MTM2.com

A forum for mtm2 discussion
FAQ :: Search :: Members :: Groups :: Register
Login
It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 2:33 am

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 167 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next   
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2004 1:33 pm 

Quote:
I actually had something diff in mind. How about a ramp (like the ones at finish line),

That would work.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2004 3:50 pm 

Uploaded a next version for all you cheaters out there lol. I'm not good at finding shorts, so i'll let that one over to you guys.

I've fixed every short i wanted to fix. I tried making that dry river bed you suggested Jumper, but i could not make it deep enough because i'm not higg enough above the water level. So i made those ramps i said i would. One hint, don't try jumping the fence using that ramp. It won't work (or alt least i hope it won't lol).

Beta can still be found here : http://users.pandora.be/mumhra/newtrack/x-raidbeta.zip
One last thing, i know this (http://users.pandora.be/mumhra/newtrack/screenshot.JPG) is possible now. I'm aware of that. Maybe i'll narrow it down a little, but i actually like it that way.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2004 8:42 am 

The ramp does the job. Not only it does deny the cut but it now forces players to control their speed in that particular area. Taking the jump to fast result in crashing in the fence upon landing.

I think i'm pretty much done with this one. I really cant see any other major cut out there.

Just let us know when it's wrap up

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2004 4:06 pm 

Oké jumper, so it's looking good.

I've changed one little thing, but that was just a blending fault, so no need to upload. I will release tomorrow evening (about 18 hours from now) if nobody pops up to say something still is wrong...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2004 6:41 am 
Glow Ball

> I will release tomorrow evening (about 18 hours from now)

Hold on there. You got us working to deadlines now?

• invisible barrier might come into play on a wide corner. El shaped models will do this.
  • chug I get some here, on complex scenery, tho I suspect there's not much to be done about it since there's a major scenery change at this point. I also get it at the airport.
  • launch pads This is what I was talking about before. I think the lead in to those jumps can stand a lot of improvement. The flow over those and the landing should be relatively smooth.
  • spikes You have one or two of these in the desert part too, but it doesn't stand out like here. I think the silhouette against the sky doesn't help here.
  • speaks for itself. The one and only spot I decided to go exploring and I run smack into an invisible tree.
  • gaps This stuff drives me nuts like nothing else
  • levitating house Got a floater.
  • billboards please don't release this until we get a chance to do something with these, all of them. We need to make you a stand, or at the very least build up the terrain so the billboards fit properly. Personally, I'd prefer some sort of pedestal stand... I'm sure we can come up with something... even modifying one of those sandstone houses (by the way, where did you get those, I don't remember seeng them... of course, that don't mean I didn't, lol)
  • minor probably can be fixed by sinking it down a tad
  • bridge out needs better textures. I keep thinking, ah, here's the last remnent of c98.

And a final word about making roads through the dunes. I don't think you should change anything now. However, if you, or anybody, does something like this in the future, it's always an idea to rough in some sort of road while you're building, then take it back out when you're done. Doing so usually results in a better driving course because it's built with passage in mind. But don't change anything you have, it's fine, really it is. I'm just saying... seein's how this has been an area of concern for one reason or another from the beginning.

Anyway, great progress.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2004 7:28 am 
Trackologist

Hey good stuff there, Phin...and are you still having fun yet, mum? LOL You should do like Phin and make tracks without models in em - those are pretty easy to beta test lolol.

I have something to show ya. It's a minor cut...more of an alternate route really, but it probably does shave off a few fractions of a sec. I'll make a replay in a few and toss it in here. :)

Edit: Here ya go. After passing thru cp 3 you can crossover to the adjacent road to bypass the jump. At best tho it'll only allow you to take a slight lead over someone "if" you're on their tail at that point in the race. Not sure if it's worth hassling with, but I'll leave that up to you. But a cozy little well-placed invisible wall would work nicely there lol. Kidding bud. :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2004 7:39 am 
Glow Ball

> having fun yet, mum?

He better be. But let's not have any more of this "I'm releasing it" nonsense. Oh brother! Finish it first, eh? I mean, and here I was going soft on him since he's still relatively new to track making.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2004 8:35 am 

LOL Phin, to be honoust, i'm having the time of my life lololololol.

No need to be going easy. Nobody said nothing no more, so i thought everybody was cool with the way it looked lol.

So now i have a little question for you guys. Who decides when it's good enough to release ? Looks like i'm not allowed to do so lol. j/k guys. Actually i'm happy you found something, i was kinda getting boared. (was allready playing other games like neighbours from hell, prince of persia, unreal and max payne)

However, i don't know the smallest thing about binedit. I'm not planning on learning either. I think there are enough textures/objects out there to build a beautifull track with. So if you guys think some sort of texture is out of it's place. feel free to tell me, but sometimes i won't know what to change it in. Like the bridge out part. Oké, it's a c98 texture, but it was the best concrete looking that i could find.

I also had allready smoothened the jumps before and after cp1, but i did not work on that dirt road. Thnx for showing me picture there.

About the glitch, it must be that stupid OLD-truck again. I tried team OLD to like ya Phin, by throwing it in there somewhere. But you give me no choise. I will delete it. Don't come crying at my door when 100's of OLD people are throwing eggs and tomatoes at your house lmao. (maybe i can switch teams lol. Does SLO have also a truck like that, but which causes less lag ??? lol)

About those billboards. I can always make that sand mountain bigger so it fits. But to be honoust, i don't like them. They look too artificial. So some sort of pedastal will do just fine. If someone can show me a track where i can find somthing like that will be cool.

And where i got those sandstone houses ???? From mal's scrapyard, i thought you would know, Phin.

Anyway, thnx for the info. I can get back to work now. And please let me know when i know it's ready to be released lol...
(i won't say ever again that i will release it lol)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2004 9:04 am 
Trackologist

LMAO mum - ur killing me, man lol. Tell ya what, I'll ask my wife if it's ready, and if she says yes, well hey - it must be good to go. It's how I know when to talk, when to shutup, when to go fetch, etc. Not sure what the heck I would do without her lol.

As for the bridge, wood would work nicely there I think, but that's just me. If something catches my eye I'll drop it in here...give ya some options. :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2004 9:05 am 
Glow Ball

> No need to be going easy.

Gotta learn binedit and psp before we can get down and dirty with you.

> Who decides when it's good enough to release ?

Cope's wife, but only after I tell her it's okay. It's how she knows when to talk, when to shutup, when to go fetch, etc.

> Like the bridge out part. Oké, it's a c98 texture, but it was the best concrete looking that i could find.

Use the sidewinder bridge textures. At least it'll match the terrain a bit better. Or use Mal's construction zone model bridge. Anything! but what you have there now.

> I also had already smoothened the jumps

c'mon, both need major work.

> About the glitch, it must be that stupid OLD-truck again.

Put it on complex and don't worry about it. I'm using a geforce3 and apparently they don't like mtm that much. And even if you take it out, the airport area will still be the same. I only mentioned for the sake of being clear.

> maybe i can switch teams

No switching allowed.

> Does SLO have also a truck like that

No but we do http://mtm2.com/~tracks/tracks.cgi?sear ... ading+dock and it can be repainted too.

> About those billboards. ... They look too artificial.

That's not the word I would've choosen.

> So some sort of pedastal will do just fine. If someone can show me a track where i can find somthing like that will be cool.

Hold that thought. We'll look around.

> From mal's scrapyard, i thought you would know, Phin.

I've forgotten more than I ever knew. Can't count on that.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2004 9:17 am 
Trackologist

LOL here's one from the track "Safari" that would do nicely...I think.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2004 10:10 am 

There is another one on black fork and a few others on Cheyenne crossing

Different style but there's one also on maple grove

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2004 10:24 am 
Trackologist

Judging by its appearance, I think that's an Sidewinder Canyon transplant, Jump. The one in Safari seems to be the same model, just slightly modified.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2004 10:33 am 

Quote:
The one in Safari seems to be the same model, just slightly modified.

Huh! Julie's gone at work so noone there to tell ya when to shut it? lmao. Yeah maybe they are similar.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2004 5:40 pm 
easy company

Mum, see if this billboard works better for you. If it needs to be a little taller or shorter let me know, it only takes a few seconds to adjust that. If it works OK then I can do the others in a similar way.

TraxbilX.zip

(it uses the same art files so you only need to swap models)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2004 5:40 pm 

There you go guys. next version is online
( http://users.pandora.be/mumhra/newtrack/x-raidbeta.zip )

Keep me posted on what ya think of it. (Actually, right now i'm more interested in what Julie thinks of it :D )

main changes :
- tried to get rid of all spikes
- tried to smoothen launch pads (as Phin calls them)
- replaced cp 3 (just a little, but i think this should do it)
- tried to minimize lag (or shug). I had most probs in paris, so some buildings that have no purpose but eye candy are on normal scenery now.
- all invisible trees are gone. I should add something to that. Also the pyramid, Hotel and Bouddha statue are no collide. I've done that because they are on normal scenery. So if you were to play online, 1 with sparse scenery, the other one with normal, it could happen that one drove through the pyramid, while the other crashed. Sorta like trying to follow a ghost that flies through a wall lol. (Now you both ghosts)
- Since i have no pedestal stand for my billboards yet, i've just increased the size of those mountains. I don't really care that they look man-made, because they are...
- NO more looking UNDERNEATH walls (hope Phin doesn't have an orgasm when he reads this :D )
- changed texture of c98 bridge. I don't really like the bridge myself tho.If anyone has a better idea, just let me know. (I'm thinking about just descending the road, and putting some sort of covered bridge over it (kinda like the very first version)
- fixed that el-shaped house and that floating house

That's it. Thnx for helping me out here guys. keep it coming lol

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2004 6:16 pm 
Glow Ball

- Also the pyramid, Hotel and Bouddha statue are no collide. I've done that because they are on normal scenery.

All racers get the same level as the host. There is no racing on multiple levels. If the host is normal, then everybody is normal. If the host is sparse, then everybody is sparse.

- Since i have no pedestal stand for my billboards yet,

See the post above. Mal's got 'em for you.

Gotta run, for now.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2004 6:48 pm 

Quote:
All racers get the same level as the host. There is no racing on multiple levels. If the host is normal, then everybody is normal. If the host is sparse, then everybody is sparse.

I'm not so sure about that,
I recall when working out with Cope to shave seconds on quadrophenia , I was on sparse and he was on normal, He was jumping on top of a building that didn't exist for me. I've seen it on other tracks too (Island extreme, Love shack) where some ppl could see cp's and i had to ask for restart as i could'nt see them.
I was also called a cheater once by a rookie player who saw me ride in a building that didn't existed for me. I had to explain that i was racing on normal sparse graphics.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2004 9:22 pm 
Trackologist

Exactamundo - you can race in multiple levels. Hehe I recall running Night Graphix and people were asking me how I went thru the train like I did. They had their graphix set at complex whereas mine was sparse...and I was the host. If you think about it tho it's good that it's individualized. People should be able to tailor every aspect of their game as they see fit.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2004 9:54 pm 
Glow Ball

Yea? This was one of the first issues that came up for me online way way back in the good old days. That was the explanation I got and it seemed to match up with my experiences... and certainly makes sense from a fairness point of view for multiplayer. But if you guys have seen otherwise, I guess I'm hardly the one to say. I guess I'll have to test it out over the lan one day and see what's up with this stuff.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 167 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next