MTM2.com

A forum for mtm2 discussion
FAQ :: Search :: Members :: Groups :: Register
Login
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:43 pm

Post subject: Ouarzazate beta
PostPosted: Sat Apr 10, 2004 4:53 am 

Took me a while to get started on this, but i finally got around to it.
I promised i would make a track that involved one of the village sections you see in X-raid. Well, here is the first beta of it.

I think (or should i say hope [;)] ) it's pretty good allready. A few flaws in which i'm not sure of.
1. some checkpoint markers are to small. Maybe i'll change them, dunnow yet.
2. ai sucks. need a lot of work on that part
3. maybe some models need turning 180°
4. you guys will probably find some other stuff :D

I hope it's short enough. When driving it i got it down to 3:18, but ofcourse when building a track i'm not really going for fast times. So when the big guns get in action i think it will prob drop to 3.00 min.

I don't have as much time as when i was building X-raid, because now it's way more busy at work, outside the house, and i'm busy with some other stuff on pc as well. So it will take a little longer before i'm able to upload a next beta.

Think that's it, start shooting guys [;)]

OOOOOPPPSSS : http://users.pandora.be/mumhra/newtrack/ouarzazate.zip

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 10, 2004 8:05 am 

I only ran 2 laps this morning so this is only my first impression.

Cool! hehe I must say i'm not a big fan of overlaping map tho. huge part of it is overlap or crossing path witch is ground for serious crashing. with that long overlap crashs and confusion are almost certain. However, like i said when you did Xraid i like that part in the village very very much.
I will have a look deeper into it when i can (when i'm alone no one looking over my shoulder lol)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 10, 2004 1:11 pm 

Just what i've come up with so far. Hope the page works:

Ouarzazante

Edit: spelled the name wrong 3 different times :/

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 10, 2004 6:06 pm 
You Gonna Eat That?

Heeeeeeeey, I like that!

Very cool layout, I love how it back tracks through itself. I love everything about it, except 2 things...

When you first start down that first straight, you have a jump there, that is too far down the line imo. I'd slide it back some, because when I hit it, I was in midair, so I couldn't make that first turn.

Second, in the middle of the track in places, I'd set some of those fences to no collide, so you can get out of the way of the bot trucks if you need to.

Other than that, I think it's a very cool track. Some guys make it a little too easy to run it, it's kind of cool to make you think about where you're gonna go for a change. It keeps you thinking and on your toes, I dig it. Great job Mum.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 10, 2004 9:17 pm 

Quote:
I'd slide it back some, because when I hit it, I was in midair, so I couldn't make that first turn.

Speed control RF hehehe speed control. I'd leave that part as is, at rigth speed you make the bumps and land in right angle to make the curve. np there for me.

My only concern is there's a long way overlaping the first part and also many crossing path at the turn around point. The overlaping part is tough for online racing mainly because the line to make those curves (up and downhill) is the same. If you're crossing anyone coming in the opposite direction you cant avoid them. Unavoidable crashes is not the best scenario. It's a great layout to race for lap time. But i'm not sure how to feel about it because of the overlaping part.

Other than that, it's really great.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 11, 2004 7:04 am 

Okay, this is what I noticed about the track as a racer;
  • It's a very 'tight' (small) track, a bit to much to the left or right will make you crash into 'something'. Not that's a bad thing at all, but very tricky during the whole track.
  • The overlapping part looks like fun in a real race, however I think there should be some real testing if it could be a serious problem. I'd love to see it in the final result though.
  • I don't know if there are good reasons to make these unknockable.
  • The bridges didn't feel like bridges.
  • A good thing :)
  • And this might use some attention.
  • Where are the people in the village? :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 11, 2004 7:30 am 

Thnx for all the quick replys guys. I allready started on a next beta, because some of that stuff was really interesting.

Would like to answer a few question tho...

Kdawg:

- Some of the things u showed i knew allready, some i didn't so i'm working on it.
- The name of the track is not only difficult for americans, but also for us (europeans). It's a city in Africa and i just like the ring of it lol.

Jumper :

- I choose to make this track with overlapping and a few intersections because i just felt like it. I think some of the best mtm tracks are made that way (vice versa, zoon shock,...). I'm not saying every track should be like this, but now and then i like to run a track like this because it adds something extra. Every lap is different because you can encounter oncoming traffic.
I drove a few laps with hotshoe and JM online and so far we did not have any crashes on it. However, i want to test it more online before releasing it.

Rep fan :

- Great you liking the track so much. I can understand what you said about setting some of those fences to no-collide. Actually i don't like those fences, but i had to put them in. i do not have enough cp's to spare, so it's possible to follow a completely different road and still make all cp's. But i was afraid that when playing online it just would be to messy with trucks coming at ya from everywhere.
The fences are in there to make sure you drive straight ahead at each intersection. it still is possible to go left or right, but it's slower.
I've placed a few extra fences so it's impossible to drive in the side of a fence. The way i made it now you will always be pushed in the right direction. Hope this solution helps a little.

Scrooch :

- I made those signs unknockable because it would not be lifelike at all if they would stop your truck. I played with the idea to make them moveable, but if i were in lead i would throw them all away so the trucks behind me would get lost...
- Les made the bridges a little wider for me. Hope they will feel more like bridges then.
- the bitmap image is not deffinate. Just a pic i had on my pc somewhere which i really liked. But it turned out really ugly when i changed it to 8 bit colors.
- i would place some people in the village if you made some for me. They offcourse have to be coloured people (no whiteys), and i would reallu dig a topless dark chick that's making manioc with a stomper. [nyuk]

I found one big problem myself. Please drive the track on normal scenery setting. If you play on sparse you will encounter invisible walls. This because some trees are put on normal setting, but the invisible box around the base are on sparse level.
This will be resolved in next beta which i will upload asap.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 11, 2004 9:25 am 
You Gonna Eat That?

"But i was afraid that when playing online it just would be to messy with trucks coming at ya from everywhere."

I actually like that sometimes, if I'm not trying to beat my time, and just feel like racing, I love bashing into the bots once in awhile. Most of the time they are always in my way anyway, so it's cool.

I didn't have a problem when I ran it, but I figured I'd throw that in there when you did get the bots to follow the course, it may become an issue, but if it does, not a problem either.

Hit em! [:P]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 11, 2004 9:47 am 

Quote:
- I made those signs unknockable because it would not be lifelike at all if they would stop your truck. I played with the idea to make them moveable, but if i were in lead i would throw them all away so the trucks behind me would get lost...

Yeah, yeah - I mean movable :) I get your point, but if you hit one of those signs, there are still 3 or 4 standing in that same corner.

Quote:
- Les made the bridges a little wider for me. Hope they will feel more like bridges then.

They didn't feel like bridges because they look very humpy and fragile, but while driving over them they didnt make my truck hump at all, it was very straight.

Quote:
- the bitmap image is not deffinate. Just a pic i had on my pc somewhere which i really liked. But it turned out really ugly when i changed it to 8 bit colors.

Well, I ment that it didn't fit quite well in the mtm2 window, the pic itself looks quite great.

Quote:
- i would place some people in the village if you made some for me. They offcourse have to be coloured people (no whiteys), and i would reallu dig a topless dark chick that's making manioc with a stomper.

I can hardly draw smileys lol

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 11, 2004 11:26 am 
The viewing thing for the image fitting in the rectangle is 257x210.
I didn't mention it because it was the same in X-raid so I figured you prefer it like that.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 11, 2004 1:20 pm 

Anonymous wrote:
The viewing thing for the image fitting in the rectangle is 257x210.
I didn't mention it because it was the same in X-raid so I figured you prefer it like that.

Sorry, you lost me there [uhoh]

Just wanted to let you guys know i've uploaded next beta version. Still on http://users.pandora.be/mumhra/newtrack/ouarzazate.zip

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 11, 2004 9:43 pm 

Updated again

Edit: Updated 4/12/04.
I hope I am helping. I enjoy this track alot and like seeing how it is progressing.

I can only really give the perspective of appearance and how it works in the game.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2004 2:04 am 

Very nicely done Kdawg :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 17, 2004 4:05 am 

Just uploaded next version to http://users.pandora.be/mumhra/newtrack/ouarzazate.zip

Thnx Kdawg for those wider cp-models. they look awesome, just like the wider bridge hotshoe made for me :)

I think everything is fixed, besides the ai that i don't seem to be able to get working like i want it to.
Maybe a minor problem at the first bridge. You can't see those poles no more, but it is impossible to drive there in opposite direction at low speeds because you bump into the bridge now. If you ave enough speed you will jump over it. Don't think that's a big problem, but maybe you guys think otherwise.

I did not change those cp-models, just moved them a little. Hope the problem with Army saying : 'missed cp' is over and done with. If it still no good i'll have to change the models. (Ran outta time for now lol) I don't have that problem, because Army usually drives me wild so i always tell him to shut up lmao. Nothing as bad for a racer as getting distracted because someone is making ya mad lmao

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 18, 2004 7:54 am 
Trackologist

Hehe this one seems to be progressing nicely. I'm about to run it for the first time, but I don't think I'll have much to add considering all the people involved in this one, but that's a good thing. Speaking of which, hey K-dawg. :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 18, 2004 12:16 pm 

I haven't gotten around to this latest version, and haven't really mentioned some things. I will wait to see what Cope and Phin have to say, more than likely one of them will point it out.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2004 5:56 pm 
Glow Ball

http://cownap.com/~forum/beta/ouarzazate/

8)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2004 10:25 pm 
Trackologist

Hehe well if you see something, Dawg, go ahead and speak out, bud. This one's had quite a bit of input thus far so I'll stay out of it and focus on the other betas. :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2004 11:06 pm 
easy company

Mum it'd just take me a few minutes to remap the backsides of those cp's that are doubled up on in there, I can also fix those 'wrong way' signs so they better suit your track.

I'll be back.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2004 11:16 pm 
Glow Ball

> to remap the backsides of those cp's

He should still place them back to back ! ! !

Or better yet, put one cp number on one side and the other cp number on the other side. Scrap the second model entirely.