MTM2.com

A forum for mtm2 discussion
FAQ :: Search :: Members :: Groups :: Register
Login
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:16 pm

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 22, 2000 6:53 pm 
Glow Ball

Don't think nobody's laughing. As far as I know, Garret Lockhart was the first to explore the top crush in his tnt figure 8. Others have followed after that. I have not made a page for top crush because it was reasoned (for numerous reasons) that there would be little demand for it. However, with the attention drags have been getting lately (and collaspable pop cans), maybe I should rethink this. Either way, I'm sure anybody who's made it this far down realizes there is more than one or two isolated items in this thread. There is lots of value here, and even if some of it can be done in traxx, there is plenty to stir up ideas for the things traxx can't do. I, for one, look forward to more - here or in a new thread.

------------------
- Phineus

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2000 4:28 am 

I don't know if any one already said this but maybe.......
when you have to objects to crush they both have to have the same verticie and face count for it to work... other wise it's not like the same model... any way, just wonderming if any one tried that Image
RuDeE

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2000 2:47 pm 

I managed to get MTM2 to run with cylinders & top crushes but then i came to face with another problem.

I just used crazy98 for an example and when i went to test drive it in Tracked,the cylinders & top crushes i placed with different BIN models to see them easily where invisible.One of the times i did get the BIN file for the top crush to appear but when i hit it it didn't do anything.Anyone who knows how to place top crushes in tracks & make them work please reply to this message.

While i was trying to get the cylinders & top crushes to work i found out a couple of other things that seems to have been forgotten

OK first thing i found out

___DELAYS___

go to this line (its near the top of the SIT file)

$racetime, raceStartTime, dragDebugTimer

These all determine the delays for when the race starts

racetime
i haven't experimented with this one yet!

raceStartTime
this delays the green light from coming on for a certain amount of time.I have tried just about every type of number to put in and the delay is always over a minute i cant get a delay for a couple of seconds.Anyone else know anything about this & how to change the time to a couple of seconds

dragDebugTimer
This does the same as the raceStartTime except it is something left over from the drag races in MTM1 (Why did TRI & Microsoft scrap the drag races in MTM2)

these 3 functions where used or at least some of them are so anyone with MTM1 examine the drag races and there might be a way to re-invent the same drag races that where in MTM1.People have tried this but the attempts were'nt as good as the MTM1 drags.So anyone with MTM1 examine the DRAGS RACES SIT FILES & look at this same line (if any) and see what the values are

___ARENAS___

WK seemed to totally miss out the section on arenas.The arena is used in Torture Pit & some rumbles

go down to the very bottom of your SIT,just above the backdrop area is a stadium area

*** Stadium ***
!stadiumFlag,x,z,sx,sz,stadiumModelName
0,64,64,8,10,none

!stadium flag
???????????????????????

x,z,sx,sz
????????? i think these are the corrdinates

stadiumModelName
This is pretty obvious

Dont know how to make arenas but if you're that keen to make an arena level just make the level of torture pit or a summit level.Only problem is that Traxx 1.1 & 1.2 get's rid of the arena when you import a Tracked/2 track.I've heard that Traxx 1.3+ does all this arena stuff.

Anyone know how to do this arena stuff if your someone like me without Traxx1.3

By the way will there be a demo version of traxx1.3 out soon.I might consider buying it if all the rumours i've heard about it are true

Another thing i saw long ago & am still wonering what it is this:

Race Track Locale
Margaritaville, TX

I know that Traxx makes random names & puts them in the SIT's.Is is something left over from MTM1 or is it just something that was never used.

I haven't tried these two things yet! but will when i get the chance.

Track Fly-By .AVI file
Sonic
Track Announcer .WAV file
Track

I think TRI was going to make AVI files that 'flew' around the track before you actually started the race like in 'SW : Episode 1 Pod Racer' which has a fly by movie at the start of each track

Haven't tried the Track Announcer one yet but it was probably another thing that was never used in MTM2.This might have had army armstrong describing the track while the AVI file was playing.If this works i could easily make AVI files that had a fly-by of the track because i have the right tools.

!ambient sound,track length,weather mask

Most of this is explained above,Oh & thanks Phineus for the weather codes they will come in handy some day for one of my tracks

The track length is a BIG ? i have tried all soughts of values on this but nothing happened with it i even tried values like 10000000000000000000000000000000 and the game didn't crash so i think it's just something that was never put into the final EXE file so MTM2 just ignores it but i could be wrong.

$heliTimer,heliTheta,heliPhi,heliPsi
heliPos
^segments,laps,staged,bonusLaps,finishedRace,nextcheckpoint
totalracetime,fastestLap,dragTimer

the Helitimer controls how long it takes for the helicopter to come.I think ZooN uses this in his tracks that might explain why the helicopter never comes or takes forever to come in MOST of his tracks.All the other HELI stuff controls the position of the Helicopter.Iv'e tried all of the other stuff but again MTM2 & Tracked2 just ignore it and thats that but i could be wrong again.

*** Backdrop ***
backdropType,backdropCount

I've tried editing the backdropcount & the same problem happened (NOTHING HAPPENED)

Oh,well if anyone knows anything about any of this (especially the timers) please post a message on this message board

------------------
---> HAC-MAN

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2000 4:05 pm 
Glow Ball

Don't have everything, but here's what I know or can guess.

<hr width="50%">

!stadiumFlag,x,z,sx,sz,stadiumModelName
1,69,140,18,18,ARENA2.BIN

1 - stadium mode active
69 - x coordinate of vertex zero (south west corner)
140 - y coordinate of vertex zero (south west corner) - the z is strange
18 - width of stadium - s = size ?
18 - heigth (ie. along the y axis) of stadium
Arena2.bin - name of the actual model

These numbers "69,140,18,18" are key for proper viewing in the game.

<hr width="50%">

Drag stuff has been completely disabled as far as I can tell. The mtm1 tournament set up doesn't work in mtm2. And for whatever reason the tracks do not work independently of that.

However, you can go here or here, get the mtm1 game pod, take it apart and examine the drag sit files

<hr width="50%">

I'm an impatient person, so, sorry, I know nothing of delays.

<hr width="50%">

Race Track Locale
Margaritaville, TX

Traxx writes in Traxxville, USA (or something like that). It's a useless bit of information that guitar bill decided it wasn't worth troubling over. I probably agree. Does it really matter what we write in here as long as the track works. Sure you can put in Space Station No. 5 if you like, won't really matter unless you like Sammy.

<hr width="50%">

Track Fly-By .AVI file

I can only guess it's something that never made it into the game, and probably isn't supported. If it was, I'm sure it would have been exploited by now - by tri with a patch or by one of us with a hack. But to date: nothing.

>>'SW : Episode 1 Pod Racer'

Got the retail version, heard it's pretty good, but never tried it.

<hr width="50%">

backdropCount

See winterkill's notes on it. Also, take a look at scrapyard, it uses a two piece backdrop. I think this was built in to be used later but never got used much. It works to a limited degree. Try it out, it can be nifty.

Added note, animated bins work with backdrops. Can be some fun.

<hr width="50%">

------------------
- Phineus

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2000 4:09 pm 
Glow Ball

oopsie I forgot.

You can also make an arena as a no-collide object in Traxx prior to 1.4.

See here for a few notes (I hope that's the right place - been a long time).

Also, I think you cannot use the stadium setting and the backdrop setting at the same time.

------------------
- Phineus

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2000 9:55 pm 

Hey there Hac-man, I look forward to seeing what you come up with, when your work is released in the future Image

backdropCount: See winterkill's notes on it.

Those so-called notes are in a backdrop discussion starting <a href=http://wwwboard.net/bbs1/mtm2bbs/messages/622.sht>here</a>.

Using more than one backdrop is done like this:

*** Backdrop ***
backdropType,backdropCount
backdropModelName
ONEDROP.BIN
TWODROP.BIN

Both will display at the same time, as long as one does not completely block out the other.

And now for something else. If you've been aware of the track naming conflicts during the expo2000 you'll know that when pods are written by traxx the base name of the track data files are automatically given the first eight characters of the track's name. Thus any tracks with names starting with the same eight characters will conflict with each other, because of having identical base names. like "straight.sit" and "straight.lvl" etc.

The solution is this: write your pod with Traxx but put a unique name for the track in the track component box. Like I might name my track wkexpo2k, and when the pod is written all of the data files will have that base name. Once the pod is written you extract all it's files with Winpod, edit the SIT file and change the "track name" from your cryptic base name to a the real name, save the SIT and re-pod your track. Doing this should enabls you to have many tracks with the same or similar name without conflicting.

[This message has been edited by Winterkill (edited 16-05-2000).]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2000 2:04 pm 

Thanks for that Phineus i didn't know that backdrops could be animated.This means that i will be working on some animated backdrops perhaps a city one that has lights on it.The Stadium Info is also useful i had to make my stadium tracks in Tracked which is not very good compared to traxx.I dont know if you know this but in Traxx 1.3+ can you put stadiums in without Traxx getting rid of the stadium when you save changes i would like to know this.

WinterKill i'm glad you want to see some of my work.I will be entering in a track in the expo in the next day or two which is a drag.Also you can download my first track i finished from
http://members.xoom.com/hacmansMTM2/DEADBETA.ZIP

Or my first multiplayer track i made from
http://members.xoom.com/hacmansMTM2/REACBETA.ZIP

As for my other projects and stuff i have made you will have to wait until June/July when i put my web page on the net.

I am working on a couple of projects at the moment which you may be interested in.

MTM2MARS
A TOTAL remake of MTM2,EVERYTHING is replaced with Mars stuff.E-Mail me if you want to see some screenshots

MTM2SW E1 racer
Another TOTAL remake of MTM2,Except this time it is based on the game Star wars Pod racer

MTM2SW
Another star wars remake of MTM2

MTM2WWF
A WWF Remake Of MTM2

MTM2WCW
A WCW Remake of MTM2

& many More.

Just go to my web page at June/July & you will see some screenshots & possibly be able to download a couple of them.They will be big though

My web page is http://members.xoom.com/HMTM2/

But dont go to it yet because it is under construction & is probably not working yet!

Any luck on the Top Crush yet

------------------
---> HAC-MAN
---> Keep On Hackin'
---> Hacman@start.com.au

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2000 5:21 pm 
Glow Ball

Yes, you can make arena tracks using traxx, don't matter the version, and the stadium wont disappear. The trick is that with 1.3 and earlier, you make it as an object...which has too many verticies to view as you work (so the template I made has proven helpful), and that 1.4 makes it as a backdrop as we've discussed above. Same thing tho: it don't disappear.

Hate to refer you to old stuff, but everything you should need to know using traxx can be found here http://mtm2.com/~mtmg/Traxx

As far as top crush goes, I'm afraid this will have to wait till the expo is done. I can't keep up as it is.

But I'm looking forward to everything you talk about. It sounds great and will be very interesting to see. I'll grab those tracks tomorrow...it's late now......at least for me.

------------------
- Phineus

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2000 12:28 am 

Having a Random weather mask would be cool, more realistic, like, 1 day its snowing, the next its raining...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2000 4:28 am 
Glow Ball

As I understand it, the random option is part of the game - not the sit file. The game reads the weather mask values you've defined in the track.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2001 10:01 pm 

Does anyone know a programmer that worked for tri when making mtm2 (and mtm1 is even more interesting). i think we could use one right now.

------------------
Visit my site

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2001 9:42 am 

Heck, it'd be easy to make a tiny program to change the weather mask in the pod each time the game is run.

Post subject: Track Anouncer .WAV file
PostPosted: Thu Sep 04, 2003 2:08 pm 
Winterkill, I'm Tarres, new to the MTM community. You were explaining the functionality of a situation file and talked a teensy bit about a "Track Anouncer .WAV file." I figured what that is - When you select a track from the list, that sound is played. Open up UI.pod and you'll find a file called Track.wav. That sound is the default sound to be played.

Change the name from the .SIT file will, for example, make "Hick" say "Hey, I'm still in here!!!" when you click FM29 from the list.

I still need to get stuff in order.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 04, 2003 3:58 pm 

First of all I must note that I began this thread in the year 2000, as such it is quite out of date in relation to what I could write now, and for quite some time I have planned to rewrite this document using more, newer and better info. Nevertheless, it's still pretty informative thanks to all who participated. ;)

Tarres, your observation was a great one - I never spotted the connection! However, I've tried changing the line but I can't get it to change the sound here. My only question is have you actually witnessed the sound change in-game? A simple "yep" will satisfy me, hehe.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 04, 2003 4:24 pm 
MTM2 Fanatic

I do remember hearing it - but my head nearly explodes doing so.

It could have been nothing more than my imagination, a dream, or possibly real.

I hope it works.

I have found out one thing - about courses - TrackWidth gets MTM2 figuring out how wide that road is - the finder will be displayed if the player drives beyond this level.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 05, 2003 8:14 am 

>> I do remember.... but my head nearly explodes doing so.

I know the feeling, I can remember some recent things in this game that had the same effect.

>> I hope it works.

I tried several variations but it didn't work for me...
wavename, wavename.wav, sound\wavename, sound\wavename.wav.
I'll try again another day.

>> (TrackWidth) the finder will be displayed if the player drives beyond this level.

Good <i>find</i>.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2004 8:19 am 

Quote:
Course data is fairly obvious and nothing you'd care to edit

...well, who knows :D

Anybody knows what
cdec_point, cspeed, lastentry
in the course segment could mean?

cdec_point is apparently always 30.00000

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 28, 2004 5:10 pm 

:cry: no replies to my last post ...
So here are a couple of speculations.

I noticed that the stock tracks use different values for cspeed (apparently expressed in half MPH) while &cSpeedLimit is not used.
I don't know if this is how TrackEd does it.

Traxx does exactly the opposite: it uses only &cSpeedLimit and sets it to the value expressed in half MPH 8 (i.e. doubling the MPH value).
This limits the speed of the whole segment which is very annoying if you need to brake at th end of a long straight.

I made a couple of tests tweaking the value of cdec_point and I think it could mean "deceleration point".

Increasing it from 30 to 60 slows down the trucks earlier before the end of the segments. Increasing it too much (e.g. 300) limits the speed to about 45MPH.

No so surprising if you think that the deceleration point is put before the start of the segment. Perhaps cspeed is the deceleration target speed :?:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 28, 2004 5:24 pm 
Glow Ball

No replies usually means no one knows.

This is an area I haven't even begun to play around with. Though there have been times I wished I had more control. Do you think the decleration point could be a percentage value of the segment length? I have tracked2 installed on another computer but I won't be able to give it a serious look for several weeks, or longer... and it has a bad monitor too. This computer runs tracked2 perfectly. Well, almost perfectly. Everything works except the course editor.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 29, 2004 4:19 pm 

I ran a couple of tests and observed the following:

cdec_point is the deceleration point in feet , measured from the end of the segment.

cspeed showed no effect whatsoever (I played with values between 0 and 1000) : the trucks start braking at the indicated point until they reach a speed of 38 MPH

&cSpeedLimit limits the speed on the whole segment, the limit being expressed in half MPH. Interestingly the trucks will always try to exceed the speed limit by about 20%, i.e specifying 90 will limit the speed to 54 MPH (perhaps a programmers' joke, lol)

It is therefore preferable to use cdec_point to control th speed since this will result in a more natural driving style. &cSpeedLimit remains useful for places where extremely low speed is required.

What I don't know is whether (some of) these observations are machine dependent.
My feeling is NO, assuming the frame rate plays only a role in the interpolation between the segments.