FAQ :: Search :: Members :: Groups :: Register
Login
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:46 pm

Post subject: 1997 Monster Truck Madness Challenge
PostPosted: Tue Jul 13, 2021 9:44 am 
MTM2 Engineer

Surfing thru the web I found this

https://archive.org/details/monster_truck_madness

Did any of you guys participate on this event? :) also what track is that? Sierra logging run?

Post subject: Re: 1997 Monster Truck Madness Challenge
PostPosted: Tue Jul 13, 2021 7:01 pm 

Definitely Sierra Logging Run. 12 year old me certainly didn't have internet at that point, let alone a Cirrus Logic video card, so I never entered haha.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 15, 2021 11:37 am 
MTM2 Engineer

I was 7 yrs old, I was still hookd on Sega Genesis and Sonic 2 at the time. A cousin had a pentium computer with like 16 or 8 mb ram, I never really cared about it until an aunt teach me how to play SkyFree and some other games of the Microsoft Entertainment pack. Then around 2000 I got my first computer and the WIN98 disc had a MTM2 Trial. the rest is history.

unrelated but I finally could get a hold of a legitimate copy (with serialkey and all) of MTM1 and CPR. Guess hellbender and f-zone is next. Or maybe 4x4 evo?

PostPosted: Sat Jul 24, 2021 5:15 pm 

I was not there, but thanks for posting this, I had never seen it before.

I recognize a few of the racers in the video that I met at the MTM2 Vegas tournament though.
The guy that won the tournament, and the truck, was Iceman. He drove the truck he had won at the NY tournament from Louisiana to Las Vegas for the tournament I was at. He told us the story of the race that went with that video. Really friendly guy. Unfortunately he passed away in 2004 and it was posted in the forum here http://forum.mtm2.com/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=2623

The guy he beats in the video is Spreker. He was also at the Vegas tournament, and one of the organizers of the whole thing. He has some extreme tracks he made posted on MTMG somewhere. I think he does the most talking in the video, he was very passionate about gaming and organized a lot of LAN parties that were a much more competitive way to play back in the days of dial up modems.

The third guy I recognize, I can't quite remember his name. He is the third one to speak in the video, putting on sunglasses. At the Vegas tournament, two people had won free trips to Vegas from Microsoft by winning in an online qualifying tournament. He and Behim had won the free trips, still can't remember his name though, very laid back guy from NY. He was on the same Zone team as Spreker and Iceman, RPM I think?.

Anyway, thanks again for posting this. Good luck finding more games. "Hellbender rules"

PostPosted: Sun Aug 01, 2021 7:44 pm 
Glow Ball

Kmaster wrote:
also what track is that? Sierra logging run?

Yeah, looks it.
http://www.mtm2.com/MTM2/Tracks/tracks. ... ing+Run+v2

Did you see (6:34) that 4mb sound blaster?

PostPosted: Fri Aug 13, 2021 2:57 pm 

Hello all. Virus ain't got ya yet, eh?

Quote:
12 year old me....

Quote:
I was 7 years old....

Heh-heh. I was 37. Some people never grow old. :wink:

I only discovered MTM2 in 1999 and went online with it 1-year later when I finally acquired a lowly dial-up internet connection. That was the first PC game that blew me away graphics-wise after I got a Voodoo-2 video card. Graphics were very pixel-heavy before then, including on my PS1.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 24, 2021 8:29 pm 
MTM2 Engineer

Nice to see you guys around!
I ran MTM2 on my Compaq Presario 7300s Trident blade 3d 8MB integrated graphics cards, until 2007 when I got a new computer (That computer had an intel IGPU and that's where my "overlapping backgroud" problems started. The solution to that is still pinned on the main board :) )

Got online around that year also, before that I had to go to internet cafes to upload my tracks/trucks and post nosense on this forum, with my 12-yrs-old english skills. I tried dial-up around 2005 but it was too expensive. Around $2 USD for just one minute and 56Kbp/s max. Got grounded a few times for being connected over an hour (in a country in which minimum wage was around 200 USD at the time). Hell, I gave my parents a hard time :lol:

That Presario ran MTM2 very smoothly, and by smooth i mean around 30fps max. The "computer opponents" kicked my *beep*. Fun times.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 31, 2021 4:18 pm 

Wow, I never knew there was a special event for Monster Truck Madness 1 held in New York City back in the late 1990s! It was probably very impressive.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2021 9:17 pm 
easy company

Kmaster this is a very cool find. I have not seen this before nor was I there but remember the event through zone chat, this was huge at the time and for many months afterwards. The video needs to be saved and posted here on the MTMG's history page when that guy who runs the site gets it done.

I had the good fortune to race with everyone there at one time or another back in the day... killers, everyone of them. I had no business being there in the same room but was inspired at how they could possibly find and hold a line so perfectly that I just had to try and learn from them.
But as fate had it I ultimately failed at racing then went on to fail at building tracks and trucks as well but man did I have a great deal of fun along the way giving it a shot thanks to the people below and many many others off track over the years that shirley will be part of the MTMG's history page when it's completed.

*beep* that was fun

PostPosted: Fri Oct 08, 2021 1:21 am 
Trackologist

Incredible. Quite a few familiar names on that list. Not sure if that's the same ATTITUDE that made tracks, but I remember a lot of guys from SHO (GUNN, NUFF, DEATH, POWER, didn't know Crazy). I remember getting hammered by FEAK, Bug, Apocalypse, Maniac, Marlboro and quite a few of the guys on LAPD. RIP_TK actually taught me how to race, used to laugh at me when I told him I was struggling to beat the computer trucks lol.

Of course, lots of the guys on that list are from the MTM-1 days whereas I didn't discover the Zone until just before 2000, and only I've only played MTM-2. Great stuff Kmaster!

PostPosted: Fri Oct 08, 2021 1:21 am 
Trackologist

Double post. Delete this if you see it, Fila. Thanks!