MTM2.com

A forum for mtm2 discussion
FAQ :: Search :: Members :: Groups :: Register
Login
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:54 am

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2001 12:42 pm 
Glow Ball

Q. Have you completed Mdmre's repaint tutorial? If not, it's certainly worth the hour it takes. This gives you the A through Z of re-painting basics.

Now for your question. A bin is a file that defines a model. Part of the file's job is to know what texture(s) the model is supposed to use. Not really that big of a deal but the info is coded in the bin file itself, so what you must do is tell the bin to use your new textures instead of the old ones. There are a few ways to do that. If it's a straight repaint, then mdmre's bin texture replacer utility is the thing you want. If the bin file is over 64k, then you'll need to use a hex editor. If it's not a straight repaint, then you have no choice but to remap it.

an extra note

<font size=1>Edited by Phineus (07-12-2002)</font>

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2001 2:37 am 

For anyone who is a little lerry about using a hex editor there is another way to replace texture's with the Texture Replacer even if the new one is more then 65k.

It's very simple. First thing you do is go into your art folder & cut the new "mytruck.raw" & paste it in another folder.

Find a .raw or make a new one that is 65k or less. Copy it & then rename the copy as the new "mytruck.raw". Run the file replacer. Once thats done just go back & get the actual new "mytruck.raw" & paste it right back into the art folder.

Make any sense?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2001 5:13 am 
<a href=http://mtm2.com/~forum/pages/Forum16/HTML/000046.html>bin.</a>

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2001 1:03 pm 

Hmmmm... whenever I get the "file is larger than 64,000 bytes" message, It's because the .bin model has too many vertix's, faces, or both. the only way I know how to use mdmre's tex replacer is in this case it to delete part of the model in binedit, and save it as "temp1.bin" then I reload the original model again and delete the parts I saved in the previous saved file, saving the faces I deleted in that 1st file.

Then, when I get it down to small-enough .bins, I run them all through texture replacer, then recombine them in Binedit.

--> remember to delete all unused vertix's before saving!<--

I had to use this process on some engine models with a large numbers of polygons. I'd delete all faces and vertix's on the blower/air-scoop and save just the block/tranny as "engBlock.bin" Then i'd do it again, saving just the blower/scoop portion as "engBlowr.bin" .

Then after replacing the textures, I'd load the block model in binedit, insert the blower model, merge all duplicate vertix's, delete unused vertix's, then finally save it as "eng_01.bin" or some other new filename...

remember to always keep a copy of the original .bin model!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2001 12:49 am 
Glow Ball

Don't ignore the link above to BinNamer by Frank Racis (that's the same guy who made FlyRawGui). I had forgotten about BinNamer. It's a DOS line utility but does the job great. Let's you change any texture you want on any size bin. Can't ask for much more than that.

http://mtm2.com/~forum/pages/Forum16/HTML/000046.html