MTM2.com

A forum for mtm2 discussion
FAQ :: Search :: Members :: Groups :: Register
Login
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:49 am

Post subject: Mountain Racing by Kdawg
PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2000 8:27 am 

This is my first track and i've been working hard last week to finish so i can start my straitaway contest entry. Lots of customs were made to create this track.

http://vales.com/NoDirectLinkBeta/mountrace.zip

This is a beta please post comments and/or suggestions.

Kdawg

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2000 10:16 am 
easy company

there are a couple of huge shortcuts and if these were unintended i suggest placing a couple more cp's where the X's are in the pic.

the road is not real well defined from the start up untill cp 2 a couple of well placed turn signs would help a great deal there.

the water in a couple places disappears then reappears, this is just a cosmetic thing and no big deal but you may want to raise the water level or drop the terrain level in these areas.

the jump just before cp 3 is a bit awkward but not impossible, you may want to angle the ramp area the same as the landing area or vise versa.

the comp trucks seem to loose their bearings quite a bit and need to be tweaked more.

overall i really like it, nice tight course with some great looking textures.

a bit of advise... dont rush to get it done you may be sorry you did... just toss this track in a folder along with the art and models and get to work on that straight track Image this track has a lot of potential and it would be a shame to see it released before it was fine tuned.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2000 11:56 am 
Glow Ball

Downloaded it a while ago but could only get to it now, so I guess I'll just repeat what's already been said :-)

Tech notes.

Traxx coordinates x-141, y-106 there's a truck trap. you anticipate the bend and road change but get tossed into a hole you can only get out of using the helicopter.

I had to use the map the entire time. It was not obvious to me where the road was exactly, especially near the beginning. Either the textures need work to help highlight the course, or you should add visual clues that point out the race line. Could be arrow signs, sure, but this can also be done with trees or other models that just prevent you from going the wrong way.

There is a slight tiling problem with the yellow/gold/dirt road texture (only a minor deal).

General notes.

are those you textures? Great job if they are.

Terrain is pretty dern good too.

For a first track, you're drawing all aces. Good job, and please just take your time finishing it up.

------------------
- Phineus

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 29, 2000 4:12 am 
easy company

I just want to take this oppertunity to express my opinion on "truck Traps" the only thing more frustrating to me are those little bushes that we sometimes slam into like a brick wall grrr..

but to me there are good truck traps and there are bad truck traps... in this tracks case i concider it a good one and it actually makes that corner my favorite in the track it adds an element of danger and that to me keeps it fun and not boring, Black Fork is a classic example with lots of dangerous areas that really keeps you on your toes and is a huge asset to its longevity.
bad truck traps, now if the bottom of the big pot hole in mountain racing was a V shape i would have a definite problem with it, those are the ones that if you fall into them you just sit there helpless flopping around like a fish unable to even summon the heli sometimes for up to a minute in that case you have been completely taken out of the race for one little misstake = bad truck trap Image ....this happened to me twice after practicing a track for a week for a tournament and knew it like the back of my hand and had both races won up untill that final lap that one little misstake and all i could do is watch the other two on the map passing me up where on the other hand if it was RFTT (racer friendly truck tap) i would of only lost a few seconds but still would have had a chance to win the race.

you can pick any one of ZooNs tracks as a text book example of RFTT's, he usually has a ramp set up so you can just drive out but if not there is never one that you are helplessly stuck in.

for what its worth and with all due respect to others opinions this is just my opinion here. just ignore it if you choose to Image

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 29, 2000 6:08 am 

I have worked a while (taking as much time as needed) and i have replaced the snow with brand new textures, I have changed terrain where the X's where in Mal's Pic,I have removed all segments and checkpoints which i will replace after, the landing ramp before checkpoint 3 has been leveled and there is a ramp to get to the banked turn, the visual aid for the track will be added shortely, the dusk has been replaced with a choice, the trap was fixed (i do agree with you mal on bad and good truck traps.) Thats all for changes but theres more needed to do. These are textures I made. They were made using base textures. For example the grass is the stock excavation texture and the sand texture I found at Obeone's site, and the snow was zoon's from Zoon EP set. But now the snow is replaced with another texture from Obeone's site.

I'm not gonna start the strait till after this is done and i am taking my time.
-Kdawg-

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2000 4:54 am 

I need Help!

I can fix everything but the computer trucks.What I need you to do is set up the segments so the computer trucks work. To do this use Winpod to extract all files from the pod, then use the traxx feature clone tracked track.
http://vales.com/NoDirectLinkBeta/helplease.zip

I am doing this because I am losing nerves with the computer trucks.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2000 9:10 am 
Glow Ball

Computer trucks aren't that hard. If you want a few pointers, take a look at the track I did for mike204. I think this is the place
http://www.vermontel.net/~pearl204/mtm2.html

But if you still can't get it, hang on and I'll tweak it up for you. I'm making some big comp changes so I wont be able to get to it for a day or two, but no sweat I'll help ya out. However, I'd much rather work from your txx than the clone - much more accurate.

See ya in a bit.

------------------
- Phineus

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2000 9:31 am 

Kdawg, I've got some time to look at it for you...that's if you want me to but if you prefer Phineus do it let me know. cya

p.s. I'll need you to upload it again with at least the main segment (0) layed out because with Traxx it's almost impossible to see where your supposed to go when there's no clear road i.e. texture changes...It doesn't matter if the segment works or not, just so I can see the path you want to follow.

[This message has been edited by Fatal Error (edited 30-03-2000).]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2000 4:04 pm 
Glow Ball

phase one complete, just got connected up again. Kd, I'd have no objection at letting FE give it a go. He did a good job fixing up the comp trucks on his own track. Can't hurt to let 'im try. Just back up yer stuff so nothing progresses backward. I wont be done for a while more yet.

------------------
- Phineus

edit: gotta learn how to spell :-)

[This message has been edited by Phineus (edited 31-03-2000).]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2000 3:52 am 

Go ahead Fatal. I can do it just this track is ticking me off with them.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2000 12:09 pm 

Kdawg - - I'll need you to upload it again with at least the main segment (0) layed out because with Traxx it's almost impossible to see where your supposed to go when there's no clear road i.e. texture changes...It doesn't matter if the segment works or not, just so I can see the path you want to follow. FE

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 01, 2000 5:29 am 

Kdawg, the course segments are fixed. I ran 7 comp trucks for 4 laps and they all finished the track. You will need to edit the terrain (i.e. smooth, raise, lower, flatten or widen) where some of the trucks crash when there's a group of them together. Other than that, I would not use 199 as terrain level if water level is 200. It makes water appear and disappear sometimes as your driving over it. Good luck...FE

It's posted at KC's

fatal_error10@hotmail.com

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 02, 2000 2:03 am 

Thanks alot FE! I haven't tried it yet cuz i have to leave now but i added a backdrop and i need to add checkpoints. Thanks to all that tested this track for me.