A forum for mtm2 discussion
FAQ :: Search :: Members :: Groups :: Register
Login
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 4:15 am

Post subject: Team SLO's replay page
PostPosted: Fri Feb 07, 2003 2:01 pm 

TEAM SLO is proud to present our .
replay page Just beside the Hall of fame picture
Ever wonder how we in Team SLO manage to know all those cuts on so many tracks? well, over the years, we've gathered replays and notes on over 100 tracks. If you're not to sure on how to use the instant replay in MTM2 read the tutorial.

It often take several hours of frustrating crashes before we figure out that little more efficient line and how to best take them cuts. We did the crashing part now you can save all them frustration by simply looking at those replays and see how it's done.

Keep on racing!!

------------------
Jumper
Only those who will risk going to far can possibly find out how far one can go.

<font size=1>Edited by SLO_Jumper (08-02-2003)</font>

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 07, 2003 2:49 pm 
Glow Ball

Great stuff. I think I need to spend some time looking at those.

edit. Would Jumper object if I linked to this page from here? I'd like to put a more direct link at the top of the forum.

http://www.slojumper.com/replay/

<font size=1>Edited by Phineus (08-02-2003)</font>

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 07, 2003 6:47 pm 

Oh no... Phinny turning into an actual racer? Nah... Image

------------------
"In my restless dreams, I see that town, Silent Hill..." - Mary, Silent Hill 2

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 07, 2003 10:22 pm 

Wow, very sporting of you to share those. I'm no racer but I can see that's some valuable stuff.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 08, 2003 1:40 am 
easy company

hey i was going to suggest such a thing for you slosters to do, but opted not too, nice to see you put it together :o)

hmmm, maybe there's a way i can splice in some audio commentary lol

------------------
if you think bigger is always better try to remember the last time you had a toothache.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 08, 2003 7:16 am 

Go ahead Phin, I made the page but i cant take all the credit for it. Lot's of them replays were made by my fellow teamies. Btw,i notice since you put a link to my hof it tripled the traffic on my site. Thx for the consideration.

WinterKill
[Wow, very sporting of you to share those.] It's dang sport from you guys to spend as much time as you did to make all those tracks we enjoyed racing on so much too...

------------------
Jumper

<font size=1>Edited by SLO_Jumper (09-02-2003)</font>

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 08, 2003 8:41 am 
Glow Ball

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 24, 2003 12:41 pm 
easy company

[expanded version]

I've had a chance to view a few of these replays, and I'm amazed at how accuratly you guys disect the tracks i've done, what I mean to say is that when I'm in the process of building a track I first vision a course then run hundreds of laps on it in the process of trying to develop a decent racing line out of it, by honing in on it, pounding out the rough spots, maybe adding a burm or raising a bank a tad for more speed here and there, perhaps adding a hook to a straight line or a bump or two, basically to try to polish it the best I can for maximum thrill and at the same time minimal aggravation... by the time I feel the track is complete I know that line, i'm satisfied with it, and it's burned into my brains hard drive so to speak, and from what I've seen so far you guys have not only found it, and exploited it, you've annihilated it with such surgical precision that you've gone beyond my own expectations from it.

The only thing that really pis ses me off though is that you make it look so dern easy lol, but I know it's not, I've been there, I've had the priveledge to race with and against some of the best and you guys/gals are every bit as good and even more so in some respects... which brings me to a point i've wanted to make, and that is the fact that we (the mtm community) have our very talented truck builders, dedicated track builders, , generous utility programmers, great mtm web sites chocked full of resources, intellegent and knowledgable mtm people that are always eager to help out a noobie just as much as if he/she were an old vet or a friend, we also have exceedingly verbose yet informative, assistive and constructive reviewers... but i'll tell ya what, without the ones who have what it takes to rip through a track [cliché ] like a hot knife through warm butter,[/cliché ] aka the racers, the racing elite as well as the ones striving for sub 50's on c98, it just would not gel.. you people are every bit as much of a part of the mtm foundation as anyone else, and I for one admire your abilities and thank you for your contributions.

[condensed version]

you guys rock!

<font size=1>Edited by Malibu350 (24-02-2003)</font>

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 24, 2003 10:41 pm 

Thx very much for those kind words buddy!

Hehehe it's sure true that when you guys spend several hours to make a nice track we sure spend at least as many to figure it out. As for the we make it look so easy, lol bud. Good thing we select only the best replays to demonstrate how to do it. Pushing the limit rise the number of crashes too hahahah it sure dont always look that easy.
In other words, dont lure yourself there, Not all races are ending with record laps. hehehe

Glad you find the replays usefull.

------------------
Jumper

<font size=1>Edited by SLO_Jumper (25-02-2003)</font>

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 24, 2003 10:59 pm 
Trackologist

<center>hmmm, maybe there's a way i can splice in some audio commentary lol</center>

No thanks, Mal--it's better with just engine noise lol. Besides, if I hear "Master J" one more time...lmao! As for the replay page itself, yeah, many have contributed, but Jump really deserves the bulk of the credit; he's the guy who pulled it all together and made it work. It's been a great tool for us for quite some time now. One replay can save hours of aggravation trying to learn what someone else already has, so what's not to like?

One point worth making, and maybe some of the newer track makers out there will read this...if a track maker pours his/her heart & soul into making a 3 min track, ensuring every aspect and nuance is just so without having knowledgeable people test it/provide feedback, they could get their feelings hurt after seeing one of these replays lol. A case in point is ZR1_DkriderX's "Pirate's Bay". He was severely disappointed to find his track had been sliced and diced down from 2+ min to a mere 1:21. Proper beta testing (plug) could have saved him some frustration. I'm not saying if a track goes thru all the "proper" beta testing channels it'll be flawless and void of any and all cuts. What I am saying is as far as shortcuts are concerned, the track maker will be informed of the obvious cuts (at the very least), and will have the option of negating them, making them more/less difficult or leaving them as is. The point is replays are very useful for racing, but they can definitely come in handy during beta testing to demonstrate to the author what cuts exist in their track.

Ok I'm done harping about that stuff lol. Mal, Phin, WK and everyone else...thanks for the positive words! Who knows - maybe this replay page thing will be the start a new trend. Image

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 25, 2003 2:26 am 

I always considered myself blessed by beeing a racer and doing tracks.
I usually create the racing line without even noticing it, it just works like a charm from the first go Image

Of course i have an unfair advantage, usually i know the track by heart when the beta stage pops up... then Cope and Master Jay Jay come and beat the cwap outta me Image

------------------
"In my restless dreams, I see that town, Silent Hill..." - Mary, Silent Hill 2