Well after not touching mtm2 since 2001, I've decided to dip back in and build a new track. I do intend on finishing it, however life is unpredictable and job changes, moving, employment variances, etc. may delay or simply kill off this project any time. It's not a one week job, this track will be huge and use most of the available track area.
To start, here's a diagram by the FAA of IAH (the code for the airport)
PM me for the link, I have to have two posts apparently.
Breifly, for the non-aviation enthusiasts here... the solid thick black lines are runways. At the end, are numbers and letters. Such as 15L and 15R, 26L and 26R. (L=Left R=Right) The thin lines that go between them are called taxi ways. When a plane lands they have to turn off the runway onto the taxi way as soon as possible to clear the runway for the next incoming jet.
As you can see, runways and taxi ways are long. 15L is 12,000 feet (2.5 miles) long.
Of course it'll be impossible to build in every single airport detail into this track. But here's a few key elements I'm aiming to build in:
- taxi ways (with signing)
- close resemblance of terminal equipment. Obviously it won't be possible to have moving baggage cars and food service equipment, but they should at least have a static presence.
- close-as-possible gate and terminal numbering
- a few jets parked at the terminals in various branding. yes there will be jetways.
- the tower. Can't have an airport without a tower!
- using the mtm2 'train' and an animated bin model to simulate an airliner doing a low approach over a runway, then taking back off into the sky. repeat.
Things that IAH has that just will not be in this track:
- parking garages. Unfortunently IAH has some very complex spiraling garages that are impossible to emulate. Still pondering painting up some ground boxes to look like parking garages.
- moving aircraft (other than the flyby) IAH is a very busy airport, there's always a plane moving around somewhere..
- Marriot hotel, even in real life it's fairly insignificant to IAH
- fewer aircraft. the real IAH is always packed with planes, unless you want to play at 10 fps, there won't be as many as the real
- possibly eliminating night and dusk weather play. An airport really comes alive at night with all the lighting, and I can't think of a way to effectively enable any kind of night time play.
The track -
A monster truck rally around a major airport, use your imagination. Right now I'm thinking of using the inner taxi ways for side by side car crushing (drags) and setting up avaition style banners for checkpoints in the rally. It's hard to set up a track without drifting too far from realism, but if it was uber-realistic, it would be boring.
And yes, jumping over an airliner will be part of the rally.
So if anyone has any ideas, thoughts, etc. Voice em'.
I'm also looking for bin models and textures, I need all the help I can get.
Progress right now is two runways are laid out and the taxi ways are coming along. also have some of the terminal locations outlined.