41 will pick it up and create a new axlebar that you are free to position vertically as you want. However all the other positioning is strictly tied to the original axlebar. If you don't include it then the game will not create a new bar. Also, the original mtm2 game will simply ignore this information so compatibility is achieved.

Personally I have added an explanation how this works in the example .trk file. You are free to chose whether you want to include that information or not. Please keep in mind that by including the information you might help others along the way.

Download file

http://www.mtm2.com/~mtmg/misc/Beta0.42.zip - 1mb

Post subject: Re: MTM2 Beta Patch 0.41 (post comm patch 2) - testing requi
PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2018 4:39 pm 

So I'm still getting shine through issues, unless I missed something I was supposed to do...

Will have to play around with the truck settings later!

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2018 4:50 pm 

Nope. I just copied the two new files and in my case the shine through was gone.

I don't know if it matters, but here are my settings in the nvidia control panel. I don't think it matters because I don't have any shine through issues in my other 3 mtm2 folders that aren't showing up in the nvidia control panel.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2018 5:05 pm 

So are you still getting shine through issues using chase near? And on all the trucks? For example in my case I used to see the springs in your HD trucks using chase near and now that doesn't happen anymore.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2018 6:14 pm 

You posted the incorrect link! http://www.mtm2.com/~mtmg/misc/Beta0.42.zip

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2018 6:39 pm 

FILA YOU MAGNIFICENT HUMAN BEING!

Attachment:
beta0dot41test1.jpg

Attachment:
beta0dot41test2.jpg

Attachment:
beta0dot41test3.jpg

So this one patch solved the shine through and implementing the new rear tires and axle bars was easier than I could have hoped. Flipping awesome.

I can post the truck elsewhere if anyone wants it to play around with. Won't take a hell of a lot to convert the other trucks, the process above is pretty foolproof. Definitely opens up a whole new world for trucks in several ways.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2018 9:06 pm 

Cale wrote:
You posted the incorrect link! http://www.mtm2.com/~mtmg/misc/Beta0.42.zip

Bahahahahahaha. Sorry about that. Fixed it.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2018 9:07 pm 

I'll make some changes to the upload. I am thinking of doing them as 2.1 Custom, 2.1 Replica, 2.1 Repaint.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2018 9:15 pm 

If you want you can upload it as Beta for now (and label it 2.1) and once I have the new system in place you can upload the others.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2018 9:50 pm 

There might be online issues with this patch. I am looking into it.

Edit: The issues are when playing online 0.41 with any previous mtm version.

Edit 2: The issues have been fixed with a hotpatch.
http://www.mtm2.com/~mtmg/misc/Beta0.42.zip

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2018 7:03 pm 

http://www.mtm2.com/MTM2/Trucks/dl.php?dl=6472

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2018 7:37 pm 

Well I'll be damned, the see through issue is now completely gone, and it only took ya like 12 months to fix it. Cheers Fila!

If there one thing I noticed in this patch however is the cameras for the rear and front at times becomes fixated on the trucks for like a few minutes/seconds, goes back to normal, and then becomes fixated over and over again, and it just so happens whenever Reflections (except for Truck Reflections.) is turned on. If I turn it off the problem goes away, but will come back the moment I turn it back on again.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2018 9:38 pm 

I have always had that camera problem, all the way back to 1999 when I started playing. I have wondered about it but I haven't really looked into the code yet. Though I never had the problem last "minutes", just less than a second, more like the camera lags (always had it off since 1999 as it interfered with my racing). I will look into it to see if I get the same minutes problem.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2018 1:03 pm 

Ok I did some further testing with the test truck.

Online play works fine. As long as the truck is set up correctly, 0.41+ can play with any of the prior game versions. If prior game versions have the truck mounted, it's just going to show up as standard on the previous versions (standard tires + one axle bar). If both have 0.41+ trucks show up correctly.

Specifically a dgVoodoo 2 direct3d/directx issue:
Upon further testing I have found that by fixing the truck see through issue, it messed up some tracks and generally tracks with flat surface (Crazy 98 for example). They will end up with crazy clipping issues. Reducing the visual distance to 100 solves the problem. I know, it sucks, you always want to go higher but until I can figure out exactly why it's doing this, a solid compromise is to keep visual distance at max 100. Tracks with non-flat terrain don't seem to be affected by this problem.

This problem does not happen if you are using Direct3D mode without dgvoodoo. (surprise surprise)

Try as I might, I have not been able to replicate the camera problem (with or without dgvoodoo). Even further, I have not been able to replicate the camera lag that I have always experienced since 1999 O_O

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2018 8:17 pm 

Ok, so I downloaded the patch and put it into my game folder. Now when I try to run it, first my anti virus flags the .exe. Then if I tell it to run anyway, I get an error saying: "Windows cannot access the specified device, path, or file. You may not have the appropriate permissions to access the item." this never happened until I tried to add the new stuff. I'll try and bump it back to patch 2 and see what happens

EDIT: Reverting it to patch 2 got it working again. I believe it is a problem with the executable, but I don't know if it's something specific to my antivirus (Avast Security) or my computer, if either.

Nat Gage (She/They, pls)
I used to be PM Customs but now I'm taking meds for that ;)

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2018 9:45 pm 

Eh, it's from the same source as Comm Patch 2 and built using same machine. The only difference is that I reinstalled Windows 10 between patch 2 and this one.

Can you add monster.exe to ignore list on avast? It might be that it's detecting that it has the same name but a different size.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2018 11:34 pm 

Had a notification from Avast this morning saying that it submitted the program for review and it came back clean. I re applied the patch and everything is golden now.

Nat Gage (She/They, pls)
I used to be PM Customs but now I'm taking meds for that ;)

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2018 1:24 am 

It probably did it because I haven't changed the actual file version number so avast probably had it logged with a certain size so that threw a tantrum when it read same file number and name but different size.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2018 4:11 am 

I've opened up the site for 2.1 trucks to be uploaded. From now on, when you upload a truck, you can select 2.1 Trucks from the drop down list. In time I might also make a separate 2.1 truck page (for example the way replicas have their own page).

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2018 8:35 pm 

HD Truck Pack 2.1 update now available!!!

http://mtm2.com/MTM2/Trucks/trucks.php? ... Pack+-+2.1

I've uploaded one zip (Replacement) as a direct replacement TRUCK2.POD for the Community Patch - back up your old one, then extract the new one into the game folder and start it up! Choose Bigfoot HD and if you see different rear tires you'll know you're in business. This pod includes the files for the stock trucks to allow for this.

The second zip (Standalone) is a standalone pod of just the HD trucks. If you have an original TRUCK2.POD from a vanilla install of the game you can copy that into the Community Patch folder and then add this standalone to pod.ini to get the new trucks. I also figure this will be less messy for when people start to edit them.

There's 2 new trucks in the pack as well - Bigfoot Racer (the classic red and yellow stripe scheme) and the original red Snake Bite. Only Bigfoot, Firestone Wilderness, and Snake Bite (the green one) have different rear tires, but all of the trucks have the second set of four link bars. This looks a lot better on Monster Patrol, for example, as well as some of the other trucks. I have not edited the positioning of the bars from Fila's baseline, but they're close enough that I think it's a big improvement on its own.

Let me know if you encounter any problems, and more importantly, enjoy! I hope I start seeing other 2.1 and HD style trucks from other makers soon!