MTM2.com

A forum for mtm2 discussion
FAQ :: Search :: Members :: Groups :: Register
Login
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:51 am

Do you race in various weather condition?
No, I race in clear weather only 26%  26%  [ 5 ]
Oh yeah! I'll race anything under any condition 74%  74%  [ 14 ]
Total votes : 19
 Post subject: Racing in various weather condition
PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2004 1:03 pm 

I know that generally speaking racing in clear weather is far more popular but i recently had some great fun racing in group in various weather condition. So i just wonder if anyone else race in snow, rain etc.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2004 1:34 pm 
Glow Ball

I've raced online using random weather, and the only time we stopped was for dense fog, lol. You want a challenge, try and do a fast lap on certifiably crazy in pitch black. I think pitch black is the most fun cuz you want to go fast so you really have to know the track or your reflexes just aren't enough... and recovering from a crash can be nearly impossible. There was once a halloween tourney on grave yard, which is rain, but I never heard of one in snow yet.

Any weather? no. But not just clear either.

Oh, try hypercube in snow. lol, you might change your mind.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2004 3:07 pm 

We did Lapwop in the snow (6 way race) few days ago. let me tell ya, that's like racing in slow motion but the thrill remain hehehe.
We should try something like The grade next time. heheh

I recall also long ago when looking for a track to run in pitch black for the mother nature's revenge tournies. I ran a 1:39 on Holy sunday (hey 1:39 in pitch black) that was like steering only by knowing by hart how long to hold what direction. hehehe right term would be a nightmare.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2004 3:14 pm 
Trackologist

Well, we did Jeanie Talon's "Mother Nature's Revenge" tourney Series, which consisted of Castellar Mountain in the rain, Jumping Screwballs in the Snow, Denver Valley in dense Fog, and the final - Gollypop in pitch black lol. The outcome: 1. SLO_ObeOne 2. SLO_N8 3. SLO_COPE 4. DMS_Fila

That was a heck of a lot of fun, that's for sure. Recently the only thing I've done outside of clear weather was Breakneck Ridge in the snow. I can't say I'm a big fan of weather variations, but given the right mood (and a few choice beverages lol) I'm game. :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2004 3:19 pm 

Yeah Cope, I forgot to tell your wife to tell you that you like racing in those lol

So you would fit more in the Maybe i'll race in various condition occasionnally?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2004 5:33 pm 
Trackologist

Yep, but you don't have a category for that :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2004 5:58 pm 
easy company

The very first time I ever raced at the zone many moons ago I checked into a room that said something about stock track racing... I was still very green but felt I could handle a few laps on the stockers since I hadn't run much else up to that point... There were just two others besides myself, chucklez and insane I think they were, the host proceded to launch 'the heights' in pitch black :shock: ... I think I only made it half way around the track hitting every tree there was and they lapped me twice... I became hopelessly lost and asked to kindly end the game since they were both waiting at the finish laughing hysterically lolol

I've been a fair weather guy ever since :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2004 6:12 pm 
You Gonna Eat That?

I usually only race in Clear weather, but I enjoy running at Dusk too. Those are the only 2 settings I ever put it on, I've tried them all, but those are the best for me.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 24, 2004 11:01 am 

i'm with rep fan

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2004 12:00 am 

My favourite weather is snow actually. But i don't get many people to drive that in :(

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2004 4:02 am 

snow rocks. I hated it in the beginning, but Evil likes it so sometimes we race it. Evil told me a few hints and tips to go fast in snow and since then i love it.

Now i don't like tracks like Lapawop in snow because i think it just is to slow, but easier tracks are great in snow. A few weeks ago i had a great race on blue ridge run in snow.

Tracks that are more difficult are better driven in rainy conditions. You also slide a lot then, but not as much as in snow ofcourse.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2004 8:30 am 
Trackologist

What we need is like "sleet" or "freezing rain"...to add to the realism lol.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2004 9:33 am 

Something like freezing rain? geesh, yeah and those driving in cab would have to stop by the side every now and then to de-ice their wipers and windshield lol.

Quote:
Now i don't like tracks like Lapawop in snow because i think it just is to slow, but easier tracks are great in snow. A few weeks ago i had a great race on blue ridge run in snow.

Tracks that are more difficult are better driven in rainy conditions. You also slide a lot then, but not as much as in snow ofcourse.

Speed is relative, A very sharp curve at low speed can feel as fast (or as slow) as a wider curve at higher speed. I recall on Mother nature's revenge when we drove Jumping screwball in the snow. We had to anticipate a long time before the curve.

Anyway, Perhaps we'll extend this thread and turn it into tricks and tips for racing in various weather.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2004 6:30 pm 

Clear - Rain - Pitch Black

Dusk and cloud are basically the same as clear, night is silly because people max out their screen's brightness and drive like in daylight. From the remaining options pitch black is fun and rain is great. Snow might be fun to drive but is ugly (antialiasing produces the dreaded checkboard effect and objects get transparent).
Fog also reduces visibility and fits well with a few tracks but is otherwise a rather unpopular alternative to pitch black.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2004 12:01 am 

rocketalces wrote:
Clear - Rain - Pitch Black

Dusk and cloud are basically the same as clear, night is silly because people max out their screen's brightness and drive like in daylight. From the remaining options pitch black is fun and rain is great. Snow might be fun to drive but is ugly (antialiasing produces the dreaded checkboard effect and objects get transparent).
Fog also reduces visibility and fits well with a few tracks but is otherwise a rather unpopular alternative to pitch black.

Fog sucks. Snow rules :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 13, 2004 12:06 pm 

Fog 0wns when you have a 1mb videocard lol

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2004 12:11 pm 

I'm like Rep Fan. I'm mostly a clear weather driver, but if someone wants to run different weather that's ok too. Jump was right about setting up a turn very early on Jumping Screwball. That pretty much required a different driving style altogether. Denver Valley in dense fog was a matter of memorizing every bit of that track. Like Jump Said, you had to remember how long to hold the gas on before getting ready for the corners. It's all fun. [:P]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 13, 2004 3:05 pm 
Glow Ball

I hate to be the one to say it, but I don't think anybody races except in clear weather. We just did a bunch of truck shots and you wouldn't believe the number of light texture errors (over 20%). I figure either mine is the only computer these things don't run on, or nobody drives at night. And sure, it's true, it could be everybody is using software mode, but I don't know what there is about that idea but I think it unlikely. So, it seems that while most people are willing to race in different weather conditions, nobody is really actually doing it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 13, 2004 4:23 pm 

I race in other conditions. Ashes and I did a race in the rain at WGP2. Pretty darn slippery lol. We both had slicks on. :D I ended up spinning twice.