It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 9:53 am

Post subject: Silverton Raceway Beta
PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2003 8:39 pm 
easy company

It needs some cp's :)

lookin good tho Cr@$hC@rt

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2003 2:33 am 

Thanks Mal, I was going to ask for CP placement. :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 01, 2003 3:42 am 

Is anyone else helping to test this?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 01, 2003 4:36 am 
Glow Ball

Yes. However, cope is out of town at the moment (couldn't be helped) and I've been preoccupied with the download scripts, among other things, so I haven't been quick to get to anything (not even binedit). I'll try and have something for you this afternoon.

btw, did you respond to my little poll?

http://forum.mtm2.com/viewtopic.php?t=2300

did you notice the forum seems to be keeping time, finally?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 01, 2003 8:08 am 

I have voted in the poll. I like the letter links style. As for color schemes, I use bbs.

I've been wondering where Copey went. Thanks for trying this track out.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 01, 2003 9:41 am 

I,m rather busy these days too but will try to have a look at it perhaps this weekend.
Sry i have not done much here lately. Just too darn busy

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 01, 2003 4:08 pm 
Glow Ball

Generally speaking, I think this is well done.

Using Malibu350's picture, the sand by cp 1 looks like tile lines. It isn't, but those squared edges had me fooled for a minute.

To the right of the start line, the three semi's have the back wheels buried.

And between cp 9 and 10, the trees cut the terrain slightly, on the road side of the forest ;-)

The parking lot lines are a bit off, but that's off-track and isn't high priority. Also, you've done a good job on the fencing. I followed a lot of it around and 99% is spot on. The other 1% is so petty it's not worth troubling over.

Have you been doing some modeling? The stands look like mtm1 but with mtm2 textures. But the dunlop tire arch doesn't look quite round... stretched a bit across the road.

I like the subtle elevation changes. It really adds to the track without being extreme.

My biggest complaint? Zip name, pod name, download page name and in game name are all different. Ideally, they should all be the same, or approximately the same.

Anyway, good work. Nice attention to detail. I think a couple minor tweaks and this'll be good to go.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 01, 2003 11:08 pm 

Quote:
pod name, download page name and in game name are all different.

I didn't look at it yet but make sure the pod and in game name are different from the name that will be use in the release version. That's just to make sure ppl dont use a different version when they send me lap scores. Thx.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 02, 2003 12:30 am 
Glow Ball

My point was that confusing names like that makes it tough to know what's on the hard drive and what's in the game. Besides, people shouldn't be sending you scores from beta tracks.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 02, 2003 3:48 am 

Thanks guys. I will change pod name, zip name and in game name to be identical. However, I am going to leave it as Silverton Raceway on the download page. It is World GP 2 so that it can be matched up with Catfish International Speedway in the series.

I have been modelling. I did re-texture the stands from MTM1 with the MTM2 stand textures. If you like I'll make the Dunlop bridge more round. And I will raise the back wheels of the semis.

The parking lot textures are MTM1 and as quoted in the expo review of Krazy's 1st: "The bottom line is this is an MTM 1 track with MTM 1 textures, which didn't tile very well in that game, so needless to say they can't be expected to do so in MTM 2 either...".

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 02, 2003 6:17 am 

Quote:
they should'nt be sending you scores from beta tracks.

Yeah but i never rely on should not. Must admit so far i did not have any problems since that 8up guy.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 03, 2003 11:05 am 

The layout is fairly easy. If it's a replica of a real existing track and intented to be this way, it's fine. Personnally i'd like the elevation changes to be a little steeper. As is, it flows almost to well.
Make sure you place those check points very carefully as shown in Malibu's post. A short cut on a track like that would ruin the track completely.

Nice job there. Let me try it when the cp's are in place. Will have another look at it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 08, 2003 2:56 pm 
Trackologist

Hey Cr@$H - like Phin said, I've been out of town, but given what I have on my plate I'll have to bow out of this one, bud. Got some loose ends to tie up and should be ready to rejoin the "fray" by the first of Dec.

For what it's worth given what I've read you're doing a heck of a job! :) Take care

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 09, 2003 7:06 pm 
Trackologist

Hehe it's tough staying away from beta tracks. Well, I d/led it, took a quick 6 laps on it, and tonight I'll stroll thru it with a critical eye and have some feedback for ya tomorrow.

Did you say you plan on making 15 tracks for this WGP series? Take it for what it's worth, but I would think limiting it to 3...at the most 4 would be sufficient. Put your emphasis on the layout of each one and call the project a done deal. Catfish is excellent. Simple, but definitely a fun ride, and the one part in there that will serve as the make or break point in just about every race is that vicious hairpin you thru in at the end of the lap--great stuff.

My suggestion would be to strive to make the remaining tracks just as good, just as compelling. They don't have to be complex or innovative necessarily. Just something fun to run that will draw racers in. And just so you know, I'm not suggesting that WGP-2 is bad, not at all. Let me scope it out a bit more and get back to ya. I'll even do a few play tests on it with some of the fellas and get a feel for its race worthyness, as well as a consensus from the other racers.

Do give consideration the number of tracks you want to do for this series, however. I'd hate to see you crank out 15 tracks, but only 4 or 5 measure up to what ur truly capable of. :)

NOTE: Just reread the topic "Cr@$hC@rt" in the Track Talk forum. You stated there would be 9 or 10 more to the series, not 15. Still, my suggestion stands...and mind you, it's just a suggestion. :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2003 2:49 am 

Thanks for the input guys. I am trying to find time for releasing a Beta II. All I need now are some suggestions on which buildings ( Grand Prix style) to put in and to put in CP markers.

The series was designed to be a full year's worth of racing. To see what I mean look at the dates on the pictures in-game. I am now going to make this a 6 track series, running through the winter. 4 more tracks after this one. Last comment: 1 of those tracks will be the long version of Catfish, the bit that breaks off at the hairpin and will have a separate pit lane although the control tower will be the same one.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2003 4:09 pm 
Trackologist

Understand - a 6-track series. That's cool, bud - it's your call. Heck if you wanted to do a 20-track series far be it for me to say that you shouldn't.

As for Silverton, I took a few more laps on it and took pics as well. Didn't see much really, but here's what I did take note of:

1. I noticed a small gap in your fence work here around the parking lot. Now, it's not really a big deal, but you managed to make the rest of the ajoining sections come out pretty good, so I figured I'd let ya know about it. Whether it's significant enough to fix is up to you.

2. Here you have a much larger gap in the fence line. Not sure if it was intentional or not, but I thought it was worth pointing out.

3. This grandstand is a bit far from the road. I mean, if u plan to hand out binoculars to everyone seated in that section then ur ok. If not, I'd recommend moving it lol.

4. This is another grandstand that's borderline. Not sure if you want to move this one or just dump it altogether. It's not like you have a shortage of grandstands in this track lol.

5. The tent shown in this pic is slightly recessed into the ground in this pic. This one is too, but not quite as severe.

6. And here are the trucks (which I think were mentioned) that are also slightly sunk into the terrain.

7. I noticed your sanded areas have slight alignment flaws. Maybe you want to consider reshaping the outer edges...rounding them off like this, finishing it up with very subtle blending with the grass texture maybe. Gives it a more realistic look in my opinion. :)

Finally, if your layout is geared for rookies and intermediates, this track will prove to be great fun. I ran 8 laps with four others and the consensus was that it's far too easy. There's no point or points in it that force racers to excercise a little caution, no areas of difficulty that requires some form of adaptation or improvisation to overcome in order to gain an edge. And in truth there doesn't have to be...if that's your intent. I just thought I'd let ya know.

Still, I'm very impressed with your work of late, bud - you've come a heck of a long way. :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2003 6:36 am 
Trackologist

Quote:
Is anyone else helping to test this?

Why yes...yes, Cr@$h lol. Question is, what's the latest from you, bud? :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2003 11:28 am 

I been away a bit lately. New games, you know the kind. There's one called GeneRally. You should see the track editor.

Anyway, I have done some work on SR. Been truck making, those MotoGP trucks. I'm redoing the whole set. I guess I should finish up SR soon and get it on the tracks page, the ones out at the moment ain't exactly jaw-dropping.

So, I'll just have a look through it in Traxx and see if it's ready for Beta II. Btw Cope, you said the layout was not tough enough. I'm going to add a slalom and hairpin to make an 'arena' section.

I just noticed that about a month ago, I made that chicane even twistier.

Beta II coming up any minute now.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2003 11:47 am 
Trackologist

True, but if your intent was for it to be relatively "pain-free", that's fine too. It's your call, partner...and welcome back! :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2003 1:24 pm 

Not bad at all even though I never tried it though some improvements could be made. I wish I could run it but the darn MTM2 ain't working!