MTM2.com

A forum for mtm2 discussion
FAQ :: Search :: Members :: Groups :: Register
Login
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:35 am

Post subject: MTM1 drags
PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2018 1:02 am 

Is there a way to get the drags from mtm1 as a .pod file? (not converted to mtm2 though).

Post subject: Re: MTM1 drags
PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2018 1:35 am 

Also... how do you add a custom track to mtm1?

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2018 6:32 am 

You need Podman to mount MTM1 pods.

I think you'd have to pull the drags out of...game.pod, is it? using Tracked 1. Unpod it, clone the SIT files, and then re-pod them individually under a new name. You may not even need to clone the SIT files, just repod them individually in Tracked. I've run TRI's CART editor in DosBox, so you should be able to get Tracked working there. I'd offer to do it but I've now got a newborn (!) so time is fleeting.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2018 2:09 pm 

Oh that excuse :p

I think I got it right. I managed to load it into mtm2 (I changed some code to do that) and it said race unsupported and crashes when I try to load it so now I have to figure out how to get the old code working.

I don't see why they took drags out in the first place. Btw, did people make drags for mtm1 or was it only circuits and rallies?

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2018 2:13 pm 

Hmmm. Scratch that. I wonder if I messed up because I used cpod. The track loads weirdly into traxx and I'm not sure whether it's because of the mtm1 parameters or something going wrong inside cpod.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2018 3:42 pm 

Where do you get tracked 1? I can't install it. It refuses to install in windows and using doxbox it says it's a windows installer.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2018 5:27 pm 

http://mtm2.com/~mtmg/downloads/mtm1/tracked.exe

I may play around with it tonight...D-Fend Reloaded let me use the CPR editor in Dosbox, so that might be useful.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2018 6:49 pm 

SO!

The tracked.exe on this site is a self-extracting ZIP. I used 7Zip to open and extract it...but the setup.exe file contained within won't open in Windows 10...I got rid of my virtual machines on the computer since they were really finicky but if you have a Windows 95 or 98 virtual machine you may be able to do it...I have it as a ZIP now and can send it.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2018 2:18 am 

Well yeah that's the thing the one on this site doesn't allow to install. I have it unzipped, that's not the problem. Meh. I will have to look into this as I need to make sure that my c-pod conversion didn't mess anything up before I can attempt to re-implement drags into mtm2.

I tried opening the converion in traxx and it opened fine, for the most part. The stadium was in the middle of the map while the actual course was elsewhere and I'm not sure if it's a normal reaction based on not officially being recognized or whether cpod messed up something. That's why I asked how do you add tracks to mtm1 to first test it's working correctly.

I don't have podman (couldn't restore it for mtmg).

PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2018 5:33 am 

Well, now you do :-)

I believe the MTM1 stadiums work in the same way the MTM2 arena works, it's just used as a backdrop. I remember the same thing from goofing around with them years ago, but again, I'd have to get into Tracked to check it out.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2018 6:45 am 

Just a suggestion for whenever or not the drags come back to MTM2. I reckon this image would do nicely for The Draw splash screen in between races.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2018 2:14 pm 

So something went wrong with my cpod conversion as MTM1 won't load my drag race and it crashes at same spot as when I try it out in mtm2.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2018 2:28 pm 

Actually I just podded game.pod in my patched mtm2 and it works. The drags are loaded. Some levels load correctly while in others the truck is set in no man's land (same thing I noticed in traxx). Anyway, this is good. As long as this loads I can try and figure out how to get mtm1 drag system back working. Also the stadiums aren't loaded correctly but I'm sure that's an easier fix.

Edit: The no man's land might be because only 2 truck positions are set and the other 6 are left in the middle of nowhere and I have default 8 trucks in mtm2.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2018 3:39 pm 
MTM2 Engineer

Cale wrote:
I've run TRI's CART editor in DosBox,

how do you get to run cpredit on dosbox? I get a "cannot init 256x256 cache" error when I try.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2018 3:12 am 

I can't for the life of me figure out how to activate the code that does the lines on the ground.

Basically the drag stages and disquals are triggered by checkpoints and there's a code that, supposedly, finds the bottom of the checkpoint and draws a line. But I can't for the life of me get this code working.

In other news the drag checkpoints work correctly.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2018 6:11 am 

That's huge news. I'm suspecting, other than the lines, implementing the "The Draw" screen is going to be the most complicated part.

I wouldn't worry too much if you can't get the line code to work. That's a pretty easy fix for a cognizant track maker, just make a flat line model and place it at the same coordinates.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2018 11:54 am 

The draw screen will indeed be complicated. There's some remnants of the original code for the screen but a lot of it will need to be written by myself.

While what you said is a workaround for the lines, it would be much better if I could get it to work as originally intended as the lines would then always be precise and that counts in a drag with tight margins.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2018 3:42 pm 

Ah. I discovered the problem. TRI's drag line code only works with software renderer BUT only when it comes to objects because they are using the same line drawing code for the map which obviously gets generated no matter what 3d graphics.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2018 1:36 am 

Think I have to give up on getting those lines drawn. I've got most stuff working minus the "tournament style" which will be looked at at a later date (it requires changes to the menu and a tighter integration between drag/menu and all sorts of stuff that I don't have time for right now).

I think I will look into the lines thing once I finally figure out how to port the game to OpenGL and/or DirectX11?

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2018 9:16 pm 

Fila wrote:
Think I have to give up on getting those lines drawn. I've got most stuff working minus the "tournament style" which will be looked at at a later date (it requires changes to the menu and a tighter integration between drag/menu and all sorts of stuff that I don't have time for right now).

I think I will look into the lines thing once I finally figure out how to port the game to OpenGL and/or DirectX11?

It would be really interesting to make a really old PC game compatible with new versions of DirectX.