MTM2.com

A forum for mtm2 discussion
FAQ :: Search :: Members :: Groups :: Register
Login
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:36 pm

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2005 9:31 pm 

Ok, I tried that, and got as far as extracting the pod to a folder that I put on my desktop. Opening TRAXX, viewing my POD, clicking Clone TrackED Track, Double-Clicking on the file ( NIRTWIST.SIT), but All I get is an error message "Error Cloning Track, SIT not in proper location"..

http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b123/ ... Clone1.jpg

And Once I click OK, this comes up...

http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b123/ ... Clone2.jpg

What did I do wrong? Do I need to put the SIT file in a spacfic location? Thanks in advance for the help. :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2005 9:43 pm 
Glow Ball

First, bummer about losing what you had. It's a tough hurdle to over come. In future, you might think of saving txx files with incremental numbers that mark every major stage of your progress. For example:

MYTRACK01.txx - after terrain is finished
MYTRACK02.txx - after models are finished
MYTRACK03.txx - after the course is done
MYTRACK04.txx - after the checkpoints

Etcetera...

That way if something ever goes wrong, you can go back to the last good copy with minimal loss.

Okay, and now with the barn door tightly closed...

You have to extract the files to your traxx directory. If you use podview, you can check the box to maintain the directory structure so that models go into the models folder, act and raw files go into the art folder, and all the rest go where they belong too. If you extract to some other place, then you'll have to reset the traxx path options.

One more note as a word of caution. The clone feature is anything but perfect. Once the models are imported, they will be at absolute position - which, in english, means if you touch them in any way you will have to reset them to the terrain. Still, all your texture and terrain work will come in perfectly. Once you've done cloning, you'll have to reset the track name, any bitmaps you've set, the backdrop and other tidbits in the components box.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 10, 2005 12:14 am 

CHA-CHING!!!! That worked brilliantly guys!! However the model placement is, like you said, not good hehe. But it's sooooo good to know that I'm not that far off from were I was before the accident. I'll have to go over the models that are in the track now, with a fine tooth comb again to make sure the properties are all good, and reset them if need be, (from quick glance, they all need a little sprucing up.)

I think what I'm gonna do now, since I changed the terrain quite a bit in some areas, is up it for beta, and just focus on the terrain part of it. Then, when thats all cosher, Ill work on finishing it up with fixing the models from the cloning, and add more to complete it.

A BIG Thank You to Phineus and Mat_Allum for your help guys! You just saved me a whole lot of heartache. :D And Thanks for the input about saving the .txx files in segments. Im gonna do that from now on.

I just need to fix a few object boxes on a few rocks that you land on, and probably up this yet tonite for terrain betaing.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2005 4:57 am 

http://www.mtm2.com/~tracks/dl.cgi?dl=4392

Ok, time for the beta-ing. As previously stated in my last post, This is a terrain beta. It took me alot longer to get the track back than I thought it would. Cloning it worked, but I had a problem when trying to reset model, and object box posistioning. To were if I made any adjustments to anything, that when I returned to work on it, the above ground setting would always be reset to zero (0). So I dl'ed the DMG textures again, copied and pasted the terrain, reset the course segments, and threw in the CP models roughly, just so I can have adjustablilty of models again (once you run it, you will see why I needed that adjustability, for the rock landings). So through all of that, Im one step above square one again lol.

I took some of the boring parts of the track, and gave them some cool factor. Hopefully it's a little more challenging. I added some more bumps in certian spots to make it a little tougher to negate. I lowered some of the jumps and landing pads to give more of a sence of speed, and to keep a little more momentum going. Keep in mind that there is only 3 working CP's as of now, the rest are just in place so you know were they are going to be, and the are not set properly, I just set them to no collide for now.

So give'er a try again, I hope you like the changes. :)

Mods, Feel free to delete the first version of this track, thank you.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2005 3:29 am 
Glow Ball

> it's a little more challenging

That's one word for it.

> I added some more bumps in certian spots to make it a little tougher to navigate

Adding bumps or obstacles is usually not the best way to proceed. People will tell you different things but generally the course should be the challenge, not artificial contrivances. You have enough in this track to make it interesting, you don't need to rely on gimmicks like this. If you can get it smooth, then by all means do. After all, not everything will work out properly. Save the bumps for those spots they can't be gotten rid of.

> I lowered some of the jumps and landing pads

Yeah, right.

The only thing I'll add at this point is that you have several spots that are treacherous. You might think about providing recovery routes for those who don't make the grade. A crash should put somebody out of contention, it should not put them out of the game.

two cents

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2005 8:05 am 

Very true Phin. I had trouble a couple times on those off-angle jumps that were said to be made easier to navigate, they aren't. It's darn near impossible for me to hit those jumps right. Sorry Max.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2005 10:30 pm 
easy company

The only area I have a problem with is where you need to jump over, by, or on some big rock outcroppings, I get lost, then crash every time lol. I think it would be a good idea to give some visual guidance like some fencing or arrows to show the safest path. And to reiterate what Phin brought up, make area's that surround difficult areas more driver friendy so racers can get back into the race asap after they crash.

Overall I really like what you've done so far Max, very nice.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2005 3:30 am 
Trackologist

I'm chiming in a little late, but hey . . . that's what people have come to expect from me lol.

Very nice work, MaX. Overall I love the course you've put together, however, I too agree with Phin and Mal. My opinion varies slightly, however. I think you could do without that double jump gimmick altogether. Oh hey, don't get me wrong; it's cool to nail that sucker, and I have a few times, but considering the layout you've put together (good stuff, too!), you could easily leave it out and still have a great track that's fun and very challenging. Also, relaxing this jump would help, too.

You're probably thinking, "Geez, those are the coolest parts of the track!!!" lol, well hey, first of all it's your call in the end. All you'll get here are opinions and recommendations for the most part All I know is when I ran this track the first time, I recall thinking "Man, that was great! Fun, good pace, exciting, very challenging, but manageable." With the two jumps you've created you've negated the "manageable" characteristic of your track as far as I can see.

Still, I love it! Here's a suggestion: Make a dupe of what you have, then in one version tame this jump so it's closer to a no-brainer and take out the other one completely, then release two versions of the track. You could have "NIR_Twister Canyon" & "NIR_Twister Canyon (Death Wish) lol. Hey, it's an option, something to consider. Heck I'd run the Death Wish version with ya any time lol. There have been different versions of tracks released before with one being more difficult than the other, so if you're really partial to those two jumps in your track, think it over. :)

Post subject: NIR Twister Canyon Beta v1.2
PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2005 6:28 pm 

http://www.mtm2.com/~tracks/dl.cgi?dl=4396

Ok, Ive smoothed it out some, and took out some of the harder parts, like the rock landings, and mellowed the ramp that COPE suguested. It's alot faster now, and I think its much better than before. Hopefully after this, I can get it wrapped up by setting all models, and Cp's and give it one more test before it's done. :) Give'r a spin:)

Edit: Oh, and Mod's, feel free to delete version 1.1 :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2005 6:58 pm 

well im more of a drag guy, but i thought i would join in on the fun with this track :-)

i love it! it looks great, and is unique. there are a few parts where i had major problems(i finished a lap in 6.53 lol) but they were probably stupid noob mistakes that most vets would laught at me for doing. ne ways great track, i cant wait to see the finished version!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2005 8:33 pm 
Glow Ball

Rookies need not apply, eh? Much improved but this is one brutal track... in a good way.

I have sight line issues in a couple spots but before I make any fuss and bother, let's see how you shape up with models and stuff.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2005 8:05 pm 
Trackologist

Ran it with with MaX the other night - much improved version in my opinion. Admittedly I haven't taken a hard look at it, so can't say whether I have concerns/objective criticisms at this point. I'll find something to complain about though - just give me a day or two lol.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2005 7:18 am 

Hey Max, the pictures ain't working anymore man [uhoh] Gonna need to check this one out myself then :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2006 3:56 am 

I have a habit of removing pictures I host after a month's time.

First quarter of the year has me real, real, busy. Being on the road alot working MT shows, and other things. But now that's all done and over with for a while. I'ts time to kick back and have some fun!

I've been working on this track alot lately. I should be ready to release the final beta within the next two weeks or so....

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2006 4:10 pm 

Good to hear bro.

Cant wait to test it :)