MTM2.com

A forum for mtm2 discussion
FAQ :: Search :: Members :: Groups :: Register
Login
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:17 am

Post subject: Windows Memory Tips (mostly win98)
PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2003 10:32 am 
Glow Ball

STEP 1 (by request)

Set System Monitor to look at key memory features (that you can do anything about). Include the following.

<ul>[*]Allocated memory</li>[*]Unused memory</li>[*]Minimum disk cache</li>[*]Maximum disk cache</li>[*]Disk cache size</li>[*]Swapfile Size</li>[/list]

You can include other things if you want, but these are the ones that'll let you keep tabs on memory. It'll look something like this.

<center>[img]../../../pics/systemmonitor.gif[/img]</center>

Note 1. There is no option to display all installed memory. Use windows key + pause/break for that.

Note 2. If it's not installed, goto control panel > add/remove programs to install it. System Monitor is a standard windows 9x utility.

Note 3. Windows XP has nothing comparable to the old system monitor. Ctrl+Alt+Del gives some information but it doesn't compare to system monitor. You're out of luck.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2003 10:33 am 
Glow Ball

STEP 2

At the run prompt, type msconfig, goto the startup tab and turn off everything but explorer and systray. Reboot when asked.

Note 1. If something stops working, re-enable it.

Note 2. Windows XP's version of msconfig isn't worth the nags. Either use win98 version on xp (it can be done) or learn more about using regedit and make the changes manually.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2003 10:33 am 
Glow Ball

STEP 3

At the run prompt, type sysedit. Like this

<center>[img]../../../pics/runprompt.gif[/img]</center>

Close everything except WIN.INI

In WIN.INI, under [windows] comment out the run and load lines (near the top). Like this (sorry no picture).

[windows]
rem load=
rem run=

Strictly speaking, this is not a direct memory tweak. Rather, this prevents several vagrant programs from initiating. Therefore, less programs, less sources of conflict and lower allocated memory.

Save WIN.INI and close it.

Note Windows XP has no load and run lines. I have not tried to add them manually. If you try it, be sure to add [windows] too, then tell us if anything negative results.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2003 10:34 am 
Glow Ball

STEP 4

At the run prompt, type sysedit. Close everything except SYSTEM.INI. Scroll down to [vcache] and insert a blank line and type maxfilecache= then a value that is equal to half the ram on your computer. For example.

[vcache]
maxfilecache=65536

The value shown is in kilobytes (1024 bytes). The formula to calculate it is as follows.

1024 x half your ram = Value

eg. Say you have 128mbs of ram. Then you'd figure it out like this

1024 x (128/2=64) = 65536

This tweak is beneficial for all versions of windows, even XP (especially XP).

<center>[img]../../../pics/vcache.gif[/img]</center>

Note. vcache has nothing to do with virtual memory (the swap file). vcache is the disk cache that we included in our system monitor settings above (in step 1). This is the real pig in all versions of windows. What this, in effect, does is mirror in memory everything that you run on your computer from the harddrive. But when we exit a program, it is not taken out of memory. It stays in the vcache. The idea here is that if you open and close the same programs time and again during a work session, then, on subsequent occassions, windows will load these programs from memory rather than the hard drive. In theory, and to a degree in practice, this significantly speeds up system performance. And it's true. However, windows will keep adding to the disk cache (vcache) endlessly... to the point you have no free memory left. When that happens, windows spills the overflow into the swap file - which, you guessed it, is on the hard drive anyway. So, by limiting it to half the installed memory, we strive for the best of both worlds. We take advantage if quicker program re-loads, and we keep half our memory free at all times for program use, thus staying away from the swap file (the real source of slow performance). Lastly, you should seldom need more than 384 megs in vcache (1024 x 384 = 393216). You can put more if you want, but there won't be much in the way of performance enhancement. The worst that can happen by restricting vcache in this way is that you may, from time to time, wait for a program to re-load from the hard drive.

I highly recommend this step for all windows users.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2003 10:34 am 
Glow Ball

STEP 5 (windows 98 only)

Open notepad (or your favorite text editor) and copy the following nine lines into it.

device=c:\windows\himem.sys /m:1
shell=c:\command.com c:\ /e:2048 /p
lastdrive=z
dos=high,umb
files=99
buffers=40
stacks=9,256
device=c:\windows\emm386.exe on ram
devicehigh=c:\windows\ramdrive.sys 32767 /e

Note. Include the last line only if you have more than 192 mbs of ram.

Save it as C:\CONFIG.SYS

Reboot your computer.

Look in windows explorer. You will see [url=javascript:void(0)]an extra drive[/url]. Note the drive letter (we need this information for the next step).

Note 1. Do not use sysedit for this step.

Note 2. If you have less than 192 megs of ram, stop reading here.

Note 3. Windows XP has a ramdrive option (I forget where it is - probably admin tools) but I recommend AR RAM Disk instead.

Note 4. MS allows for a 32 meg ram disk only. If you want a larger ram drive for win 9x, search for "xmsdsk" and get the utility by frank uberto.

Note 5. Using a ram disk on win9x will reduce the amount of ram windows reports you have installed. This is true only to the extent it is not available to windows for program use. The ram is still there; we're just using it for our own purposes.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2003 10:35 am 
Glow Ball

STEP 7 (bonus)

Open notepad (or your favorite text editor) and copy the following nine lines into it. (NOTE the drive letter must be the same as the ram drive that we created above in step 5).

@echo off
d:
md temp

Save it as C:\AUTOEXEC.BAT

Reboot your computer. You will see a new folder called "temp" on the ram disk. If not, double check what you've done and try again. WinXP see below.

Now, in your browser settings, set the disk cache (NS) or Temporary Internet Files (IE) to D:\temp (use the drive letter for the ram drive). Reboot if prompted. This is an excellent step that speeds up browsing and decreases hard drive activity due to storing internet files. Each time you reboot, the temporary files will be automatically cleared. You can also save file downloads to the ram disk until you decide whether or not you want to keep them - if you do want to keep it, copy it to the hard drive.

Note. WinXP probably won't execute the bat file. To fix that, run regedit and goto this key.

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run

Add a new "string value" and call it ramdisk. Right click and select "modify" then in the "Value Data" field type C:\AUTOEXEC.BAT then click ok. Exit regedit and reboot.

<font size=1>Edited by Phineus (08-05-2003)</font>

Post subject:
Glow Ball

STEP 6b (98)

In windows 95 you could just disable the swap file once you had enough memory to be sure you wouldn't need it. Not so in windows 98. Turning it off will result in multimedia malfunctions. So it must be left turned on. Unfortunately, doing so hurts performance. To get around this, start sysedit from the run prompt. Close everything except SYSTEM.INI. Scroll down to [386Enh] and at the end of the list of items, insert a blank line and type PagingDrive= and enter the drive letter for the ramdrive we noted above.

[386Enh]
PagingDrive=D:\

<center>[img]../../../pics/pagingdrive.gif[/img]</center>

Reboot your computer.

Note. When you check virtual memory in system properties, you will see a message complaining about "Compatibility-mode paging reduces overall system performance."

<center>[img]../../../pics/systempropertiesx.gif[/img]</center>

Ignore this message. It's not true for this configuration. For our set up (lots of memory), the swap file will remain at zero bytes for ever. It will never grow. This is why you must have memory to spare.

If you cannot guaranty that you'll never need the swap file, then don't do this step.

Post subject:
Glow Ball

STEP 6a (XP)

Windows XP places a swap file on ALL hard drive partitions. To fix this, goto

System Properties > Advance > Performance > Settings > Advance > Virtual Memory

Then indicate "no paging file" for all drives except C:\ (you must do this for each drive).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2003 10:37 am 
Glow Ball

Conclusion.

Windows defaults are like failsafe settings. They'll get the job done, but nothing glorious about them.

Use system monitor to keep an eye on how things are running on your system. When unused memory gets low, it's time for a reboot.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2003 10:56 am 

Addition:

For those who don't like XP's MSCONFIG tool (or if you have Win2000, which has no MSCONFIG tool), you can use a free utility called STARTER.
http://www.nonags.com/nonags/pwrt32.html

Starter is a good, clean app that lets you select and disable programs that normally start up when Windows loads. Simply launch the program, make sure the Startups button is depressed, and uncheck the program you want to remove from the startup process. Unlike Msconfig, Starter also lets you view the application's registry entry. (As always, don't mess with registry entries if you don't know what you're doing.)

------------------
- BigDOGGe's Boneyard ...The Best Custom Trucks in MTM2 -

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2003 11:18 am 
Glow Ball

Sounds good BigDogge. Here's a couple direct downloads.

StarterSetup.exe (482k)

xmsdsk.exe (74k)

This page for offline (89k)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2003 12:45 pm 

Well i will have something to work with when i come back from school Image

Thanks alot Phin!!! I'll give it a go.

------------------
"In my restless dreams, I see that town, Silent Hill..." - Mary, Silent Hill 2

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2003 8:43 pm 

I forgot to mention i am using Win ME.

What i don't manage to succeed is making a RAM drive. Appereantly everytime the computer reboots the confyg.sys gets automatically blanked and a config.bak is beeing made that helds within the lines i write.

------------------

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2003 8:51 pm 
Glow Ball

You mean you made me do all this for nothing? You talked about win98 for the past week and you don't even have it?

Win ME is total garbage. Go back to 98 or go forward to XP.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2003 9:15 pm 

Why are you awake at this hour?

I had a problem with 98 that miracously got solved when installing ME... but i want that dern RAM.

Man i hate reinstalls, but it's a good thing 98 and ME use same set of drivers and proggies so i have them right here. Oh well Image

Here we gooooooooooo

------------------

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2003 9:26 pm 
Glow Ball

> Why are you awake at this hour?

Don't change the subject.

> I had a problem with 98 that miracously got solved when installing ME...

If it ain't broken, don't fix it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2003 9:28 pm 

Now you telling me not to go back?

No no no no, i want that ram to work the best way Image

------------------

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2003 9:34 pm 

Quote:
If it ain't broken, don't fix it.

Well i have a problem with ME now, something with the Floppy... so i will have to miracously get 98 to fix it Image

------------------

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2003 9:39 pm 
Glow Ball

> Well i have a problem

Yes, I've noticed Image

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2003 11:20 pm 

Well i busted up the floppy. Oh well,

Does anyone know (if anyone reads my fight with Phinny here) what's the gray color the Win ME uses for the 3D Objects? (this one from 98 kills me).

And voilla, i am going to follow your tutorial step by step now my dear.

------------------