MTM2.com

A forum for mtm2 discussion
FAQ :: Search :: Members :: Groups :: Register
Login
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:33 pm

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 267 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 14  Next   
 Post subject: What happened to all the imagination?
PostPosted: Sat Aug 16, 2008 2:46 pm 

Recently just about every truck uploaded is a replica.
What happened to the custom trucks? Back in the early days of MTM2 most trucks were players own designs, now most juts copy a real truck.
I know there is a high demand for real trucks, but it's nice to see people making their own designs, and now there is almost none of that left. I'm sure just like me there are players around who like to play trucks that have been designed by players and have had their creators imagination put into them.
How come there are almost no custom trucks being uploaded?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 16, 2008 4:10 pm 
MTM2 Engineer

same thing with drags over circuits/rallies/rumbles. Drags and replicas are most work of the dragging community, the biggest community around nowadays. If you really wanna see more creativity from tr@ck makers, post this thread on draggers forum.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 16, 2008 4:32 pm 

Well, I come from the draggers side of the community and there is more of a demand for replica trucks then custom trucks. Most of the time when a custom truck on the draggers side is made it is for the makers personal use and does not get released (I am guilty of it myself). I have made a few custom trucks though but they usually just get the "Ohh, hey, that is nice but are you going to release *name of replica truck here* soon?". So to be honest, I really have no desire to make or release any custom trucks anymore cause they really do not get much attention on the draggers side.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 16, 2008 6:41 pm 

I dont make rep's I love to make my own custums as far as tracks and trucks. I am getting a lil stick of reps and MJ style tracks.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 16, 2008 6:48 pm 
MTM2 Engineer

Yeah, there are more demand of replicas since most of the drags tourneys try to replicate real tourneys, with therefore, real trucks.

>>So to be honest, I really have no desire to make or release any custom trucks anymore cause they really do not get much attention on the draggers side

Well, you're forgetting the racing side. We always love to see new custom trucks around

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 16, 2008 9:36 pm 
Glow Ball

I agree with kmaster. We like to see everything everybody does. And don't forget, even if something doesn't get big notice, uploading provides a good backup source too. You never know when somewhere down the road you just might be glad you uploaded something and can get it back again. And you wouldn't believe how many times somebody comes back after a long break and says they can't believe their old tr*cks are still around.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 17, 2008 12:45 am 

I can only speak for myself on this topic, but if you go solely on my opinion, then I think there are actually tons of great customs out there, that never get made public because the owners want sole use in leagues. That's great and understandable, but it's really a shame that some really great work never gets out there to be seen. Can't there be a master list of "exclusive" trucks and what players have the rights to them? Or maybe when new versions of trucks are made the previous versions are released? Obviously, there is a segment of the MTM2 playing population that wants to see the work, and not necessarily in a drag league environment. There has to be a way to put work out there and still have it for league use.

For my own part, I don't see the point in putting in hours of work on a truck and letting it rot on my hard drive as a "personal" thing. I do it as a creative release, for myself. Even as comments on customs have become scarce, I still somehow get satifaction just by seeing the d-load count go up on the Trucks page. People like my stuff enough to want to use it. That makes me proud.

Also, seeing as I don't run leagues, I have no concerns about "exclusivity". In fact, if you really pay attention, you'll notice that only one of my trucks, Driven to Destuction, is "my truck" as it has my name on it. All the other trucks exist as to be driven by fictional (for the most part) characters, which means anyone can take a drive and not be stepping on toes. Heck, you can drive DTD if you want and pretend to be me. You may just like the paint, of course, and that's fine, too...actually, it's better because you're a sad person if toy want to pretend to be me.

If you want to see more customs, my suggestion is to speak up and give some kudos when you see trucks you like. If guys realize that customs are getting some love, they'll be more likely to make more. Me? I'm gonna keep making them, because they're way more fun to make than replicas!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 17, 2008 2:01 am 
You Gonna Eat That?

pip pip Phin! and Kmaster!

imo, the replica's that are being made, ain't that great anyway. I've been saying it for years, repainting someone else's work, and putting Slick's wheels on it, NOT a Replica...

no talent hacks. Just like the guy that took my trucks, and put em in a pack, and changed the wheels on my stuff to Slick's wheels from my cool 80's wheels & tires to Slick's, now cut tread tires & wheels he uses on all his trucks. That's cool on a now truck, but not on an 80's truck.

The people that thought that was cool, you're all just as sad as he is.

There are a few people around that know what cool is, and can tell the difference from a re-gurgitated truck, and track. Some of us just need to come back, and one of US is. No more replicas, just cool custom trucks, with cool custom paintjobs, and not the same wheels that some one else made on the same truck, with a different color.

and maybe a couple Replica's in the mix too... but done right. Now we just need to bring back some great track makers like Finne, and Zoon, and Malibu350, and Phin... wink wink...

yeah, you heard me...

btw, good talkin to you Phin on the "new" Zone... kinda, now we just need Mal to come out of hiding...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 17, 2008 8:16 am 

I would really like to see more trucks like these being uploaded.

I miss seeing these trucks which are cool repaints and modifications of stock or other players trucks.

I might start making my own "retro custom" style trucks like these. (Credit given to the creator of the truck of course.)

IMO other truck creators should do the same, there's just too many reps being made.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 17, 2008 8:24 am 

I will also review custom trucks being uploaded, that will let the creator know people are interested in using their own trucks.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 17, 2008 9:11 am 
Glow Ball

Roadknight wrote:
I might start making my own "retro custom" style trucks

That's the best way. It's hard to complain when you're not doing it yourself. Sometimes you only need to lead for others to follow.

Roadknight wrote:
there's just too many reps being made.

No there isn't. Coming from the guy who made the "too many drag" tracks topic, I'd thought you might have realized that this game is big enough for everybody to make what they want. If you look at years gone by, there were over 900 trucks made in 1999 and 2001. But truck production is down overall, not just customs. The only way to solve that, is to get into the truck making game and start producing your own.

Roadknight wrote:
I will also review custom trucks being uploaded

Yep, that always helps too. Every contribution somebody makes, helps contribute to the whole game. Everything helps in large amounts.

> Cale

Well said.

> Rep Fan

Welcome back (agin ;-)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 17, 2008 9:12 am 
Glow Ball

Rep Fan wrote:
Now we just need to bring back some great track makers like Finne, and Zoon, and Malibu350, and Phin...

I got a few this year and we're not done yet. Mal's got a couple too this year. Finne and ZooN would be nice to see tho.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 17, 2008 9:56 am 

I'm currently working on a repaint, I'll try to fix my Inferno truck at some point as well. It's about time I did.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 17, 2008 9:57 am 

hmmmm, a thought about repfans samey feel about replicas, most real trucks do use the same tires (or look the same), the same frame, (or close to it) the same dimensions, same shocks, same block (all in appearance anyways) just with a different molded body. I can't think of any issue about giving them all the same tires, its pretty close to the truth anyways.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 17, 2008 10:25 am 
Glow Ball

> I can't think of any issue about giving them all the same tires, its pretty close to the truth anyways.

Speaking as somebody who worked in the tire business, I'm afraid I'd have to disagree with that one.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 17, 2008 11:39 am 

Rep Fan wrote:
imo, the replica's that are being made, ain't that great anyway. I've been saying it for years, repainting someone else's work, and putting Slick's wheels on it, NOT a Replica...

no talent hacks.

Slayer wrote:
hmmmm, a thought about repfans samey feel about replicas, most real trucks do use the same tires (or look the same), the same frame, (or close to it) the same dimensions, same shocks, same block (all in appearance anyways) just with a different molded body. I can't think of any issue about giving them all the same tires, its pretty close to the truth anyways.

Don't blame editors for that, blame actual monster truck builders like Dan Patrick and Paul "Pablo" Huffaker for making successful businesses out of building (and selling) a bunch of turn-key, well-performing, sturdy trucks that, you guessed it, all look very similar to one another. With the state of the industry today, the bar for making a very accurate replica has been lowered considerably. I'm not saying that's a bad thing, I'm just stating the truth.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 17, 2008 11:56 am 

4XF is all I really make, but when I have time I'm going to tear it up with some non-4XF customs. I have a few awesome paint schemes in mind, but as I said, I just need some more time. I do hope to though.

Personally, I don't like making replicas. Too much detail to worry about, and you have to get everything right. With a custom you can just do whatever you want, which I very much prefer.

I'll always be a customs man... we should form some kind of "custom truck allegiance" lol

[cheers]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 17, 2008 12:33 pm 

I don't see the big deal, People make what they want, There is nothing wrong with it. And I happen to disagree, I think the newest replicas as of late are some of the best created, Jet and Scott are some of the best painters and truck makers in the community, Weathers its making a replica or a custom truck. Its fact that over at draggers people want replicas more so then customs, There in for the realism and as am I, And I see no problem with it, And another reason why alot of guys over at Draggers do not release there customs, Is one you got guys stealing the setups off it, And Some guys want there own unique truck and setup that nobody else has, I don't see a problem with that either. Lets just enjoy with whats being put out, If you don't like the things that are being released then do something about it by making your own. Plain and simple.

And to add on what Kevin said, Most trucks in Monster Jam have alot of things in common, AKA chassis/tires,headers and much more, So why waste time making something when theres already spot on stuff made by Slick and many others that you can use? Sure you may feel more satisfied with your replica if you do it on your own but the things you need to make a replica are there already. Honestly I love the latest rep's coming out, I love custom trucks as well but I hate seeing these kinds of topics because it usually ends up in some kind of fight between Draggers and Circuiters, Its like the North vs South Lol. Lets just have fun playin' the game.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 17, 2008 1:13 pm 
Glow Ball

> Draggers do not release there customs, Is one you got guys stealing the setups off it, And Some guys want there own unique truck and setup that nobody else has, I don't see a problem with that

Well, I have a problem with that. Nobody around today built things without the help of others. This game was not built on, and has not lasted this long, because of selfishness. All for one and one for all. Without that, this game would have faded years ago. This game has room for a lot of things, but selfishness isn't one of them.

> I hate seeing these kinds of topics because it usually ends up in some kind of fight between Draggers and Circuiters

Only if you make it that way. Before you brought it up, we were talking about trucks, not game play.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 17, 2008 1:25 pm 

Phineus wrote:
> Draggers do not release there customs, Is one you got guys stealing the setups off it, And Some guys want there own unique truck and setup that nobody else has, I don't see a problem with that

Well, I have a problem with that. Nobody around today built things without the help of others. This game was not built on, and has not lasted this long, because of selfishness. All for one and one for all. Without that, this game would have faded years ago. This game has room for a lot of things, but selfishness isn't one of them.

> I hate seeing these kinds of topics because it usually ends up in some kind of fight between Draggers and Circuiters

Only if you make it that way. Before you brought it up, we were talking about trucks, not game play.

Thats a very good point on the Custom thing Phin, It is a bit selfish but its there choice and there is nothing anyone can do about it. And yes its only an arguement if people turn it into one, But the name calling and putting down others work isn't cool.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 267 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 14  Next