MTM2.com

A forum for mtm2 discussion
FAQ :: Search :: Members :: Groups :: Register
Login
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:10 pm

Post subject: GB's Monster Screen Saver
PostPosted: Sat Aug 03, 2002 5:59 am 

BP's Monster Screen Saver is a self-contained 3D renderer of track pods, running the courses as mapped. If you've never tried this .SCR you should give it a try, it's cool. Image

In order to use the screen saver without affecting your basic screensaver settings you can place the .SCR anywhere on your disk and then right-click it to configure it and double-click it to start it. I don't run an active screensaver myself, I make my monitor sleep and then shut down when the computer is inactive, so I like using the method just described. If you right-click on the .SCR you will see the menu options "configure" and "test".

Get version 2.1 at <a href=http://drive.to/traxx>http://drive.to/traxx</a>
Acquire version 2.2 from the utilities section at <a href=http://galileo.spaceports.com/~denebsys/mtm2/>Joey_21's MTM2 Page.</a> <font color=yellow>**</font>

I recently discovered version 2.2 for the first time at the above site. Guitar Bill's official page has always distributed version 2.1 as far as I know. The 2.2 ZIP found above had no ReadMe text, does another, more official, 2.2 ZIP exist? What is the story behind this version? Is Bill around?? Does anyone have any previous versions?

Differences I've noted between version 2.1 to 2.2:

2.1 is stable in all modes.
2.2 frequently locks up the computer when using wireframe rendering.

2.1 looks good but has no shadows/shading.
2.2 looks better due to some shadows/shading.
^ This shading is especially, if not exclusively, apparent in birds-eye view.

2.1 has the same options as 2.2 except for two.
2.2 has an extra video mode (512x384) and a "foggy" option (which I've yet to witness in action).

2.1 has a better framerate.
2.2 has a lesser framerate (only on some systems perhaps).

2.1 offers a smoother ride in cockpit view.
2.2 stutters in cockpit view during altitude transitions, likely due to lesser framerate.

2.1 displays backdrop
2.2 does not display backdrop

With all that said, 2.1 is probably the one to stick with, but 2.2 does look much better in standard bird-eye view at least.

<font color=yellow>** Joey_21's MTM2 Page is a very nice personal site, featuring all of his tracks and his own POD mounter, check it out.</font>