MTM2.com

A forum for mtm2 discussion
FAQ :: Search :: Members :: Groups :: Register
Login
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 4:55 am

Post subject: In the news
PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2005 10:43 am 
Glow Ball

EmceeMart, a long time friend and mtmer, has recently sent me a couple notes so I thought I'd pass along his message.

[ MC said ]

I have a new (2nd hand) computer which works fine

I got to thinking about the Expo entry I didn't get to finish - so decided to reinstall MTM2.

I have 5 or 6 MTM tracks in progress.... also a tutorial (how to make perfect 45 degree turns - altitude) as well as some updates on templates etc.

I've been busy [/end quote]

And a couple screenshots.

<center>
http://mtm2.com/~forum/images/mc50mtm1.jpg

http://mtm2.com/~forum/images/mc50mtm2.jpg

http://mtm2.com/~forum/images/mc50mtm3.jpg
</center>

We look forward, MC.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2005 9:22 am 
Trackologist

We looking forward to it indeed! Heck we're still laying down tire threads on Mcmountrally lol. Can't wait to see what he has in store for us. ;)

Post subject: Ramparoony!
PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2005 10:03 am 

This is my first MTM2 track for a while. It's the culmination of 4 tutorials I've been working on. Still needs a little tweeking (like the AI) but is more or less complete.
http://home.earthlink.net/~emceemart/ramparoony.zip
Readme still needs updating to credit contributors.
Let me know of any malfunctions.

(the track is set as mud so it's a little slippy) :)

Read the Readme.

Good to be back

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2005 12:27 pm 
Glow Ball

A few notes.

• Way too slippery, even at deep tires. The texture depth is okay, but try the type at 'dirt'.
  • Checkpoints might do well to be at the corners instead of at the road intersections. As it is, you can cut through some of the trees.
  • I'm not sure you need cp3 - and the arrows are unnecessary.
  • There's some shine through with the tree transparency. I think that comes from the fact you probably put the trees in first and the surrounding scenery afterward. There's no real solution except to take them back out, finish the track, then put them back in as the very last step. That may not solve everything, but it'll definitely help.
  • Outer walls are presently no collide but I expect you know that.

It's a fun track and has lots of potential. I like the look and feel, for sure. But the biggest point right now is it's too slippery to enjoy.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2005 3:01 pm 

Thanks for your notes Phin. I shall update within a couple days. I forgot to mention that I'm also working on a few Evo2 tracks at the same time - so my back burner is smoking!

Quote:
Way too slippery, even at deep tires. The texture depth is okay, but try the type at 'dirt'.

I agree and will try that.

Quote:
Checkpoints might do well to be at the corners instead of at the road intersections. As it is, you can cut through some of the trees.

Quote:
I'm not sure you need cp3 - and the arrows are unnecessary.

Yes..... the checkpoint placement and arrows have been an evolving thing. I wanted to eliminate the need for extra models by using ground boxes but I think I'll have to rethink that idea. Shortcuts were meant to be an option, but not obvious.

Quote:
There's some shine through with the tree transparency. I think that comes from the fact you probably put the trees in first and the surrounding scenery afterward. There's no real solution except to take them back out, finish the track, then put them back in as the very last step. That may not solve everything, but it'll definitely help.

Yes I noticed the shine through and didn't really know what to do about it. I'm of a mind to make new textures/ bins for the trees and replace them. But I'll do that last as you suggest.

Quote:
Outer walls are presently no collide but I expect you know that.

Yes, the outer walls is a single model and setting it to Default resulted in the trucks hitting an invisible "ceiling" so I set it to No Collide with the intention of adding collision boxes around the sides later.

Quote:
It's a fun track and has lots of potential. I like the look and feel, for sure. But the biggest point right now is it's too slippery to enjoy.

Thanks for the input. You've given me food for thought.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2005 4:10 pm 
Glow Ball

> Yes I noticed the shine through and didn't really know what to do about it.

Here's the tip. Models are rendered in order. First models are rendered first, and last ones last. So, if a first one happens to be in front of a last one, the first will block it because the last one is not rendered until afterward. The trick then is to put in the non transparent ones first and save transparency for later.

The same principle holds for faces on the models too, which can get tricky in some cases.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2005 7:41 pm 

Way too slippery right now. But I see you're working on it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 24, 2005 2:02 am 

Grrreat to have you back here Emcee. [howdy]

That stuff is looking good.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2005 5:11 am 

Here are my 2 cents:

1) Slippery
For me it could be OK to have a track more slippery than the standard default/dirt. Controlling a truck with the rear hanging out can be great fun. But as it is now, your track is too slippery even for my taste.
What you could do is using the gravel setting (instead of mud).
Another idea could be to leave the mud only on very a limited part of the track (e.g. one of the high banked curves). Needless to say, that area should also have a visually different texture. The transition from a very slippery to a hi-grip area can provide a good driving challenge.

2) Narrow CPs
With slippery settings, there should be more room at the CPs that are located after a tight turn (when you join the outer ring from the inner cross).

3) Too smoth
The track feels a bit sterile due to the absence of irregularities. I'm not suggesting to add huge bumps in MX style, just some irregularities, a small dip here, a little bump there, that removes the "everywhere-the-same" feeling. These can also prevent the track from becoming too easy if you go for the hi-grip textures.

4) The outer wall
As was already mentionned, there is a transparency problem in combination with the trees. I'm not sure it can be fixed here because the crude logic of the renderer seems to be based on the center of the objects: if the center lies behind the transparent object, it will be rendered in the transparent area, otherwise not. With very large objects (like your walls) the engine will or will not render properly objects in the transparent area, depending on the vieweing angle. Maybe you need to find a completely different solution.
Glad you liked the texture, though, lol.

All in all it's a good beta. Hope to see an improved version soon.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2005 1:08 pm 

Thanksgiving 2005:

Updated quite a bit and took all suggestions on board:

changed mud texture properties from 'mud' to 'dirt' - cut down on the slippiness.

removed groundbox checkpoints

made new checkpoint markers

new course layout

removed outer walls , altered terrain & retextured 'walls'. This seems to have eliminated the 'shine through' problem.

made new tree bins

watched a movie

got stuffed with turkey

I think it's almost finished.... I may add some more models (like fences, cones) and maybe a train and helicopter or 2.

ramparoony beta 1.1

Thanks for your comments rocketacles. Very helpful.
As far as the smoothness goes.... I guess I prefer "smooth" altitude transitions as opposed to a sudden hump or bump, but that's just personal preference. I like more of a predictable racing lline though I may well add a few bumps and dips. I intend to add more models to make the course less "samey". I hope you check out the latest beta and see what you think.
Quote:
Glad you liked the texture, though, lol.

Which one?

Hi to Wint!
[:-)]

Hello Cope

Hi Scatter

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2005 2:56 pm 
Trackologist

Nice work, Emcee! Seems like pretty much everything has been covered. I've only taken a few laps on it, but so far all I've noticed is that that cp 8 won't trip if you're slightly off-center going though the finish. I'm going to take a few more laps on it later today, however. ;)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2005 5:31 pm 

wow

i really really like this track a lot. i tried the first and second versions and the 2nd is a lot better IMO. i love the banked turns and the layout. The best time i managed was 1:07. Thats probably pretty bad but im more of a dragger than a circuit guy but i always love tryin out circuits. this is one of my favorite tracks

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2005 7:12 pm 

Quote:
I've noticed is that that cp 8 won't trip if you're slightly off-center going though the finish

Yes, I think I need to raise the checkbox so you don't fly over it off the ramp. Apart from that and tweaking the AI a little more I think it just needs eye candy.

Thanks for your comments G8tor :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2005 8:11 pm 
easy company

Cp7 will not trigger if taken wide, and cp5 will not register if taken on the inside. You may want to consider using object boxes for checkpoints since they can be sized to fit any width and height.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 26, 2005 9:16 am 

Much better Emcee.

The driveability(sp?) of this track is greatly improved.

CP8 is indeed a problem if you fly over it.

Keep up the good work.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2005 4:07 pm 

Quote:
Cp7 will not trigger if taken wide, and cp5 will not register if taken on the inside. You may want to consider using object boxes for checkpoints since they can be sized to fit any width and height.

Thanks Mal - that earned you a credit in the Readme :)

http://home.earthlink.net/~emceemart/ramparoony.zip

I think it's finished... let me know.

Please read the Readme.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2005 6:05 pm 

how did i get in the readme? i just said i loved the track [nyuk]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2005 8:25 pm 
Trackologist

Still checking the cp's but so far so good . . . but I was curious about the fence work here. This was the only section I was able to jar the pieces loose like this. Also, the fencing pops up as you pass by. I'm guessing you used fencing in a few spots to preclude corner cuts. The rest of the fencing seems to be in place purely for aesthetic purposes . . . consistency maybe. I cut corners on the previous version, and although I didn't do extensive comparison testing, I ran it enough to conclude that on the corners you were able to cut, there was no appreciable lap time advantage in the end. For one you have to slow up to cut the corner, except for at the start of the race, cutting the corner to cp 1. Secondly, you want to set up for the "next" turn by going a touch wide to achieve maximum momentum through it, and on to the next cp. By cutting the corner you lose momentum thru the ensuing turn because you have to slow down to take the cut, then adjust your truck to take the next turn.

Personally, my recommendation would be take the fence work out altogether. But . . . if you have to have fencing, check out the stuff on Wint's "Ruach". :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2005 9:46 pm 
easy company

> I was curious about the fence work

I was a little curious about that myself but didn't want to get nit picky... Not that Cope is a nit picker, not by any means... he's just got a sharp eye. :o)

As for models that 'pop up' when driven by, it's just a matter of adjusting their height in relationship with the terrain in traxx (assuming they are centered properly in binedit). What I do is drive up to the model slowly and if it pop's up I make note of it and then raise it up a notch in traxx... sometimes models will drop when driven by, in that case drop it down a notch. Once the game is happy with the models center in relationship to ground level they'll stay put.
Another option and a quicker fix would be to just remove the weight assigned to the model making it static, which may be the way to go here since they're quite heavy as they stand anyway.

The track is a mighty fine one MC...

All my best to your family.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2005 1:53 am 
Trackologist

Oh I don't know, Mal - I don't have a problem with being labled nit picky lol. I mean, if I go thru the trouble of d/ling a beta, mounting it to the game, then running it . . . I'm gonna find something wrong for no other reason than to justify the effort I've expended lol.