MTM2.com

A forum for mtm2 discussion
FAQ :: Search :: Members :: Groups :: Register
Login
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:28 am

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 122 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next   
 Post subject: Re: MTM2 Beta Patch 0.43 - Drag me to the finish line
PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2018 5:28 am 

As a matter of fact I am using automatic transmission, It's how I usually play racing games.

Legend_Of_Wii wrote:
I actually did that with my own version of MTM1's stock drags at one point when I was doing a "MTM2 version" of them TRI-styled, with updated textures and changes to certain models.
https://legendofwii92.deviantart.com/ar ... -661052063
(download button to the right contains the tracks in a .ZIP)
Feel free to look at and download and try them, if anyone wants to play with them, be my guest.

Not bad, but could be done better, particularly with Cale's new RCA Dome model.

Mind you, I am curious about the Canfield track you've made for MTM1, cause by the looks of the textures, they look liked they've been ripped via satellite imagery of the actual fairgrounds, and then used for texturing the layout of the track.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2018 12:22 pm 

Automatic transmission makes the acceleration to be slower hence why you are struggling against AI trucks in straight drags.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2018 11:12 pm 

Fila wrote:
Automatic transmission makes the acceleration to be slower hence why you are struggling against AI trucks in straight drags.

And we mean a lot slower, like you can leave them standing still in 3rd gear.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2018 6:40 am 

That extreme eh? I never tried running auto since I never use it. Will maybe look into this at some point.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2018 1:54 pm 

SparkTB11 wrote:
Not bad, but could be done better, particularly with Cale's new RCA Dome model.

Mind you, I am curious about the Canfield track you've made for MTM1, cause by the looks of the textures, they look liked they've been ripped via satellite imagery of the actual fairgrounds, and then used for texturing the layout of the track.

That's some fair constructing criticism. I'll have to agree with you there.
For me, my only complaint about the pack I have when I made them has to go to the rally tracks.
I believe the rallies were the most challenging part for me to envision what they'd look like now in MTM2 if TRI had them to return, the question I had at the time during the development on that pack I was working on came floating in my mind: "Would they keep them the same or would they try to update textures and models on them?" Heck I even tried using MTM2's actual water for Highlands Rally but it looks OK, I could've done better with that section lol.
Honestly I didn't know about Cale's new RCA Dome model when I made them tracks last year. XD
If anyone wants to make changes to my re-creations of any MTM1 tracks I have from the pack, kindly let me know and I'll be fine with that! I'd love to have a 2.0 of the pack with updates done by anyone from this site. I have many favorite truck/track makers on this site.

Yes, that's exactly what I did to the Canfield track. That was to get as "real" as possible on the racing section part of the drag replica. :P
Btw, the little pic with Bigfoot and Stinger racing from one event that goes in Canfield's thumbnail track preview, that happens to be my most favorite Penda Point Series event and race from the show of all times, because I'll never forget something that epic, especially when Bigfoot crashed which is quite memorable to me.

MTM Community Discord Server
https://discord.gg/JvF4sMYRbA
Feel free to join if you wish.

Founder of Team_Legendz
https://truckerlegends.voobly.com/

"Hey buddy, ready to get muddy?" ~ Army Armstrong
Addons is art!

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2018 11:21 pm 

Legend_Of_Wii wrote:
That's some fair constructing criticism. I'll have to agree with you there.
For me, my only complaint about the pack I have when I made them has to go to the rally tracks.
I believe the rallies were the most challenging part for me to envision what they'd look like now in MTM2 if TRI had them to return, the question I had at the time during the development on that pack I was working on came floating in my mind: "Would they keep them the same or would they try to update textures and models on them?" Heck I even tried using MTM2's actual water for Highlands Rally but it looks OK, I could've done better with that section lol.
Honestly I didn't know about Cale's new RCA Dome model when I made them tracks last year. XD
If anyone wants to make changes to my re-creations of any MTM1 tracks I have from the pack, kindly let me know and I'll be fine with that! I'd love to have a 2.0 of the pack with updates done by anyone from this site. I have many favorite truck/track makers on this site.

Yes, that's exactly what I did to the Canfield track. That was to get as "real" as possible on the racing section part of the drag replica. :P
Btw, the little pic with Bigfoot and Stinger racing from one event that goes in Canfield's thumbnail track preview, that happens to be my most favorite Penda Point Series event and race from the show of all times, because I'll never forget something that epic, especially when Bigfoot crashed which is quite memorable to me.

Now I kinda want to do the same to my drag track I've been working on, although Cale might just be in the process of remaking the Drags from MTM1 in HD form, therefore I don't really want to interfere with his work, and not to mention he's highly talented at what he does.

Speaking of Drags, would it be possible to create O Drags with the current drag system? Maybe even modifying the code to whereas you can do laps around the course without triggering the finish line checkpoint to end the race when you pass through it.

monsterextremo1199 wrote:
Nice job Cale, that looks sick!!

I have just made a video with this patch, I recommend to check it out, is awesome

https://youtu.be/SPV1xKhsKwY

Also, thanks to Destroyerfan for making the WF2 track, awesome track.

May I ask, how did you manage to make the actual drag course on a pre-existing track? Given that Traxx doesn't allow users to edit other users POD files.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2018 12:43 am 

You have to extract all the files from a pod using c-pod (or any other pod extracting program) then you can use traxx to clone the track using the extracted files.

viewtopic.php?f=10&t=2930

PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2018 2:18 am 

Never knew that was a thing, I always assumed that user made tracks were not allowed to be edited in any way just for the soul purpose of protecting intellectual property by the makers that made them, then again all I want to do with them is to make them into actual working drag races.

Fila wrote:
You either have to use ramps (which also simulate realistic jumping) or use a flat 2d black model. When a model is pure black it becomes transparent, so technically invisible. Malibu350 has created such 2d flat models to make AI trucks be able to go across the bridges he created like in this file. http://mtm2.com/~malibu350/scraps/zips/ ... idgSrt.zip

So if I'm assuming correctly, the AI trucks can't jump over obstacles with normal boxes?

Recently I did a drag conversion of a track made by JerOutlaw, otherwise known as Motorcity Fairgrounds. Although I'm able to jump the cars with no problems whatsoever, the AI however are unable to jump the cars and instead will slam into the cars as is if they were slamming into a wall. I'm starting to assume at this point that the reason for it is because the obstacles don't use ramp boxes but rather use normal boxes tilted to an angle so that it simulates a ramp, this is usually how draggers tend to make their drag tracks, just using normal boxes instead of ramp boxes.

Here's the pack that includes the track I've mentioned above. http://www.mtm2.com/MTM2/Tracks/dl.php?dl=5003

PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2018 11:30 pm 

SparkTB11 wrote:
Never knew that was a thing, I always assumed that user made tracks were not allowed to be edited in any way just for the soul purpose of protecting intellectual property by the makers that made them, then again all I want to do with them is to make them into actual working drag races.

Fila wrote:
You either have to use ramps (which also simulate realistic jumping) or use a flat 2d black model. When a model is pure black it becomes transparent, so technically invisible. Malibu350 has created such 2d flat models to make AI trucks be able to go across the bridges he created like in this file. http://mtm2.com/~malibu350/scraps/zips/ ... idgSrt.zip

So if I'm assuming correctly, the AI trucks can't jump over obstacles with normal boxes?

Recently I did a drag conversion of a track made by JerOutlaw, otherwise known as Motorcity Fairgrounds. Although I'm able to jump the cars with no problems whatsoever, the AI however are unable to jump the cars and instead will slam into the cars as is if they were slamming into a wall. I'm starting to assume at this point that the reason for it is because the obstacles don't use ramp boxes but rather use normal boxes tilted to an angle so that it simulates a ramp, this is usually how draggers tend to make their drag tracks, just using normal boxes instead of ramp boxes.

Here's the pack that includes the track I've mentioned above. http://www.mtm2.com/MTM2/Tracks/dl.php?dl=5003

Give lots of credit to the original creator and your probably in the clear for most people around here.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2018 10:25 am 

On second thought, forget everything I said about the normal boxes, the AI simply doesn’t have a chance in hell of jumping them. Ramp boxes have a much better jumping feel to them anyway.

Although I am really annoyed at why Traxx does not allow more than 10 ramp boxes. I wouldn’t be surprised if that were the reason why draggers don’t tend to use them in the first place.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2018 11:23 am 

Also note that the ramp boxes cause the trucks to react differently than using a flat box/going off a normal terrain jump. In both MTM 1 and 2, trucks will naturally jump with a nose-up orientation. Ramp boxes shoot the rear tires up a bit higher to get the truck to jump nose down. If you go up a high enough ramp box, the truck will eventually end up nose-up again, but no drag jumps get anywhere near that high. There's a trade off for this - the ramps actually cause the trucks to not jump as high either as a result of their mechanism, hence why the ramp boxes in are so big, to make sure the trucks are clearing the obstacles. I'm actually surprised they don't get used more in circuits, because there would be track elements where that behavior would be useful.

As an aside, I'm halfway working on a brand new RCA dome track, which is why I retextured it. Just haven't gotten around to doing the next steps because of life and things.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2018 3:58 pm 

10 is an odd number. The limits on everything can probably be increased.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2018 8:09 pm 

Slayer wrote:
10 is an odd number. The limits on everything can probably be increased.

Yeah, if someone can have the limits increased higher in number (including adding Drag as a choice for both games + be able to clone MTM1 tracks FOR MTM1 instead of just MTM2 all the time) for both programs Traxx and Tracked2, that would be lovely.

MTM Community Discord Server
https://discord.gg/JvF4sMYRbA
Feel free to join if you wish.

Founder of Team_Legendz
https://truckerlegends.voobly.com/

"Hey buddy, ready to get muddy?" ~ Army Armstrong
Addons is art!

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2018 10:36 pm 

First up:

Spark: You figured it out for yourself but just to confirm. Normal invisible boxes are drive-through for AI trucks. Drag makers always used normal boxes because they rarely featured AI trucks.

Ramps simulate a more realistic jump any way and are preferred for drags.

Second up:

The 10 ramp limit is an arbitrary number implemented by TRI in the actual game. It's easy for me to increase that number but traxx also needs it increased. I can get around to eventually do this but I'm going through very busy months right now which don't give me much time for doing all the fixes that the drags need at this moment.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2018 10:39 pm 

Cale wrote:
Also note that the ramp boxes cause the trucks to react differently than using a flat box/going off a normal terrain jump. In both MTM 1 and 2, trucks will naturally jump with a nose-up orientation. Ramp boxes shoot the rear tires up a bit higher to get the truck to jump nose down. If you go up a high enough ramp box, the truck will eventually end up nose-up again, but no drag jumps get anywhere near that high. There's a trade off for this - the ramps actually cause the trucks to not jump as high either as a result of their mechanism, hence why the ramp boxes in are so big, to make sure the trucks are clearing the obstacles. I'm actually surprised they don't get used more in circuits, because there would be track elements where that behavior would be useful.

As an aside, I'm halfway working on a brand new RCA dome track, which is why I retextured it. Just haven't gotten around to doing the next steps because of life and things.

Tbf I never paid much attention to hit. Only now when I fooled around with the drags I realized the difference in ramps. And going to my post above, I do actually want to increase this limit myself as I would like to eventually create a track that makes use of this ramp thing. The small jumps are just so much better with it.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2018 7:34 am 

Fila wrote:
Spark: You figured it out for yourself but just to confirm. Normal invisible boxes are drive-through for AI trucks. Drag makers always used normal boxes because they rarely featured AI trucks.

Well. If that's the case, why can't the AI simply go over obstacles with normal boxes but the player can? I kinda want to see this changed, cause I like to see the AI being able to go on top of cars that involve no ramps whatsoever, much like how in some races and exhibitions where monster trucks crush cars by simply driving towards them.

Also I tried a few box types in hopes that the AI can go over the obstacles without driving through them, no luck in getting it to work so far. :|

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2018 12:44 am 

Invisible boxes are drive-through for AI trucks. Period. Doesn't matter what type you are selecting, that's how it works. That's why people have created black flat models (that are invisible in the game) to act as a ramp for the AI trucks. Changing this would break hundreds of tracks.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2018 8:37 pm 

Understood. Not trying to be a pest here, just wondering what things can and can’t be done with the code.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2018 11:46 pm 

Honestly I don't know the extent of how that can be changed but what is for sure is that changing that will break compatibility with everything that has been created so will have to stick to as it is now. Will have to look into increasing the ramp thing when I get the chance.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2018 9:35 pm 

So, uhhhhhhhhh, something (a lot) isn't right...

Attachment:
monster 2018-07-03 22-25-15-399.jpg

Attachment:
monster 2018-07-03 22-25-24-813.jpg

Attachment:
monster 2018-07-03 22-25-26-554.jpg

Best I can gather is that, because Traxx doesn't play nicely with the MTM1 arenas, the fact that the drag template is based on one makes it super screwy. I can't figure out how to get the game to recognize that it's not an MTM1 arena backdrop - the .SIT file says there is no arena, but the game is still reading it somehow. I'd hate to reconstruct everything again from scratch, but if that's the way I have to go so be it. I also screwed up the start light colors somehow...

Functionally, though, it works great. I uploaded it to the Tracks page but it's not showing up at all. Fila, if you can get it on there maybe other folks can play around with it and see where I'm going wrong.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 122 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next