MTM2.com

A forum for mtm2 discussion
FAQ :: Search :: Members :: Groups :: Register
Login
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:31 am

Post subject: Science - Testers Wanted
PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2002 8:03 pm 

I've finished the BETA version of 'Science'. I need testers for the track and I also need to know if 'Science' is already a name for a track.
The track has no custom backdrop yet but for now I'm only testing the playability of the course. The computer trucks are now set up but there are a few places where they do not work. It's mainly a CNR track. It has a couple of parts where you can go more than one route. It's set up on a tables around a science classroom and has lots of dangers: Electromagnets, Bunsen Burners, Big Jumps. I suppose in a way this track took 4 years to make as there's a model of a pencil I made in 1998!
The track is quite short but that improves the quality of CNR games. Here's page with a couple of screenshots and the track itself: Click Here
I'll apreciate any help.

------------------
Wyld Stallyns Rule!

[This message has been edited by SIGage (edited 21-06-2002).]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2002 12:06 am 
Trackologist

I just checked it out - quite impressed with the some of the models you have in there - looks great!

Admittedly I've never played CNR, hence my knowledge-base is severely limited with respect to what constitutes a "good" CNR track. I recall reading an instruction page on the old LAPD site when they were up and running, but I was so new to the game, (1.) it didn't make a whole lot of sense to me, and (2.) well...I just didn't care! Hehehe I do know it's Cops N' Robbers, and chasing and catching is involved, but that's about it.

After a quick survey of the track I did note several models that need to be set to no-collide, then fitted with object boxes that follow the models's shape. Hehe I don't know jack about making tracks...but after hanging out with guys like Phin, Mal and the five track makers we have on SLO, you pick up bits and pieces of info/technical jargon. Image

I'll tell ya what...I know several ppl who like beta testing (including myself), so I'll be sure to pass the link you provided along to them and get you some feedback. From your end, I would greatly appreciate a little more info about CNRs...or point me in a direction where I can read it for myself. I have no clue what elements are considered "good" and/or "bad" where CNRs are concerned. I'm about to learn a little bit more on my own, however; I'm assisting Phineus with track settings for his page, and I have quite a few CNRs to check out, but that kind of familiarization will only take me so far.

Ok I'm done. I have a tendency to uh...well, talk a lot, so I think I'll stop here and wait for your reply! Image

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2002 3:16 am 

A good CNR track, i feel, can't be too long because when the COP crashes completely, it's annoying when the ROBBER gets too far ahead. In Science the COP can get to the ROBBER in many directions as there are many routes and jumps (provided my idea of the rules is correct).
p.s. Try to ride on the door handle!

------------------
Wyld Stallyns Rule!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2002 9:37 pm 

Just saw the post by my mate Adam (Bob X72). Why he named himself after a bus I'll never know. Anyway I reckon his idea of the CNR could work better on this track. Cheers for the idea!
As for the traditional rules, I think the sink and the floor are good traps for the ROBBERS but I added a wooden ramp from the floor up to the tables so falling wouldn't slow you down as much in a normal race.

------------------
Wyld Stallyns Rule!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 21, 2002 1:30 am 
Trackologist

Yep, yep was just there and saw the rules I read on LAPD's site (thanks to Phin) a few years ago. Ok I'm armed and dangerous now (hehe good CNR line, no?), so in a day or so I'll post some pics and make a few observations for ya.

Also, you say you've updated the track. If I use the link above will the updates be included in the zip I d/l?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 21, 2002 1:33 am 

Yep. I changed the zip on the site (from sciencex.zip to science.zip) so just use the existing link

------------------
Wyld Stallyns Rule!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 25, 2002 4:12 am 
Trackologist

All righty - here are the pics pointing out what I refer to as "flawed models". Where you see my truck in the pic is the point where I make contact with the non-visible portion of the model. It may require a little tediousness on your part to effect repairs, but I think it's worth the effort. Image
http://roadrage.sports-gaming.com/slo/teamslo/imup/model1.jpg
http://roadrage.sports-gaming.com/slo/teamslo/imup/model2.jpg
http://roadrage.sports-gaming.com/slo/teamslo/imup/model3.jpg
http://roadrage.sports-gaming.com/slo/teamslo/imup/model4.jpg
http://roadrage.sports-gaming.com/slo/teamslo/imup/model5.jpg

Since my last post I've sampled several CNR tracks, and again, although I've never actually played...after reviewing the rules (thanks to Phineus) and getting a feel for some of the tracks, I think yours should prove quite popular. I've got a few people interested in playing CNR, so who knows...maybe that style of play is due to make a comeback. Heck, I may even throw a CNR party for one of SLO's "Fast Lane" events!
http://teamslo.com/fastlane.htm

[This message has been edited by SLO_COPE (edited 25-06-2002).]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 25, 2002 6:48 am 

Lazy as I am I didn't do anything to the cups because you don't go near the handles. I need to change them though as it is now a CNR track too. I'll release the fixed version with the backdrop when I get back from Glastonbury on Tuesday.

------------------
Wyld Stallyns Rule!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 25, 2002 8:19 am 
Trackologist

I need to change them though as it is now a CNR track too.

I thought it was a CNR track from jump street? Hehe at any rate, you should be able to drive under the cup handle and not hit a portion of the model you cannot see. Actually, I'm a believer that you shouldn't hit anything on a track you can't see regardless of its intended use. Image

Still, the call is ultimately yours - just giving you my two cents worth. Goodluck.

[This message has been edited by SLO_COPE (edited 25-06-2002).]