MTM2.com

A forum for mtm2 discussion
FAQ :: Search :: Members :: Groups :: Register
Login
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:51 pm

Post subject: Concrete truck
PostPosted: Tue Mar 09, 2004 7:12 pm 

Has anyone ever made a concrete mixer truck for mtm2? If not, what's the least amount of sides needed to give the drum a fairly smooth curved appearance?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 09, 2004 8:52 pm 
easy company

Bigdogge made this one... http://mtm2.com/~trucks/trucks.cgi?sear ... r&truck=on

My guess would be about of 16 sides for a smooth drum but you may get away with less since mtm2's shiney faces blend the seams very well.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 10, 2004 2:03 am 

click this link to see a picture of it.

http://mtm2.com/~bigdogge/trucks_page2/cement_mxer.jpg

Also, Haggy borrowed my mixer drum and some other parts to make his own 8x8 cement mixer. here's a link to it:

http://mtm2.com/~trucks/trucks.cgi?sear ... r&truck=on (includes pic)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 10, 2004 4:08 am 

Those are nice. Perhaps someday we'll organize some event just so that we can race with trucks like that.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 11, 2004 7:16 pm 

Thanks for the response.... is it possible to add a second rear axle and wheels? What sort of problems would I run into if I lengthened the frame?

Height might be an issue also... I'd like to make it fairly tall but don't want to limit the tracks it can be driven on (tracks with low overhangs) Would setting the upper scrapepoints lower than the actual top of the truck eliminate that problem?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 11, 2004 7:39 pm 
easy company

Bigdogge made a few tandem axle trucks, here's a picture of his Shockwave replica... pic. If you take a look at the trk file you can see how it was done. The only problem with this is that when you turn the tires will overlap, but it's just a visual thing as the truck handles just fine.

> What sort of problems would I run into if I lengthened the frame?

Depends on how long you go. if just a couple feet then you won't even notice much change in the handling.

> Height might be an issue also...

Same as above except height seems to be a bit more sensitive to handling making the truck top heavy and tip-easy.

As far as scrape points go, yes they can be fudged manually in the trk so you won't hit any underpasses :o).. That was a concern of mine when I did the radio flyer with it's handle sticking up pretty high, but I was able to keep the points as they should be so I doubt it will be much of a concern for a 'normal' lifted truck.