MTM2.com

A forum for mtm2 discussion
FAQ :: Search :: Members :: Groups :: Register
Login
It is currently Mon Mar 18, 2024 9:51 pm

Post subject: Browser performance :: the acid test
PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2009 1:05 am 
Glow Ball

Now that netscape is no longer in the browser game, I was wondering which way I might turn when considering a new one. I had read on mozzila that firefox and seamonkey were the going trend. Not knowing what the heck seamonkey was, I wiki'd it, where I found the acid test - which supposedly checks to see how well or poorly a browser renders a page developed according to web standards

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Acid_3
http://acid3.acidtests.org/

On the surface, this seems like a good idea because it drives me nuts when a page I make looks different in every browser. The problem is that nobody really has to conform to anything because the standards are voluntary (microsoft could care less for them) and, more, the test could conceivably be tweaked to favor one browser over others. Still, it seems like a good idea.

So which browser to use? According to the acid test, chrome and opera pass with the highest score. I guess we might believe chrome since it's developed by one of the biggest, most sophisticated search engines - I mean, if they don't know how to parse a web page, then who does, right? On the other hand, if we choose something less than one of those, are we short changing ourselves? I couldn't download a full installer of chrome, so it turned me off from the start. Seamonkey looks closest to my old netscape but despite mozzila help it still seems a small concern. Tied into this is email. I haven't tried thunderbird yet but if that, or seamonkey, doesn't work, what's left?

Is the browser war over, or will it never end?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2009 8:34 am 

Don't decide on standards alone. Some have features that others do not. Though Opera will always be my second favorite to my Avant/Orca combination, most of the browsers out there are pretty good. If you want, just wiki up web browsers to get a list of them. If you want to stay non mainstream.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_web_browsers

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2009 9:41 am 

You either want Orca, as Slayer showed me yesterday, or Firefox, which is a bit faster than Orca. It's the one I'm using now.

And Slayer, I'm gonna uninstall Orca and try IE8. My nephew has it, and it's really fast.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2009 10:00 am 

hmm, and I find opposite findings, Orca faster than firefox and IE was ungoddly slow, not in browsing, but it overall wrecked system performance, even just opening windows control panel took 20 seconds.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2009 10:20 am 

It just depends on your operating system. Such as Vista is a slow piece of crap, and XP is a friggin beast.

Even though my nephew has Vista, IE8 is STILL fast.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2009 10:27 am 

I actually use XP, though I have to agree, IE8 does browse faster, I simply did not enjoy the performance impact to Explorer.

I always enjoyed IE cause it loaded instantly, with IE8 there is a significant load time, this irks me.

I do admitidly find orca a bit slow at the start, but I do find it speeds up. Admmitidly slower than IE8 and Chrome, I prefer the look and feel of Orca over all other browsers. It has the obvious simplicity of old browser, such as your home button actually saying HOME on it (whatever happened to text?). it has the details of old browsers, such as security level, site level, etc. Things I can train my parents on... And it has the flexibility, I think only Opera is the other tabbed browser that actually lets you restructure the interface, such as moving the tabs around. You can also turn the tabs off if you prefer to browse the old way.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2009 11:27 am 

In Firefox, when I upgraded to 3, like I said yesterday, when I go into the options to put tab buttons and window buttons on there, it kicks me out for some reason, and every time I start it, a "Enable PageRank Google" thing pops up, and when I used to play Habbo, now a "Habbo US-Toolbar" thing comes up as well. But I can just press CTRL + T, W for tabs and windows.

I just think FF3 is the problem, but I can't find any downgraded downloads anywhere. Does anyone have a link?

(And Firefox's home button actually shows a house)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2009 11:30 am 

I don't know of any downgrades, you can try that oldversion website.

Here, grab the one you want.

http://www.oldversion.com/Mozilla-Firefox.html

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2009 12:07 pm 

THANK YOU!!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2009 1:25 pm 

your welcome.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2009 3:12 pm 

I have been a firefox user for quite awhile. The main reason I use it is the way you can customize it with extensions. I currently run more than 50 extensions and thats not counting the various scripts that run under the stylish and grease monkey extensions.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2009 5:30 pm 

To be quite honest, all browsers are about on the same level. IE8 is the best of IE to date, but it still is a little slower performance-wise than the rest, while it does tend to load pages quicker. Chrome, Orca, etc, they all have their perks. I prefer Firefox for the same reason Woody does... the extensions. Adblock is by far the best tool I have ever used on a browser. Now anytime I'm on Myspace, Facebook, or any site that has those annoying banners on the side, Adblock takes care of them. No more "YOU'RE THE 1 MILLIONTH VISITOR, CLICK HERE TO CLAIM YOUR FREE XBOX 360!" virus BS. Not to mention a plethora of other useful extensions that I use from time to time.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2009 5:36 pm 
MTM2 Engineer

Adblock FTW!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2009 7:47 pm 

adblock is an extension, I should look at getting it. (Orca supports extensions and addons, it's also immune to MS's latest Windows update which installs vulnerabilities into firefox)
Source
http://blogs.techrepublic.com.com/security/?p=1716

Honestly, so far I only have one extension, and it only sometimes works properly. It's a simple thing to add a right click menu to images so I can one click save them.

I tried acid test on IE7, biggest failure possible, was not even legible, orca for me scored 71/100. When compared to the reference, its pretty far off too. I'm interested to see Chrome and Opera's. Can someone plz post them?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2009 7:54 pm 

I don't do Windows Updates, so I don't have to worry about the crap that Micropoop did to Firefox :).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2009 7:55 pm 

You Mac or Nix?

I wonder how well Amaya works, a browser supposedly made by W3. I might have to try it lol

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2009 8:06 pm 

Quote:
Microsoft, developers of the Internet Explorer browser, said that Acid3 does not map to the goal of Internet Explorer 8 and that IE8 would improve only some of the standards being tested by Acid3.[20] IE8 scores 20/100 and has some problems with rendering the Acid3 test page.

OMG Epic fail Microsoft lol.
I wonder when they said they wanted a browser to conform to standards better, I wonder which standards they were talking about.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2009 8:58 pm 

I'm XP, I just turned updates off and neglect to upgrade further than anything included in SP2.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2009 9:52 pm 

Oh, wow ok, well be careful, your almost literately broadcasting "hack me" with such poor updates.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2009 11:04 pm 

I'm paranoid enough to know that Windows Updates actually add more vulnerability to Windows. I'm also behind a firewalled router and a personal firewall just to make sure that if someone would be able to bypass whatever Windows vulnerability I do have, they can't get into the network to get to my computer.