MTM2.com

A forum for mtm2 discussion
FAQ :: Search :: Members :: Groups :: Register
Login
It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 7:00 pm

Post subject: Browser Preferences
PostPosted: Fri Jul 02, 2004 8:03 pm 
Glow Ball

Here's a couple handy preference settings for netscape and mozilla users.

==========

POP-UPS

o <a href="http://mtm2.com/~forum/images/nscookiebloacker1.gif">nscookiebloacker1.gif</a>

You can prevent pop ups by checking the "block unrequested popup windows" checkbox. Of course, when you do this <I><U><B>NO</B></U></I> pop ups are allowed whatsoever. Even the ones you want. So, you need to tell the browser which sites are the exception to the rule.

o <a href="http://mtm2.com/~forum/images/nscookiebloacker2.gif">nscookiebloacker2.gif</a>

When you click the "allowed sites" button, you can manually enter who is permitted to pop up windows. This system is not really a blocker. Rather, it's a system of permission. As a result, it's more successful in blocking pop ups because instead of trying to block anything, it prevents absolutely everything. If you do not explicitly state that you'll allow the pop up, it doesn't happen.

Note. I found one exception that got around the pop up stopper. On that site they triggered a dll code (or something). They did not use the usual means for popping up. Since it happened one time only, it's hardly worth bothering with. Still, it's worth noting.

==========

COOKIES

o <a href="http://mtm2.com/~forum/images/nspopupblocker1.gif">nspopupblocker1.gif</a>

I now set preferences to prompt me before saving a cookie. I used to think this was a pain but I've since had a change of mind.

What you do is select "enable cookies based on privacy settings." This is the compromise solution. If you disable all cookies, then some sites won't work. If you enable all cookies, then your system and browser get overloaded with junk.

For sub-options, of course you turn cookies off for email. And then you check the "ask me before storing a cookie" checkbox. Now each time you visit a site that wants to drop a cookie on you, and this is the beauty of it, you get prompted.

o <a href="http://mtm2.com/~forum/images/nspopupblocker2.gif">nspopupblocker2.gif</a>

Click the "show details" button so you can see who is trying to do the cookie. This allows you to distinguish between the site you're visiting and banner ads. Then check the "use my choice for all cookies from this site" checkbox. This way, you only need to answer the prompt one time. Any time afterward, the browser will use the choice you made here. Easy peasy.

If you change your mind, just go back and click the "managed stored cookies" button, then on the "cookie sites" tab, you can see who is allowed and who is not allowed to save cookies. Just remove any that have the wrong permission. Next time you visit the site you will be prompted again, and then you can make the appropriate choice.

Before using this system, I use to manage stored cookies about once a week and I would manually remove unwanted cookies. Using the "ask me before storing a cookie" prompt means I almost never have to worry about cookies and settings. Sure, being prompted all day for the first day or two is a pain, but not nearly as much as all those adverts and ill-intentioned cookies. The good thing is that the longer you run like this, the less you will be prompted... because the browser remembers your choices.

==========

Tools Menu

Much of these settings can be updated and changed right from the tools menu. Explore it, it's pretty intuitive.

==========

Delay when downloading

All downloads are logged. After a few months, the file grows large and can cause delays when initiating a download. The fix is easy. Delete the log file.
<pre>C:\Documents and Settings\user\Application Data\...
... Mozilla\Profiles\default\user.slt\downloads.rdf</pre>
==========

In preferences > advanced > scripts & plugins

At the top of the box, uncheck the Enable JavaScript for "mail & newsgroups" checkbox. Also, at the bottom of the box, uncheck the Enable plugins for "mail & newsgroups" checkbox. Email can't do damage if it can't run it's scripts.

On the cache option (two down from scripts and plugins) don't forget to clear cache semi-regularly.

==========

Windows Temp Files

This is not a netscape option, strictly speaking. Periodically you should goto

C:\Documents and Settings\user\Local Settings\Temp (for win xp)

C:\WINDOWS\Temp (for win 9x)

And delete all files you find there. These are temporary files that can safely be deleted.

==========

IE

The best you can hope for from ie is to empty temp files whenever the browser is closed.

o <a href="http://mtm2.com/~forum/images/ietempfiles.gif">ietempfiles.gif</a>

It's a good option. The rest of the ie preferences are a cryptic mess. I've tried customizing them but the only thing I ever accomplished was disabling the microsoft site. LOL.