MTM2.com

A forum for mtm2 discussion
FAQ :: Search :: Members :: Groups :: Register
Login
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:55 am

Post subject: MTM1 to MTM2 -- a new fix-it pod
PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2000 9:48 pm 

A project (still in beta testing) that can benefit everyone who plays MTM1 tracks in MTM2 -- here is what it is/will be:

MTM to MTM2
(mtm2mtm2.pod)

A pod containing fixed versions of all MTM1 track props that do not display correctly in MTM2.

All models with an MTM1 transparent face type "shine through" the terrain in MTM2 tracks, as commonly seen with MTM1 checkpoint banners. Nearly all known models with face type problems have been upgraded to MTM2 face types and included in this POD. By mounting this POD at the top of your POD.INI file it will replace all instances of models with MTM1 face types in all of your mounted tracks, making your driving experience much more enjoyable.

What has been fixed:

Dozens of checkpoint banners (including stock, Yeastman, and GZ checkpoint banners).
The common MTM1 hotels.
All problem models from Oliver Peiper's "Derailed" track (glass, barrels, etc.) .
All problem models from dRod's "TheStorm" track.
A few miscellaneous models from other custom tracks.
The pod currently contains 43 checkpoint banners and a grand total of 83 models.
This POD also contains the cool blue water textures made by OOPS;-), to replace the stock MTM2 water textures. These are a deeper shade of blue than those in Yeastman's fixall.pod and they match up perfectly with the water in the tracks that OOPS;-) has made.

At this point in time I need testers and suggesters if anyone is willing.....

If you can simply suggest the NAME of tracks which contain models that need 'fixing' then please offer up your information. If you can provide a link, or the isolated files themselves that's even better.

If you're a tester and can find other models that need converting and have the skills to convert them then please do so. All models will be packed into the final POD with as little or as much credit as you'd like for your assistance.

I know the most common models are already covered, all that may remain is some obscure track specific models. I've already passed up a couple very obscure ones that I didn't want to waste time on but if anyone has any specific requests or work they want to include then in it will go.

There may even be some new models made for MTM2 that were given the wrong face types by mistake, if any such models are known they can be included as well. Any ideas on what may need fixing?

I'd like to hear any thoughts you all may have about this project.

I can tell you, this fix-it pod is great. I play a lot of MTM1 tracks and that shine through effect is one annoyance I've been happy to be rid of.

Download available:
<a href=http://www.geocities.com/TimesSquare/Corridor/9018/fixes.htm>fixes4mtm2</a>

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2000 2:23 am 
Glow Ball

Sounds great to me. The only thing I can think to add, if it's not in there already, is the mtm2 screw up checkpoint banners (in the startup.pod I think). Oh, also, to round off the job, MIYH created fix'd mtm1 backdrops and probably oliver pieper's fix'd stock mtm2 backdrops wouldn't be a bad touch. Then all that would be left is a comparison to yeastman's fixall to see how much overlap or gaps are left. If it was me, I'd merge these two in an instant. Great idea! I'm glad somebody's taken the time to do this - it should have been done long ago. Oh, can you make the mtm1 water look better?

------------------
- Phineus

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2000 6:49 am 

Hey, thanks, I knew of the banners from the startup pod but didn't check to see if I had all of them (I don't even know what they've ever done anyway, they are leftovers of old I guess). Anyway, turns out I don't have ckban8 + 9, I've never run across them in the pods I've tested but I'll be sure to convert and include them. I'm glad you mentioned it.

What's this about MIYH and fixed pods? did he add bottoms to the mtm1 backdrops? I noticed even the usual "fixed" ones don't have bottoms. If so they should certainly be included.

As for YM's fixall, I was hoping to avoid any crossover with that one since it's so widespread, and the fact I simply don't want to usurp anyone's previous efforts, including OP's. The one thing that may be in the new pod (maybe not) that would conflict with fixall would be the MTM2 water textures. I was thinking that situation could be solved by simply choosing which pod was mounted first, and I'm not sure which would take precedence during a pod merge. Anyway, so far this is designed to do what had not yet been done, and to compliment what has already been done.

As for mtm1 water textures, I imagine they could easily be replaced (same as any texture or model) but I don't have any good replacement and I don't think I'd want to include such a thing anyway, might make a lot of people angry Image

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2000 8:14 am 
Glow Ball

The banners in the startup pod? who knows, but every now and again they end up in a track. But what I really had in mind was the ones in the junk.pod. 8BBAN1-5 and JK8BAN1-5. I never remember the good ones and the bad ones, but one of them sets works and the other don't.

MIYH's MTM1 Drops are on the custom back drop model page. I haven't played with them but they should offer some help. Also, I see no reason not to just add OP's bins to the pod. I don't think they're the same as yeastman uses. In fact, I'm surprised somebody hasn't done that before now. They are sitting there perfect and ripe for using.

For Mtm1 water, I'd just check what yeastman has in his, look it over, and either use it as the base of your own new design or....

A simple note to yeastman asking to merge the efforts would be all it'd take for a fixall2.pod. He's strict about using things from his tracks, but this isn't a track and would share his name. Given that most people would merge right away anyway, I can't see the problem. Still, you never know, but it wouldn't hurt for asking.

My two cents today.

------------------
- Phineus

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 19, 2000 6:27 am 
Glow Ball

Just thought of something else. A short little klp file that would make the music loop on Altitude2 by monsta driva. I'll make if it you need me too.

------------------
- Phineus

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 19, 2000 9:31 am 
It appears that running your pod screws up Oliver P's DarkStar backdrop. A bunch of the black textures show up as a dirty white.

Or at least they did for me. I'll play with my pod.ini and see if that fixes it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 19, 2000 11:46 am 

Phineus: you've helped alot, thanks, I'll let you know what's up when the next update is ready. As for the klp, a good idea considering the popularity of that track --seems a harmless thing to add. so sure... make it, test it, and send it.

Andy: mount my fix pod above darkstar (or whatever track is using the backdrop Image but mount darkstar above all other track pods. If it's okay then it's another track messing it up and not my pod. In fact, I would say it's pretty 'impossible' that it's my pod ;-) Considering what it contains.

thanks, to both of ya. Image

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2000 3:15 am 
Ya, I knowz dat ya foo!

BTW, What about MTM1 backdrops? Does it do those?

I've been downloading MTM1 tracks lately (got tired of seeing Farm Road textures over and over again) and many of them still have the HOM.

Although I've noticed that some of them don't have backdrops at all, and maybe it's just those ones that catch my attention.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2000 3:06 pm 

Darkstar: was it the old mtm1 version or the mtm2 version? and was it my pod? It's funny you should mention it because I already have a fixed version of the original mtm1 darkstar backdrop included (in the pod on my hard drive only), I found it used in yet another mtm1 track and decided to fix it -- the original does not black out the sky in mtm2, so maybe that was the problem you had.

If you have the famous "fixall.pod" you should already have 'fixed' mtm1 backdrops, which extend much farther down and hide most hall of mirror effects.

I think I am going to let 'fixall.pod' handle the mtm1 backdrops. Leaving open the possibility of merging the two.

You are right about the mtm1 tracks that have NO backdrop, they have a fatal case of the HOM effect. The real fix for that is to extract the pod, edit the SIT, add a backdrop, add the art and models and re-pod it. But messing with someones stuff like that is not recommended. Another fix, which I have used myself, is to create a new pod with the fixed files in it and mount it above the track it fixes. I have a pod that brings the YMPACK completely up to mtm2 standards -- but this is only for my own private use. A side effect of having two same-named SIT files mounted is that the track is listed twice on the in-game menu.
<HR>

Here is the very last lines of a SIT file WITHOUT a backdrop:

*** Backdrop ***
backdropType,backdropCount
backdropModelName

Here is the very last lines of a SIT file WITH a backdrop:

*** Backdrop ***
backdropType,backdropCount
backdropModelName
11bdrop.bin

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 25, 2000 7:07 pm 
Glow Ball

quietly, a couple new textures to get rid of the specks in the golly pop backdrop.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2000 2:49 pm 

A public beta version of the POD is now available for download:
<a href=http://www.geocities.com/TimesSquare/Corridor/9018/fixes.htm>mtm to mtm2</a>

BETA update:
Suggested checkpoints have been added.
gp backdrop textures added (fixed pixels).
KLP added.
Fixed Darkstar backdrop for mtm1 added.
a few misc. models added.
OOPS;-) water textures for mtm2 added because I like them ;-)

Thanks Phineus!

For now:
No replacement mtm1 water textures added.
No mtm1 backdrops added -- fixall.pod covers this for now.

What else needs to go in?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 05, 2000 3:56 pm 
Glow Ball

It's been a couple days but thought I better come here and let you know. So far so good. I haven't had a chance to test everything out but from what I can tell, you've been thorough. Even the gp backdrop is a nice touch :-)

Let us know if your make any more progress.

------------------
- Phineus

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 05, 2000 6:18 pm 

Thanks Phin.

One new thing that should go in, is some transparent models from Dav's Extreme Luge track, they were made with mtm1 transparent face types instead on mtm2 types. I still need to contact Dav to ask if he'd like fixed versions included -- it could be he did it on purpose because he liked the way it looked in that area.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 05, 2000 8:52 pm 
Glow Ball

I heard rumors that the yeastman fixall does not use the OP fixed backdrops. Do you know if there's any truth to that? And if there is, which ones are better?

------------------
- Phineus

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 06, 2000 5:04 am 
Sorry WK, I completely forgot about this.

The other day I deleted a whole bunch of old tracks I had podded, and now the Dark Star backdrop seems to be working.

I guess it was a co-inky-dink.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 06, 2000 2:36 pm 

Thank you Andy.

Phin, ym's mtm2 backdrops are his own, but the mtm1 drops are identical to op's so I must assume they are op's. ym's mtm2 drops have less faces but work the same and look just about the same as op's. In either case, both guys simply added a "bottom" to the stock mtm2 backdrops and mapped it to a small portion of the texture.

op's mtm1 drops are characterized by descending vertical levels, extending the walls of the drop down about six times its normal height. I have found this 'depth' is quite necessary, but the job would have been perfect if there were bottoms on as well, when you are at a great height you can sometimes see the HOM effect at the bottom of the drop.

The ideal mtm1 drops would combine op's (height) and miyh's work (bottoms).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 06, 2000 3:02 pm 
Glow Ball

thanks for the info. but mtm1 isn't perfect yet, huh. Welp, that's all we needed...more work. Good thing this isn't a race.

------------------
- Phineus

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 06, 2000 4:11 pm 

I think you guys should be working for TRI Image

------------------
Keep on Monster Truckin'

EmceeMart

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 07, 2000 6:34 am 
Glow Ball

don't know about that, but somebody has a flare for advertising that might pay off.

------------------
- Phineus