MTM2.com

A forum for mtm2 discussion
FAQ :: Search :: Members :: Groups :: Register
Login
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:19 am

Post subject: Procedure for uploading a beta track
PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2003 4:10 pm 

I nearly finished a new (well, my 2nd..) track, and having learned from my first attempt that obvious things can be missed when looking for too long at them, would like to get some feedback before releasing it.

What is the procedure? Where can I upload it?

Thanks
Rocketalces

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2003 5:17 pm 
Glow Ball

Upload it to the track page, and select "beta" as the track type. It helps if you include the word beta in the zip file name. That's it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2003 5:24 pm 
Trackologist

Hey rocketalces, I remember running your first track (LaPaLu). Image I tell ya what bud, I hope this marks the start of a trend by newer track makers. As you can see, the heavy-hitters are dropping their tracks in there for others to look at em, and if it's good enough for them... Image

As for uploading your beta, it's a snap: go here , and in the upper right-hand corner you'll see the "Upload" button. Simply follow the instructions there and you're all set. Be sure to classify your track type as "Beta". After it's uploaded, refresh the track page and you'll see your track at the top of the page. Copy the link and come back to post it in here. That's it!

If you have any problems just let us know and we'll get ya fixed up. Look forward to seeing what you've put together, buy. Take care!

Edit - looks like Phin got in just ahead of me lol

<font size=1>Edited by SLO_COPE (04-04-2003)</font>

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2003 5:28 pm 

>> having learned

Ah yes, the LaPaLu discussion. :)

Well, the upload service <a href=http://mtm2.com/~tracks/upload.cgi>HERE</a> has "beta" as an option when you upload, to mark it as a work in progress, uploading it here will put it in the main <a href=http://mtm2.com/~tracks>track list</a> for all to see and download of course. Later you can upload the final version, then someone will delete the obsolete beta version. Alternately, if you have webspace of your own you could upload it there and then post a link to the file here in the beta forum.

If and when you post a message here, I would recommend posting a list of issues that you are already aware of and that you suspect people might jump on - this will spare the testers from extra work and spare you from unnecessary criticism. Also post a list of specific questions you would like people to address, much like Phineus recently did with <a href=000123.html>Black Gold</a>. By directing the testers this way you may spare yourself from getting more than you want, this is a public forum after all and you never know what some people may be inclined to write. However, when seeking a test of your work there is no real procedure, you can just say "tear into it folks". ;)

I realize what I've written is probably more than you needed to know, but I figured it might serve as a useful guide for anyone.

p.s. Hit refresh before posting and what do I see? Phin and Cope snuck in before me!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2003 5:40 pm 
Trackologist

I try to tell people all the time to use The Beta Room so that they can have the benefit of new eyes and the kind of technical expertise found here at MTMG. I tell them that they'll get more help than they possibly imagined. Here it is rocketalces hasn't even uploaded his beta and he's been swarmed with assistance lol. It just doesn't get any better than this! Image

Btw, very good suggestions, Wint!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2003 9:10 pm 

Thanks for all the advice.
I'll upload my track on saturday (still have to finish the AI).

And wow! For SLO_Cope to remember my first track, the corner at checkpoint 3 must have left a lasting impression lol. But don't worry, this time there will be only two small low grip areas at places where it can be expected.

Rocketalces