MTM2.com

A forum for mtm2 discussion
FAQ :: Search :: Members :: Groups :: Register
Login
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:38 am

Post subject: Summer Isle Beta Version
PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2007 9:18 am 

http://www.mtm2.com/~tracks/dl.cgi?dl=4708

Sorry for the big download. For the final release i will do my best to keep the download to under 2MB.

Anyway here it is. The computer trucks haven't been worked on yet. Will do so in the future releases.

Things to note: I only have space for 40 more objects and the trees are set to non-collide and the rocks (especially the beach rocks) need their collision to be made correctly.

Thus i decided not to do anything because i want to maximize the use of the 40 objects left. I was thinking to leave the trees further from the track on non-collide and only make the collision boxes for the ones immediately next to the track.
But still i won't have enough for all the trees near the track.

P.S. IMO this is the 2nd most boring track i ever did. First place still goes to Ostego's Run.
It does get better if you maximize the graphics settings, especially the water.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2007 7:10 pm 

Well if nobody has any complaining to do then i will just do my best to place the collision boxes in key parts of the track and release it :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2007 8:30 pm 
easy company

The only thing I spotted was real minor, which is that the bridge arches float a little.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2007 8:41 pm 

Of course what i mean by release it is release the next beta with the collision boxes so that it can be tested properly.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2007 11:57 pm 
Trackologist

Sorry for the delay, Fila. Been cramming a lot of stuff in my schedule over the past 48-hours. I'll scope this baby out right after I get home (8 a.m. est) and post my comments here.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2007 12:45 am 
easy company

This is far and away the best thing i've seen Fila ever do, and he's made some really really good stuff before. Bravo Fila. :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2007 7:39 am 
Glow Ball

• track is too dark - this is probably one of the most important things
  • check point markers are not clearly visible
  • check point markers should be no collide
  • water is too deep, especially after the big jump
  • can't recover from short jump after cp2 (I think, might be cp3)
  • laggy near the water farm
  • why are cows and horses in the water anyway
  • check point 11 is half in water
  • helicopters should be on complex
  • collision properties of almost all models is awful (planes, sheds and rocks are the worst)
  • that big rock on the beach is a doozie
  • beach textures are too slippery
  • check point 13 could use a visual clue to turn right
  • finish line is kind of awkward seeing it immediately follows two tight turns (solution: make checkpoint 15 the start/finish line)

A lot of potential but needs tons of work yet.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2007 8:00 am 
Gone Walkabout

Overall I loved this track and considering it is still in beta stage I cant wait to race on it again when it is completed. I loved the open running feeling, summer, open races and freedom.

For what its worth I would like to see the track lightened, I could not get it light enough on my screen and subsequently missed a number of the checkpoint markers, especially towards the end of the track and including the last cp every time.

On the 3rd lap i collided wth 'air' on the beach coming to a dead stop, but I seemed nowhere close to that large boulder on my left lol.

Hope racers get a long clean run to the huge jump cause if you dont and land in the water it will pull you up smartly, be nice if it was a tad not so deep.

I had immense fun on this track and I can see it in my always podded list.

http://www.mtm2online.com
Evo1
http://www.evo1online.com

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2007 8:43 am 

Quote:
# beach textures are too slippery

Why am i not surprised :)

About the dark issue. Hmmm, well i guess i will brighten it up. I have no problems with it, it's not at all dark on my screen.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2007 9:01 am 

Quote:
# check point markers should be no collide

Tough luck, don't hit them. If you hit them good luck finding the CP then :)

Quote:
# check point markers are not clearly visible

I'll ponder about that.

Quote:
# water is too deep, especially after the big jump

If you say so.

Quote:
can't recover from short jump after cp2 (I think, might be cp3)

You mean the short water jumps? If yes then you can go left or right to get back on track, can't see what you cannot recover from.

Quote:
laggy near the water farm

Haven't experienced it neither on maxed out settings neither on minimum. Where exactly is it laggy, near the cows?

Quote:
# why are cows and horses in the water anyway

The area is freshly flooded. The fact that the road is half in the water doesn't beg the same question?

Quote:
check point 11 is half in water

Look above...

Quote:
collision properties of almost all models is awful (planes, sheds and rocks are the worst)

I will probably do the rocks and the ship but the sheds and planes will be tough luck because i don't have enough object space.

Quote:
beach textures are too slippery

Live with it. :D Apparently everyone loves Mud Waltz because it's slippery.

Never heard you whine so much about slippery tracks before :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2007 10:59 am 

Beta Version 0.2 http://www.mtm2.com/~tracks/dl.cgi?dl=4710

# The only thing I spotted was real minor, which is that the bridge arches float a little.

Fixed as far as i can tell

# track is too dark - this is probably one of the most important things

I have brighten it up from traxx. Tell me if there if there is a difference. (i can't tell)

# check point markers are not clearly visible

Will ponder about it

# check point markers should be no collide

Nope

# water is too deep, especially after the big jump

Fixed (except right near bridge because of the groundbobx/terrain conflict)

# can't recover from short jump after cp2 (I think, might be cp3)

You should be able to, i couldn't get stuck there even if my life depended on getting stuck.

# laggy near the water farm

Where exactly, i don't have the problem.

# why are cows and horses in the water anyway
# check point 11 is half in water

Flash flood took everyone by surprise.

# helicopters should be on complex

You mean near the broken planes and old buildings? If yes i moved them there.

# collision properties of almost all models is awful (planes, sheds and rocks are the worst)

I have fixed the ones that interfere with the race the most (rocks, ship, 5 or 6 trees near the track have a collideable base). Planes and buildings have been left alone. Sorry but i have maxed out the object number and buildings/planes don't interfere with the racing.

# beach textures are too slippery

No they are not :)

# check point 13 could use a visual clue to turn right

Kinda like this?

# finish line is kind of awkward seeing it immediately follows two tight turns (solution: make checkpoint 15 the start/finish line)

Fixed

In addition to that up there i have finished laying out the textures throughout the track (except underwater... forgot about that) and have finished smoothing the terrain around the map (more or less).

Truck lines have been improved but i couldn't be bothered optimizing them, will do so in the future.

Fixed a floating rock in the mountains (nobody noticed it :D)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2007 11:16 am 
Trackologist

Take a break from making tracks after this one, Fila - you're getting cranky and even more resistant to suggestions lol.

I had a few things to cover, but Mal got the bridges and Phin pretty much covered the rest. I did make note of a couple minor things, however, to re-emphasize a point that was already made, you need to seriously rethink making your cp markers no collide. Knocking them over prevents racers from knowing where the boundaries are on subsequent laps, so cutting corners becomes somewhat risky. There are quite a few spots where there no cp's where you can cut corners, so without the markers . . . see what I'm getting at?

I think this area here should be reworked to reflect more dirt or mud or whatever that brown stuff is. The entire area is slippery, and that's fine by me - makes it a touch risky if you go flying through there without thinking about it. As is, however, visually it gives the impression of having more traction with all the grass you have in there, which is why I suggest doing away with the grass almost entirely. In that small area, I mean.

Why do you have three guys here anyway? Don't see many triplets these days . . . let alone fishing together lol.

Noticed two areas (one - two) in need of a little transition work between textures.

Ok I'm going to drive it a few more times to see what else jumps out at me. Seems like you have enough to work on right now though. Also, I think it's worth the sacrifice to do away with a few subtle objects here and there so that you can fix ALL the models in need of collision properties work. Think about it. ;)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2007 11:29 am 

Quote:
There are quite a few spots where there no cp's where you can cut corners, so without the markers . . . see what I'm getting at?

I was thinking about that. In online racing you can knock down the markers in order to force the other guy to stick to the road so that he doesn't miss the checkpoint :)

I can't make the mud section look more muddy because of the textures. That's the way they are and if i try to make it more muddy the alignment will be gone and i can't make good looking textures :(

Quote:
can fix ALL the models

Well every single tree needs collision properties because they are 3D but that won't work because i'll need to reduce them in half.

And the planes and buildings don't really interfere with the racing road.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2007 11:37 am 
Trackologist

If you have to knock cp markers over just to try and get an edge, you're in sad shape as a racer lol. Anyway, it's your track pal, but personally I think it'll suffer in the "fun factor" if left as is.

I just ran the second version and noticed this tree has an object box insterted in the trunk . . . and I think it's the only one on the track that does. What's up with that?? If you don't want people to cut that corner going to cp 7 use landscaping to deter racers.

Edit: Ok I see - you have object boxes in trees where they're close to or intersect the raceline. Fair enough.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2007 11:50 am 

SLO_COPE wrote:

Edit: Ok I see - you have object boxes in trees where they're close to or intersect the raceline. Fair enough.

Yup. Don't want the people to go through 3D trees but due to the number of them i decided to only do it for the trees that are actually in danger of being overrun by a bunch of monster trucks.

Quote:
If you have to knock cp markers over just to try and get an edge, you're in sad shape as a racer lol

Maybe some need all the help they can get ;)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2007 11:42 pm 
easy company

Don't let these guys talk you into screwing it up Fila. There's absolutely nothing wrong with cows going for a swim.

Nice work with the collision boxes on the boulders near the road btw. :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2007 7:24 am 
Trackologist

LOL Mal. Fila's always done weird things with some of his tracks, like that pointless ball in Ouch!Meister, so I knew better than to comment on his aquatic cows lol. As for the cp markers, racers shouldn't have to look for them in my opinion, and Fila's notion about . . . well, allow me to quote him directly lol:

Quote:
I was thinking about that. In online racing you can knock down the markers in order to force the other guy to stick to the road so that he doesn't miss the checkpoint

Actually you weren't thinking at all, kid. If so, you'd have made them no collide lol.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2007 7:35 am 
Glow Ball

SLO_COPE wrote:
Actually you weren't thinking at all, kid. If so, you'd have made them no collide lol.

Actually, if he was thinking, he'd have adjusted the lighting, used better cp markers, made them no collide, fixed the water depth, allowed for miscued landings, set some models to complex (especially near the water farm), set proper collision properties, not used slippery textures and put the start/finish line in a proper place.

By the way, I didn't mind the ball in that other track; but his snow depth and texture types are a mess. I should fix it and reupload for everybody.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2007 7:48 am 

Phineus wrote:
SLO_COPE wrote:

Actually, if he was thinking, he'd have adjusted the lighting, used better cp markers, made them no collide, fixed the water depth, allowed for miscued landings, set some models to complex (especially near the water farm), set proper collision properties, not used slippery textures and put the start/finish line in a proper place.

By the way, I didn't mind the ball in that other track; but his snow depth and texture types are a mess. I should fix it and reupload for everybody.

Uhm... have you tried beta verion 2? :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2007 7:53 am 

SLO_COPE wrote:
so I knew better than to comment on his aquatic cows lol. .

What do you want me to do, put a sign there that it says "this area has been flooded 5 minutes ago, the people haven't had the time to get the cows and horses to a dry place" ?

Quote:
but his snow depth and texture types are a mess

You still don't want to believe me that except the snow every texture in Ouchmeister is set to dirt?

And besides, if you would have read my first post i already mentioned that i have not done the collision boxes and will do so in the next beta version but i only want to do it with objects that interfere with the racing line.

Quote:
Things to note: I only have space for 40 more objects and the trees are set to non-collide and the rocks (especially the beach rocks) need their collision to be made correctly.

And now how about you tell me if the lighting is better? You complain to it like that but fail to notice my post(s) where i said i don't have problems on my part and the track is clearly visibile.
This is a part i am really interested to have it ok for everyone so i want to know if readjusting the shading and the dark from traxx has helped improve the lighting in the track or not.