MTM2.com

A forum for mtm2 discussion
FAQ :: Search :: Members :: Groups :: Register
Login
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:56 pm

Post subject: N4sc is a BETA
PostPosted: Sat Apr 17, 2004 4:16 pm 
The Dog House

First can you please make this track Beta 4 me, I made it circuit by mistake, now i cant find what i wont 2 do 2 this monster. Most of the tex work is by Gk Castle {Sir-James}. Any advice would be great. Check points are maked by temporary marks. Track name is also temp, Thanks Charles

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 17, 2004 9:07 pm 
The Dog House

Well i made the first change. Got rid of segment 8, 7 runs a more direct route 2 the now segment 8{what was 9}. Also extended 3 a little, moved 4 up abit. Both work much better 4 the Comp trucks.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 18, 2004 7:34 am 
Trackologist

I'll check it out and get you some feedback by tomorrow, Charles.

Post subject: Thanks Slo-Cope
PostPosted: Sun Apr 18, 2004 8:20 am 
The Dog House

Thanks Slo-Cope. any-thing coming from you is GREAT, the name that rocks most Track records. Thanks look forward 2 what you"ve got 2 say, Charles

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 18, 2004 9:45 am 
Trackologist

LOL well I sure appreciate the confidence, but the reality of it is no one person sees it all, and I definitely don't. For these things several eyes and viewpoints are what yield better tracks, not just the isolated opinion of one guy. :) Just like Phin isn't really "the man", I'm no beta testing genius lolol.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 18, 2004 10:04 am 
Glow Ball

Hey! watch it!

Charles, I'm swamped but if you hold tight I'll get a look at this early in the week too.

Post subject: Thanks Phineus
PostPosted: Sun Apr 18, 2004 10:11 am 
The Dog House

Yes sir i can do, Thanks Phineus your imput always a welcome.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 18, 2004 12:38 pm 

i tried the track..

i think it could use a little more eye candy. other than that it had some pretty good gameplay.

Post subject: Thanks-Tyler
PostPosted: Sun Apr 18, 2004 1:21 pm 
The Dog House

Thanks man, yep eye candy, nice way 2 put it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2004 5:53 pm 
Glow Ball

Excellent terrain work, tho it could use a tree and a bush.

http://cownap.com/~forum/beta/n4sc/

Post subject: Ok Phineus
PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2004 7:21 pm 
The Dog House

Ok First picture {Drop off} I like it because its 1 corner thats not like the others, a little steep but rather easy, 1st tunnel {Second picture} is low,will rise, Third picture blocky look will work on, Forth picture {2nd tunnel} I also like because your going up hill into the tunnel, seems 2 fit , {FIFTH PICTURE} honestly i need work on this yes, but am alittle lost on this 2 be honest, Sixth picture, i will lower the road 2 eye level with the turn. Thank you much Phineus 4 your time on this, Charles

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2004 8:22 pm 
Glow Ball

Notes on the palette. You'll like this very much, once you get used to the idea.

http://cownap.com/~mtmg/traxx/palette.html

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2004 10:26 pm 
Trackologist

Haven't forgotten about ya, Charles - I'll be posting my comments later tonight during my lunch break.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 20, 2004 5:26 am 
Trackologist

Alrighty, here we go, and I only have a few observations.

- First off, I think it's a nice little layout; not real challenging, but it should produce some pretty exciting, close-quarter racing, which of course translates into fun. :)

- I think you could do without the extra stretch of roadway here. Round it off, throw up a few trees, a pic of my truck, etc, and be done with it lol. Kidding about the truck thing - don't do that lol.

- Here's a couple of shots of the alignment issues Phin referenced - here & here.

- In these two shots (1 & 2) the walls of the tunnel are extending out onto the surface texture work.

Other than that it looks pretty good. Don't see a problem with the cp placement you've laid out. I'd like to restate what Phin already mentioned about the blockiness in several areas of the track. Round off and smooth hills and mountains where possible for a more natural look.
That's it for now - gotta head back to work. It's been one of those nights lol. Lookin good tho, Charles!

Post subject: Ok Slo-Cope
PostPosted: Tue Apr 20, 2004 10:20 am 
The Dog House

Got rid of the extra road way, the alignment, my eyes cant pick it up the way you can, will look my best 4 this spots, changed the 2 places at the tunnel shown on pictures 4and5, they may need more done, will work on them and put a second Beta out soon,Charles

Post subject: Re: Ok Slo-Cope
PostPosted: Tue Apr 20, 2004 12:56 pm 
Glow Ball

> the alignment, my eyes cant pick it up the way you can...

Don't kid yourself, that's probably one of the hardest parts about doing textures. Everybody has a hard time seeing those seams and picking up those little misalignments. Our job is just to drive you crazy by nagging you about it. Anyway, the best advice anybody can give is to learn how to use patterns and templates.

http://cownap.com/~mtmg/traxx/patterns.html

The idea is since Sir James has created a txx with the roads laid out, you copy the area(s) you want and paste them into the pattern box. Now you can copy and paste from there right into your track. Then, if there are misalignments, it's usually becuase that's how the originals are.... which can be okay sometimes too since the terrain is number one on the priority scale. But if alignment is easily at hand, then why not, eh?

An extra note I forgot yesterday. Could you please go through your textures and set their type to all dirt please. Grass can be acceptable, but there are many types that are too slippery and make a track undrivable. I wouldn't want to see this track go unnoticed cuz of the tire grip, you know.

New business. The arrangement of the starting truck positions is single-file. Please put them in pairs side by side, or even three side by side. Would you want to be in position eight at the start of a race?

Checkpoint markers. Let us know if you plan to put markers or keep it with textures. I think we can probably spiff up those in one way or another.

Lastly, don't put cope's truck pic in there. Goodness, whatever you do, don't do that! He'll curse this track, and every track you make in the future. I made that mistake once and now nobody will drive anything I make :P

Post subject: No-Picture
PostPosted: Tue Apr 20, 2004 6:17 pm 
The Dog House

Ok Phineus your right, I'll study up on Patterns & Templates, the grass setting does seem 2 make the comp trucks slide a little much and your rearend does come around 2 much, the starting spots will be hard 2 give on, but ill change it up, i like the single file because comp trucks get in 2 line and give you a couple good racing laps, good practice starting deeper in the field. I got some check points from Malibu_350s, their on Beta 2, see what you think then, can always try something different. As far as Cope's picture, I dont wont {The Cope Curse}hehe

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 20, 2004 6:32 pm 
Glow Ball

> the starting spots will be hard 2 give on

You don't have to give in on anything. We make suggestions so you know what you're dealing with. That's all. The real decisions are up to you. It's your track and ultimately your choices. That's not a bad thing. Many many times people keep their ideas or proceed with what they like. It's not up to you to please us. It's up to you to build what you enjoy doing.

Let me give you an example. I am about to release a narrow track. The complaint will be that it's too narrow for online competitive racing. I know that. See, it comes down to what you know and what you don't know so that your choices are informed decisions, and not because you didn't know any better. In my case, I've decided the track will remain narrow... even tho it will lose some racers. It's a conscious decision I make. With black gold, I was faced with the same problem. In that case, I first made it wider (because I could) and then later came out with three versions. In this case, I'll only do the one track. I know the options, I know the score, I'll live with the result.

In your case, we're just making sure you know what the options are. You're new to the track making scene so we try to point out everything we can. It won't be long, the way you've been progressing, and you'll be telling us what's what.

In sum, if you want single file, then by all means keep them single file. As long as we know you've made some deliberate decisions, you won't hear complaints from us.

Post subject: Its a Beta
PostPosted: Tue Apr 20, 2004 10:49 pm 
The Dog House

Well did the same thing again, Can you please make N4SC a Beta, Phineus didn't mean 2 get ya mad or anything man, just messing around when i said that about the starting spots, i do realize these things bro, as far as what i do or do not wont in the track, but please believe me when i say its important 2 me what you and all think {MtmG Folks} looks or works best, i do thank you much 4 all your input Phineus, I'm sorry if ya toke that wrong, Charles

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 20, 2004 11:46 pm 
Glow Ball

> I'm sorry if ya toke that wrong

Sorry, my friend, but I don't toke things wrong. And please lets shut up about it already, thanks.