MTM2.com

A forum for mtm2 discussion
FAQ :: Search :: Members :: Groups :: Register
Login
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 8:33 am

Post subject: Working anti-virus..... ??
PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2003 11:04 pm 

Can anyone give me a link to or suggest software with working anti virus. Every anti-virus I use seems to not work. This computer is killing me with all the viruses it always gets. Everytime I run the anti virus software it says no viruses when I am positive that they have some form of virus. Maybe i'll get a new comp after x-mas when all the deals occur. Until then though.... Does anyone have any suggestions?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2003 11:56 pm 
Glow Ball

This is the one that was recommended to me and it did what I needed. I have this link, and a few others, on the mtm2.com front page.

http://www.grisoft.com/us/us_dwnl_free.php

But are you sure it's a virus problem?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2003 12:53 am 

Some virus's I understand can't be removed once established...they delete install files and rename themselves to hide from scans....In those cases, only a format/re-install will do.

I think I'm in the same boat with my Pent-2 system....either that, or the system is so corupt that a re-install is necessary.....No virus's detected, but it runs slow and does strange things on occasion.....

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2003 11:13 pm 

I seem to have the same problem as Dogge. Every so often it will go into a state of slowness and the icons will blur and darken and you can't tell what each is. I'm not positive that its a virus, but this computer has been through more than one reformatting and previous problems had to do with viruses so I think they are still somewhere on the hard drive. Anyways i've been backing up all my important files so that if anything actually happens I will have them.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 24, 2003 3:33 am 

Norton has a free online virus scanner that's reliable.

Go to :

http://www.symantec.com

....then click the SECURITY RESPONSE link in the menu bar across the near-top of the screen. When you get to the Security Response page, look in the list of links called VIRUS DEFINITIONS, and click the link marked "Free Online Virus and Security Check"...That utility will install a temporary scanner and virus definitions on your machine to give your mem and drives a clean sweep for virus's.

P.S....next time you reformat your drive (and if you didn't do this already...), be sure to use a disk wiping program that clears the whole master boot record as well as the data tracks...I've read articles of persistant virus's that hide in the MBR during reformats....Some of those articles were at Microsoft itself. Just search under "virus master boot record"

...also, make sure any extra slave drives are unplugged during the OS reinstall, until you get a good antivirus program installed, just in case a virus is hiding on another drive, waiting to infect your C drive as soon as you get windows reinstalled. Hook it up later, once your system is updated and secure.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2004 2:36 am 

I used to have the avg by grisoft, but had some problems updating it. It did not update automatically on my pc (maybe because i'm behind a proxy).
A while ago i was chatting with RIP_jm and he told me to use avast, and it's way better then avg. Just check it out because it finds more then avg, and it updates itself. Just check it out at www.avast.com (free version)