MTM2.com

A forum for mtm2 discussion
FAQ :: Search :: Members :: Groups :: Register
Login
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:04 pm

Post subject: i need help please
PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2001 10:36 am 

please help me... i have been building trucks for about 2 weeks now and i have gotten most of it down accept i have a few problems.. the current one is that once i am done painting the truck and saving it and after im done. i load it into TRACKED2 and it is there and it is fine and it looks like i want it to... i then create a .pod file and pod it using podini but when i launch mtm2 and select my truck it always causes a error in the 2nd .raw and it says "bad texture size" .. i have am not sure how do fix this please help me.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2001 10:47 am 
Glow Ball

Open pod.ini in notepad and move your truck to the top of the list. If that gets rid of the error you have a name conflict causing the problem. If not, then we'll have to dig deeper to figure it out.

Please post your question only once.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2001 10:58 am 

Phineus i placed it at the top of the pod.ini notebook and it still did not work i got the sam error message

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2001 11:11 am 

I believe you've left your texture at 16.7 million colors. In PSP, open it as 256x256, three-channel rgb, 0 byte header, interleaved rgb, and order rgb. Reduce the colors to 256, save your palette, save the texture, and go. I'm not sure about this - I don't use Tracked2, but I'm guessing it can handle 24-bit textures.
-Angus

Keep on truckin!
http://angus.karf.net/
[img]http://angus.karf.net/smsmash.gif"%20width=75%20height=75%20alt="Angus's%20Smiley%20Smasher[/img]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2001 11:39 am 

Just one quick question. Is the raw's name 2nd.raw? If not then make sure the name is not longer the 8 letters. Tracked is still a DOS program & cant handle it. That one had me stumped for a week.

[This message has been edited by Jam-N-Jim (edited 18-04-2001).]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2001 6:47 am 

no it is not named 2nd.raw... but when i open 3 channel rgb it is all messed up and distorted and i cant edit anythinh because i cant see anythin,,,, ill try it again tonite thanks .any other ideas u can make suggetsions..

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2001 7:21 am 

hmmmm... i just tried that rgb 3 channel and i turned it to 256 colors and i saved it and the palette and it not rite when i loaded it in tracked2 and it still caused a error
...if u can help please do

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2001 9:42 am 
Glow Ball

Do you still have the pod you made using tracked2? If yes, zip it up and send it to me. phineus@karf.net

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2001 3:44 am 

i just made another truck (i loaded blank template and painted that) increased the colors to 16m did what i had to do, decreased the colors to 256 and then saved the .raw and the .pal. i then copied the .bin and used the bin replacer, i made the copied the .trk file and i made the .lst file, i then loaded the truck into TRACKED2 and i was able to see it , i then podded it successfully and i launched mtm2 and i got the same problem "bad texture size" in .raw1..

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2001 6:16 am 

Send it to Phin or me if ya want.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2001 6:29 am 
Glow Ball

I just ran two successful laps on crazy98.

Jam-N-Jim was on the right course on this one. The problem had to do with the number of characters in the file names. But rather than too many, this was a case of too few.

For example, the Black Stallion truck uses these model files:

STALLION.BIN
STALLIO0.BIN
STALLIO1.BIN

And these models call for these textures:

STALLIO1.RAW
STALLIO1.ACT
STALLIO2.RAW
STALLIO2.ACT

Notice that each texture file name has eight characters in it. What you should try to do when repainting a truck is use the same number of characters in your new texture name. Like this:

old file name

STALLIO1.RAW
12345678.RAW

new file name

NEWFILE1.RAW
12345678.RAW

Mdmre's bin texture replacer can sometimes handle file names that are different lengths, but it works best when they are the same length. In this case, eight characters.

An interesting thing to note was that once the bin file had been changed using a different name length for the texture, I could not just re-replace it. It became corrupted and no longer usable. I had to contact DarkDragon to find out what the base truck had been. Once I knew that, I re-extracted the original body, renamed it (and the textures), replaced everything and voila. Works like a charm now.

Last note. Please podzip your work.

Get your truck here

http://karf.net/mal/dRo.zip

That's a temporary link

[This message has been edited by Phineus (edited 22-04-2001).]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2001 9:58 am 

thanks for doing all that hard work and all... i fell dumb but after u told me that i had to few letters i tried making another truck, and i spent alot of time making sure i was making the right steps and i did just about everything ... i wasnt sure what to name the .raw files so i just named them aaaaaaa1.raw and aaaaaaa2.raw, and i decreased the colors to 256 and saved the .raw and the .pal.... copyied the .bins, copied the .trk and made the .lst, i went to load it into TRACKED2 and it caused a error AGAIN... this problem is very difficult and i have no clue on how to come about this. if u have any suggewstions PLEASE help me!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2001 1:42 pm 

does anyone have any ideas or suggestions on this problem i am having.... i need help at this part and i am not sure what to do... i dont mean to be a pest i just need some guidance and then i will be on my way

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2001 1:51 pm 
Glow Ball

Not a pest, you just haven't given enough information for anybody to respond to. If you followed everything above, then there would be no problem. You've missed something along the way but unless somebody has esp, there's no way to know what.

I assume you're repainting a truck. So, what truck did you start with? What files did it use? What did you change the files names too? Where did you do the work (on the hdd), and where did you copy them to?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2001 3:44 pm 

Hey. Also, always say just what the error message was. If you have to recreate it & write it down but it sure does help to know just what it said.

[This message has been edited by Jam-N-Jim (edited 28-04-2001).]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2001 12:25 am 

ok i will try and explain everything i did.. i opened the blank palletts of firestn wilderness that i dl/ed at the karf.net site and i increased the colors to 16m on both files/blank palletts.. i then put words on the side and on the hood.. decreased colors to 256 saved the file as aaaaaa1.raw and aaaaaaa1.pal.... and aaaaaaa2.raw and aaaaaaa2.pal,then i turned the .raws into .acts (aaaaaaa1.act & aaaaaaa2.act) then i copied the firestn.bin firestn0.bin and firestn1.bin as aaaaaaa.bin aaaaaaa0.bin and aaaaaaa1.bin.. used the bin replacer and changed the firestn.raws with the aaaaaaa.raw's.. after that i copied the firestn.trk as aaaaaaa.trk. then i created a aaaaaaa.lst file and did the art/aaaaaaa1.act stuff and saved it as aaaaaaa.lst. then quit.. launched TRACKED2 and it caused a "MRGL: texture - Bad texture size : aaaaaaa2.raw

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2001 2:02 am 
Glow Ball

>>i opened the blank [template] of firestn wilderness that i dl/ed at the karf.net site and i increased the colors to 16m on both files/blank palletts.. i then put words on the side and on the hood.. decreased colors to 256 saved

That sounds fine.

But notice:

<table><tr><td>FIRESTN1.RAW
FIRESTN1.ACT
FIRESTN2.RAW
FIRESTN2.ACT</td><td>aaaaaa1.raw*
aaaaaaa1.pal/act
aaaaaaa2.raw
aaaaaaa2.pal/act</td></tr></table>

In retyping the info here on the message board, you've short changed yourself a character on aaaaaa1.raw. If you've done that when naming a file or when using the texture replacer then it's possible to come up with the same error message. You have to be extremely careful with file names. Any slight variation may cause problems. Even if you name the file correctly but type it incorrectly in the texture replacers, you'll still get problems.

Reminder: When replacing textures be sure to include the raw extenstion. Ex. "aaaaaaa1.raw" You need the whole name, not just the "aaaaaaa1" part.

>>then i copied the
firestn.bin firestn0.bin and firestn1.bin
aaaaaaa.bin aaaaaaa0.bin and aaaaaaa1.bin.

That looks fine.

>>used the bin replacer and changed the
firestn.raws with the aaaaaaa.raw's..

That looks fine too, as long as you haven't mistyped anything.

>>firestn.trk as aaaaaaa.trk.

Okay. Along with renaming the TRK file, have you changed the basemodelname? For example, the stock truck looks like this:

truckModelBaseName
firestn

So, you'd have to make it look like this:

truckModelBaseName
aaaaaaa

>>then i created a aaaaaaa.lst file and did the art/aaaaaaa1.act stuff and saved it as aaaaaaa.lst.

Here's a tip for you. You do not need to create a lst file when using Tracked2. You create a lst file when using Winpod.

>>launched TRACKED2 and it caused a
"MRGL: texture - Bad texture size : aaaaaaa2.raw"

Did anything above help? Oh, and does the file name have any funny marks beside it when the message happens?

One more thing to check. If you use TxRaw (8k) can you view both of your textures? TxRaw is very specific about image size so if you can't see the picture using it, then there is a problem with your graphic. I don't think this is the case because what you describe sounds fine. But it is one more thing you can check.

If your textures are okay and you want to try the texture replacer again, re-extract the firestn.bins and start fresh. Don't mess with corrupted models.

Let us know how it goes.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2001 4:07 am 

I painted another truck and i followed all the steps very carefully and it came out good and worked great! thanks guys