MTM2.com

A forum for mtm2 discussion
FAQ :: Search :: Members :: Groups :: Register
Login
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 1:05 am

Post subject: ZN Creek Beta
PostPosted: Tue Jun 01, 2004 2:03 pm 

Here is my new track. I had another track made before this and alot of people told me that the track theme didnt fit the track as a total. So now I got the track split up and here is the first one (The second is far from ready):

http://www.freehen.raiderhosting.us/ash ... k_beta.zip

The textures are from ZooN. Thnx

All comments are welcome :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 01, 2004 2:35 pm 
Glow Ball

Generally speaking this one is showing a lot of potential. The layout is good, and the cliff side racing in particular should make for some interesting moments. I do have a few notes, however.

A couple trees are planted a little too deep. There isn't many so just cruise around and adjust as you see fit.

Checkpoint three disrupts the flow of the track. If you want to leave it as a launch ramp for a jump, that would be fine. But as it is now it doesn't bring much on it's own.

I think that probably the whole thing could use some smoothing. It's not bad, mind you, but it could be a much faster track than it is.

Lastly, here's a pic.

What I want to emphasize here is that the pointed take off and landing spots, as well as the upper edge of the hills, are rather contrived in appearance. The swooping downward arch is smooth in comparison. I know it's not always easy, and sometimes not even possible, to create something that flows perfectly smooth or natural but I think there's room for a bit of improvement here, and in a couple other spots.

I'll leave any short cuts to the racers.

Overall, tho, good start. This will definitely turn into a great track.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2004 6:01 am 

I fixed the hills. Moved 2 flying object and mad the 2 jumps more smooth. The big jumpis improved like you told me. I havent removed it cuzz something in me want to keep it lol. If you still think its bad, I can search a solution. I smoothed some more road to make it more drivable cuzz some parts needed refreshment. I only found 2 trees. Some trees look like they are in the ground, but that just because they are like that.

heres the link: http://www.freehen.raiderhosting.us/ash ... k_beta.zip

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2004 11:41 am 
You Gonna Eat That?

This isn't too bad, lil rough, but decent.

One major thing I found when I ran it, was checkpoint 3. You need to raise it up so if you crawl through it, or go through it at higher speed, you trip it either way. I ran through it at a pretty good speed at jumped right over the trigger for it. Had to turn around and go back up.

Then on the way to checkpoint 2, we have this little....
http://teamslo.net/repfan/junk/Goof.jpg so and so. I hate those things, when you go around it at a higher speed, you nearly go off the path on the other side. It needs to go.

Like I said, the path is a little rough, unless you intended it that way. Coolest part I liked was that it's a 2 min. + track, that only has like 4 checkpoints. Good stuff so far.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2004 6:00 am 

Rep Fan wrote:
One major thing I found when I ran it, was checkpoint 3. You need to raise it up so if you crawl through it, or go through it at higher speed, you trip it either way. I ran through it at a pretty good speed at jumped right over the trigger for it. Had to turn around and go back up.

That's what you get when bins are used for checkpoints (like stock tracks use and traxx school promotes). It's best to use object boxes.

Info on real checkpoints:
http://forum.mtm2.com/viewtopic.php?t=1980
http://forum.mtm2.com/viewtopic.php?t=2641

Ashes! I have to say I love the rugged cliff roads, this track really has a classic rally look and feel. Very nice work.

I haven't studied it closely yet but Rep Fan has already pointed out one thing I would have complained about (the checkpoint). As far as the climb goes, I don't like the way the textures are flowing in that area, it just doesn't seem obvious that you're supposed to be going up, unless you see the checkpoint markers. This is easy enough to learn, but it doesn't 'feel' right.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2004 12:40 pm 

Thanks for this very good info all. I noticed that the cp3 area needs to be fixed! Thnx for links Wint. I saw tracks before that used those "object boxes" but never really tried it myself cuzz I didnt understand what the advantage was of them. No I do :) I also noticed while testing it with others driving it for first they followed the textures into the lake. They are confusing indeed.

Thnx, im gonna fix it later this week :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2004 4:02 pm 
Trackologist

Yeah, I concur on the flow of the road textures leading to cp 3. First time I ran it I went right, then left lol...then figured out I had to go straight, then up. As for the rest of it I'll have to have another look...or a more critical look. But yeah, it is reminiscent of the old school days. :) Ash's layouts are pretty dang impressive if you ask me. I'll be back tonight if I get a lunch break lol.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2004 9:54 am 

Here is what I have now: http://www.mtm2.com/~tracks/dl.cgi?dl=4140

cp3 fixed, textures on cp 3 fixed and road to cp 3 fixed. does it still needs to be improved?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2004 2:15 pm 
Glow Ball

This is much better than the first version. I think cp three is still a tad tall, but that's really your call. Other than that, I don't see any major problems here.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2004 4:57 pm 

I uploaded the final version, ZN Creek Beta can now be deleted.

Heres the picture

ZN Creek: