MTM2.com

A forum for mtm2 discussion
FAQ :: Search :: Members :: Groups :: Register
Login
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:58 pm

Post subject: problem with dissapearing items in track
PostPosted: Sun Mar 14, 2004 6:15 am 

ok im making this track here and i got this problam with the bins that im using. when im testing it , as i get closer to the bin it dissapears.
then just totally vanishes.

http://legwon.biz/tmp/lincoln_dtrsc.zip

appriciate the help.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 14, 2004 7:46 am 

The short answer is: your bins are way too large.

The biggest bin appears to be larger than the total viewing distance of the game itself, which is quite off the acceptable scale. By the way, since this bin has more than 1024 faces Traxx was unable to render it, and when the pod was written the texture it uses was not included in the pod - which means your pod needs fixing for it to work (I used a dummy raw file to get the game, traxx and binedit to work with it for now.)

Large bins have always been a problem with the game's view distance limit, in that they can suddenly pop into view as you near them - only because you've finally neared their center, rather than their edge. The distance from an object is measured from the camera to the center of the object. The one you've used is so large it behaves quite oddly indeed.

The terrain grid squares are 32x32 feet, so a single model that is 256x256 feet would cover eight by eight squares (8x32=256), which is more than is really even comfortable for the game engine since even these lareg bins tend to pop into view kind of "late" (the roof sections in expo loading dock use this size). I tend not to like models larger than five squares (160 feet) due to the viewing distance thing.

The only exceptions to this size rule is arenas and backdrops, which are rendered quite differently by the game engine.

Basically you'll have to break your model into small sections if you wish to use it.

Though probably too large anyway, your smaller bin would work better if it were centered in binedit, since it is offset so much it affects the distance to center as seen in the game.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 14, 2004 2:22 pm 

>>ince this bin has more than 1024 faces

thats not the one i was talking about.
theres 2 bins in that track 1 is somewhere around 3000 +verts and faces. and the other is sitting at 500 some faces.
eitherway, i cut that bin in half but still getting some problems displaying the bin edges.

cut it down more?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 14, 2004 2:49 pm 
easy company

> cut it down more?

First be sure that the model is centered in binedit... if it is and it's still dissapearing then yes you'll need to cut it down more...

I once worked on a track that required the model to be cut up into 317 pieces so it would display correctly (as well as could be expected anyway) in the game.