MTM2.com

A forum for mtm2 discussion
FAQ :: Search :: Members :: Groups :: Register
Login
It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 11:49 am

Post subject: On The Fly "Beta"
PostPosted: Sat Apr 19, 2003 3:18 am 

Hey guys. Been Workin on this one here and there for awhile. Just dropping it to get an opinion on things. There aren't any Checkpoints yet and I'm still adding Scenery. So in those respects I know I need THOSE things done :).

On The Fly
http://mywebpages.comcast.net/a.c.baker/betathefly.zip

------------------
I'm not a maniac, I just portray one on the track.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 19, 2003 4:52 am 
Glow Ball

Not much to go on, and very hard to identify places when there's very few land marks, but here's a few notes.

- The layout is good. I like it.
- The trip around the pond, make sure the water level isn't so deep it slows the momentum of the race. A foot or two is usually enough. Or you could put ground boxes under the terrain so the water offers no resistence.
- the jump after the corkscrew-type curve is long, consider shortening it one square or dropping the landing area a bit.. also the textures don't blend there.
- there are a couple blind curves. Perhaps a bit of work on banking or the racing line will make them more navigable (if that's a word, lol)
- the bridge out part is very nice
- a few more landmarks couldn't hurt, but I realize this is early so there's no panic on that front.

Overall, this has the beginnings of an excellent track.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 19, 2003 5:10 am 

- The trip around the pond, make sure the water level isn't so deep it slows the momentum of the race. A foot or two is usually enough. Or you could put ground boxes under the terrain so the water offers no resistence.

**THat part of the track will be blocked off. There is a jump across the water via a slope a lil to the left after the small hills. (should be 2 trees there)
Should have stated that heh.

As for texture blending. I still don't have the hang of it. I'll work on that though.

Models. Definitly going to be adding alot more. Trying to decide what else to put in. It is a bit too plain with just trees and a couple fan stands.

------------------
I'm not a maniac, I just portray one on the track.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 19, 2003 9:53 am 

You have the beginnings of a very nice track Demi. I look forward to seeing the future improvements.

------------------
Scatter

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 19, 2003 9:04 pm 

Yup i look forward for this one. You have the base for an exellent race track here. The layout is great track is wide enough and good use of the bank in some of them curve. As i dont have all the technical knoledge to comments about textures and stuff of that nature, i'll leave it to them track makers. To me next step will come when the checkpoint are in place.

Defenatly going to be a good one for large group as well as for them hot & close two way races.

So far so good

------------------
Jumper
Only those who will risk going to far can possibly find out how far one can go.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2003 12:37 pm 
Trackologist

I've already looked at this one prior to Demi dropping it in here. One of the points we discussed was the bridge, which prompted me to raise the quesition, should he insert some sort of fail-safe road in there, an escape route of sorts...kinda along the lines of Mother Lode 1.5 whereby the invisible road supports you if you fell to clear the jump off that platform over to the road.

Reason I even brought it up was if you miss that bridge, or if two vehicles collide in the process of trying to out position the other and one or both go down, their race is pretty much over with no chance of getting back into contention. I realize there are plenty of tracks that have pitfalls of that sort, but it doesn't mean he has to default to that line of thinking and just leave itl. Truth be told he's unsure about it himself. Any suggestions/comments?

Me? I'm kinda inclined to think he should go with some sort of safety net strictly on the basis of making it a "kinder, gentler" track for all. If he were to omit it, I'd love it just the same, but my recommendation would be have some means of reasonably rapid recovery.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2003 1:03 pm 
easy company

I haven't had the chance to run this yet but from the sound of it this bridge can be a 'death' trap, i hate those almost as much as invisible barriers... death traps certainly add the element of disaster, but disaster shouldn't eliminate one from the race completely, set you back 10-15 secs max, sure, but anything more than that will kill the track.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2003 1:31 pm 
Glow Ball

If you must provide a recovery for the bridge area, I hope you make it a drive way out and not a net. Motherlode is a special case because the drop is too deep. I try to make a habit of building recovery roads so you don't need the helicopter - tho I forget just as often, lol. Anyway, what I mean by drive out is just a ramp back up so the loss is minimal. The other thing is to put the cp in front of the bridge, not after. That way you trip the cp so recovery just involves getting back in the race and doesn't tie you to a target.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 26, 2003 4:50 pm 

Well I definitely think this is a great track in the making. From a racing standpoint I found it very smooth. That one water crossing point slowed down the tempo a bit, but then Demi informed me of a jump to bypass that. As for the rest it was smooth sailing. I personally liked that one tricky long jump after the corkscrew section, even though I didn't clear it the first time... once I knew how to approach it it wasn't a problem. As for that bridge out section, I certainly wouldnt object to some sort of opportunity to escape the long fall. Whatever that method will be I have not a clue, will leave it to the trackmakers :-) ... and if its not amended, thats cool too because it adds to the atmosphere of danger and difficulty.
The track can use a lil' more scenery and perhaps some checkpoints hehe 8) , but all in all its very impressive and I really look forward to its completion.

Post subject: New Version
PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2003 3:15 am 

Hey guys, been awhile i know. I haven't made too much head way, and just haven't been in the mood to work on this. But here is what i have so far. I am thinking it is almost done, given some technical fixes (texture, sunken models and the like). Lemme know if there are some shorts in there as well. I MUST get rid of those. I lowered that jump after the turn around, so maybe it will be easier to do now as well. But lemme know what you think.

also that jump between 11 and 12, i couldn't find a suitable safety so i just left it alone, any ideas on that let me know :).

http://mywebpages.comcast.net/a.c.baker/betaonthefly.zip

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2003 5:23 am 
You Gonna Eat That?

Lookin' much better bud! Finally got some scenery, especially at the starting line, you're the first to use my building that I know of.

Do me one favor, lose that Bear Foot next to my shop. I have Mopars, I'm a GM man. I made you a replacement.
http://www.mw-gaming.com/users/RepFan/z ... roProp.zip

This will look much better next to it I think.

Excellent track so far. It has some tricky turns, and it's a challenge, those are 2 very high +'s in my book. Can't wait for the end result.

Phin, if you like you can add that to the models page too. I redid BinMasta's Camaro. I just added some detailing to it, and made it a Z28, and put some better wheels on it. Soon I will be adding a page to my site for some of my models, and I plan to zip this car up with my building model, so they travel together. They will be 2 seperate zips in the one zip, so people don't have to use it with it, if they don't want to.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Now for the low spots.

I would smooth out that right hand turn, as you take that jump heading to Checkpoint 12. Up that hill, and trying to make that corner, and still make it across the jump, doesn't always work. I was having a heck of a time with it, cuz my tires kept leaving the ground, and I couldn't get enough speed to make the jump. I kept "Framing" it on the other side, of the broken bridge.

I don't really care for alot of water in tracks. It just slows it down too much. But if you do keep it, in that one section, I would add a checkpoint marker in one of those corners, in the middle of that water. Me being the non-water kind of racer, it's pretty easy to hit Checkpoint 5, and just skip all of that, and head straight to CP6. It cuts down the time alot, and for me avoids frustration. That way you make racers go thru it.

Finally, the racing surface seems slick. I found it hard to try to take some of the corners, like there wasn't good enough grip. It's sort of a bumpy track, which I don't mind that much, I prefer smoother fast ones. But this track reminds me alot of the places I go 4 wheelin around my town. Kinda muddy, and slightly slick. It's not that big of deal, I think if it was a little smoother in the corners, it would be alot faster.

Other than that, I really like it. But if you didn't change any of that stuff, it would still be a great track, those are just my opinions. The way it is now just makes it more challenging, which I have nothing against at all.

That concludes my Beta Test [:P]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2003 6:10 pm 

Hey RF, yeah, i noticed a few places needed to be smoothed a lil still, also as for the water area, go straight after CP 5, there you will see 2 trees, and the surface is inclined, so that you can jump over the water. That was the way it was made, thinking i might just have to change the map around on it.

Oh, and i can't seem to get your New WHeels to load up right, just a blank. ?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2003 11:56 pm 
Glow Ball

A few notes.

• Checkpoint markers 1,3,4,5,9, & 12 are backward.
  • Banner flags along left side of cp 2 should probably be no collide.
  • cp 8 poles should tilt/angle like cp 2.
  • The left checkpoint pole on cp 5, 9, 11 are floating
  • The road closed signs at cp 5 are backward.
  • Several small trees are sunk a tad too much. It's a small detail; please treat it as such.
  • Several medium size trees cut the terrain on hills. It's a medium detail; ditto.
  • Police cars should get some weight, and bearfoot too if you keep it.
  • Shortcut at cp 5-6 is fine, but the rookie trucks should take the long way and pro trucks take the short... which means those barricades should get some weight so you can knock them out of the way.
  • Textures at jumps/breaks in the road are sharp. It would be "nice" for appearances if you made a couple customs to fit the ends.

Lastly.
  • The bridge at cp 11-12. Either leave it as is, and it will become renowned/notorious for it's difficulty (which isn't necessarily a bad thing), or help the trucks by using object boxes to "widen" the take off and landing area. I say widen because it's not a big leap; it doesn't need a safety net. But its width is the problem; two trucks can't take it at the same time. Making it wider will help, but because object boxes are invisible, races can't get too complasent or they'll find themselves in the gully. Oh, and there's room for a drive up lane if you go to the left - it will probably still be faster than the chopper-and-try-again route.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2003 12:46 am 

I have to say that I enjoyed the entire track....until I reached the broken bridge....

At the very least, the bridge needs to be doubled in width, with the take-off side angled up a bit more to give a better launch.....even better would be to extend the takeoff side a bit to reduce the gap in the middle, while still giving the damaged bridge effect.

If it weren't for the fact that a 90-degree turn occurs just before the jump, then the current set-up would be OK (wider bridge still wouldn't hurt).

There's a similar jump-after-90-degree-turn layout on World's "OGX MAUI 2002" track, but no one has problems with it because he made the landing side significantly lower than the takeoff side, and the takeoff side angled upward a bit.....

Just a suggestion.....Oh, and....I did notice some checkpoints that looked reversed.

Nice work bro.....could be a fast and popular circuit if that one bottleneck is remedied.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2003 2:23 pm 
You Gonna Eat That?

OK, I redid the Camaro.

Now it sits at 721 Faces, and 1 texture.

Will that work?
http://www.mw-gaming.com/users/RepFan/z ... roProp.zip

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2003 9:10 pm 

Alright,

Fixed the cps, grounded the floaters,
the boarder flags on the left of cp 2 are as they should, i messed up during the making of the track so i can't fix the other side. that is why they are barriers, so no one goes over, (i hope).

Widened the bridge between 11 and 12

Gave vehicles, and signs some weight,

Added a couple of things. nothing major,

here ya go,

http://mywebpages.comcast.net/a.c.baker/betaonthefly.zip

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2003 9:20 pm 
Glow Ball

> that is why they are barriers, so no one goes over

Tell them to drive better. The hazard is part of the action.

.... I'll check it out.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2003 4:54 am 

An excellent track overall, if I were authorized to give Copey ratings..... it would get high marks. Quite natural looking, nice terrain/model variety, with just enough eye candy (even off course I see). I've only played in complex, I dunno if you've made use of different scenery levels, but it's always a good idea to do so. Nicely carved terrain - eye pleasing and good driving.

Okay now, the inside pole on cp3 is collidable, might double check the status of all poles.

You are surely aware of the shortcut past the water portion via the jump immediately after and straight through cp5.

The building on the water to the left of cp6 is a nice touch.

>> "Textures at jumps/breaks in the road are sharp."

True, the one that bothers me most is the landing just after cp9. Terrain-wise the landing there could probably use some tweaking, the landing hasn't been 'flowing' well enough for me, but perhaps my speed isn't what it should be.

There is a floating tree below the bridge jump. The bridge jump itself is difficult but cool, and I'm not sure if it's changed from yesterday to today but it seems easier.

Rep Fan's Z28 needs adjusting, hehe (it overlaps the garage).

The cp8 box needs adjusting to match the terrain, I've managed to sneak past it without triggering it, though that could well have been my own fault. The fact is you should consider <a href=http://forum.mtm2.com/viewtopic.php?p=10618>remaking your checkpoints</a>. ;)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2003 8:06 am 

Good idea on the Checkpoints. I'll give it a shot.

As for blending the textures, UGH, i have no concept how to use PSP, and if i did, my artistic prowess, is limited to stick figures. lol.

I'd have to get some one else to make the textures for it. Otherwise it is gonna have to stay as it is :(

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2003 9:52 am 
You Gonna Eat That?

Winterkill beat me to it, but I was also going to mention that jump after CP9 myself.

It either needs an extended take off ramp, or the end needs to be moved closer, or eliminated and just left flat. Everytime I make the jump and land on that mound, it bounces you sky high.

Other than that, I think it's near perfect. [(-:]