MTM2.com

A forum for mtm2 discussion
FAQ :: Search :: Members :: Groups :: Register
Login
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:27 am

Post subject: Area 3512
PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2008 4:06 pm 

Ok, first track is finished (I think...)

First did Traxx school. Then did Traxx school again with another set of textures and just started building from there. Don't expect anything fancy.

Give me your feedback please guys :)

Area 3512

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2008 10:30 pm 
Gone Walkabout

Hey Roxxy your first track, couldn't wait to download and try it... Wow this is a great effort. Your a natural, keep doing them.

I only had time for one quick run just now, but will run it again. I loved the effect of the corn field and being able to run through it, dont do that in a race guys, there goes your speed lol. Loved the jump and the layout.

No doubt the guys here will do all the tech stuff for you.

Great work :)

http://www.mtm2online.com
Evo1
http://www.evo1online.com

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2008 11:00 pm 
Glow Ball

I saw this yesterday but didn't get a chance to run it. Good thing SP posted otherwise I might have forgotten. Anyway, here's a replay for you.
<ul><li><a href="http://mtm2.com/~tracks/beta/Area_3512.zip">Area_3512.zip</a></li></ul>
----------

There's a few shortcuts. In the replay you can see them, and I included a graphic of where you might make the adjustments to cut them off.

* you can move the start/finish line up closer to the road where you turn toward cp1. That'll take care of a big one.

* move cp1 up a bit, closer to the corner.

* move cp3 back a bit, closer to the corner. Maybe even put it before the turn.

* insert an extra one to keep racers on the road heading toward cp4.

* moving cp5 before the corner rather than after it will let racers keep up speed. This is not crucial but placing checkpoints before corners rather than after is a little thing that makes a track just that much better to drive.

* the next two are okay but having moved the start/finish line forward opens a gap so you'll want to insert an extra one coming out of the corn field.

Racers will still be able to find their favorite line and cut corners a little, but those changes will keep them more or less on the course you've made.

----------

The stretch heading toward cp4. The crest of the small jump looks rather jagged. I think that's why you put the ramp there. If you make the jump one grid square longer or one shorter, that edge will even off. It's a quirk of 45 degree roads. The "lattice" effect creates those jaggies every other square, so when it becomes visible, then just going to the next one will usually solve the problem.

----------

Tree trunks and checkpoint posts are a bit large. Tip. Make the object box 2x2x2 and position it where you want it (c/d and f/v keys), ensuring a tight fit, then, being careful not to move it, set the height to 20 feet (ie 2x2x20) - number 5 key is helpful.

----------

A personal note, I'm not a fan of the grass texture type. I'd just as soon see them all set to dirt (except the corn field).

----------

That texture set is kind of dark. Somebody shoot mumhra please.

----------

For future reference, all models in the game are cube-shaped. Even if it's a round model, in the game it behaves as if it is a cube. Consequently, round models need to be set to no collide and then surrounded by smaller object boxes to create what-you-see-is-what-you-get collision properties. On your track, it's not such a problem because it nullifies cutting to cp6 but you will notice the problem on things like that water tower or large rocks near the road... there's few things worse than running into an invisible block. Yes, it's a bit of extra work but the results are worth it. 'Sandy Morgan's Gulch' and 'Black Gold' are two examples where I had to spend considerable time on round models. Have a look using "view pod file" if you need to visualize the idea.

----------

After saying all that, I think it's great for a first track. The theme is nicely developed, it drives great, and I love the spaceship over the cornfield... no doubt preparing to lay down a nice crop circle. Nicely thought out and well put together. I agree with SP, you're a natural.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 05, 2008 6:49 am 

Thx for taking the time to have a look at it. At first sight it seems like a whole lot to go through again but hey, it can only get better :) Comments like these are really instructive. That I can see already!
Well, I think I have something to keep myself busy for the next few weeks. Image

One thing I want to ask... Mumhra has made me the beautiful red tractor out of a backhoe. Only thing that's missing is the exhaust but his binedit skills don't go that far. Can someone please remake it for me or is that to hard to do?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 05, 2008 6:56 am 
Glow Ball

> Comments like these are really instructive.

We try.

> Mumhra made the red tractor but it's missing is the exhaust

Yes, we'll come up with something for you. Don't delete the download yet, please.

Hope to see you at today's tourney.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 05, 2008 7:19 am 

Phineus wrote:
That texture set is kind of dark. Somebody shoot mumhra please.

Sure... blame me lol.
As a matter of fact i have had very little to do with this project. Roxxy told me she wanted to try and make a track so i helped her find what she needed (Traxx, binedit,...).
Then i told her to do traxx school twice. She did it 1 time and the 2nd time she wanted to use different textures. But the texture set she came up with was a very difficult texture set so i adviced her to use an easier one (like the one i used for Horenbergsdam). I thought she was just going to do traxx school again with a few extra things in it. I had no idea she would go this far with this thing.
Later on i helped her a little with the red tractor and i also redid a few textures for better alignement. But that is all i had to with this. I did not even drove on this track yet lol.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 05, 2008 8:30 am 
easy company

red tractor with exaust ... RoxxyTkr.zip

I think I put it in the right spot, if not it's easy to move.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 05, 2008 9:03 am 

I ran just a couple of laps, but from what I saw it was really good. You did very well on this track Roxxy for it to be your first project. These guys here are very good at helping people tweak new developing tracks. And Mum certainly is no slouch either when it comes to track building. You are in very good hands.

I look forward to the updated beta release.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 05, 2008 12:09 pm 

Thx Scatter and SP for liking it :) and thx Malibu for the exhaust. It looks very good but Traxx complains it also needs the raw file(exhaust3.raw). As far as I can see it didn't come with the .zip.
It works fine so I don't know if I really need it?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 05, 2008 3:38 pm 
easy company

I'm getting rusty... overwrite that other file with this one
http://malibu350.com/temp/RoxxyTkr.zip

it shouldn't call for any other texture... sorry about that :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 05, 2008 3:52 pm 

Thx [;)]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 12, 2008 5:21 pm 

Finally found the time to make the adjustments to the track. I hope it's a bit better now :)

Area 3512 Beta

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 13, 2008 5:41 am 
Glow Ball

What does "Stays must be enjoyed at all times" mean?

As for the track, much better. I think there is still a small shortcut between cp1 and cp2. I don't know how much can be gained by using it but I'm pretty sure there's at least a second or two. Rather than move checkpoints around, or add an extra one, you might want to either make the terrain a bit jagged up on the hill, or maybe just put a couple models - eg. trees or bushes set to 'collide' facing, or something a bit more creative. You might also just dig a hole there. The idea is to put some sort of obstacle there that will make taking that route less desirable but do it without getting too carried away.

Have a look at this page. I think you'll like the results it gives.

http://cownap.com/~mtmg/traxx/palette.html

Good work :-)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 13, 2008 11:07 am 

Phineus wrote:
What does "Stays must be enjoyed at all times" mean?

I follow the Mumhra-school of spelling ;)

Well euh... a stay, short holiday like in "stays must occur within one year of the original reservation..."
must be enjoyed, that one is obvious I think.
at all times, always like at the airport "Passengers should control their carry-on bags at all times"

Phineus wrote:
Have a look at this page. I think you'll like the results it gives.

http://cownap.com/~mtmg/traxx/palette.html

So you really don't like that texture-set :D

I'll take a look at it. I knew about the color palletes in the component box but this is something new :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 13, 2008 12:37 pm 
Glow Ball

Roxxy wrote:
Well euh... a stay, short holiday ...

Ah, okay.

Roxxy wrote:
So you really don't like that texture-set

Actually, I was looking at the backdrop. And in fact it's the same one I used to demonstrate custom palettes on that page. Anyway, regardless of what I think of the textures, most tracks look better when you use a custom palette - it doesn't "always" look better but 99% of the time it does. Give it a try. If the results are not good then you can always restore the stock palette.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 13, 2008 10:37 pm 

Malibu350 wrote:
I'm getting rusty...

Yeah, so come racing with us again on Saturdays..........

:P

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2008 3:12 pm 

Phineus wrote:
it doesn't "always" look better but 99% of the time it does

It looks better now! I guess I can call this track finished.
Thanks for the help guys :)