MTM2.com

A forum for mtm2 discussion
FAQ :: Search :: Members :: Groups :: Register
Login
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:27 am

Post subject: Body model mapping shortcut
PostPosted: Sat Jan 01, 2005 12:04 pm 

I originally posted this just before the server hard-drive died. This is a repost

---

I came up with a shortcut mapping trick when I converted all the EVO truck body models to MTM2 format, since every body had to be 100% remapped, and I had so many to do.

The problem was, how to you map the left and right sides of the truck so that they are identical and perfectly aligned with each other? Did you ever map the grill or tailgate of a vehicle, only to find that when you align details with one side of the model, the other side is misaligned? This is due to differences in mapped locations of the textures on each side of the truck.

The solution was to break the body model into 2 sections. This only works with symmetrical models that have identical left and right side polygons (nearly all body models qualify).

---------------------------- my body mapping method ----------------------------

* Step 1:. First, place the textures for the left side of the truck on one 256x256 RAW file, then map the left side of the truck model to this RAW file. Once it is mapped, delete all the identical faces on the OPPOSITE side of the truck, then save the body model as copy #1.

* Step 2: Take that same model, and delete all the remaining faces except for the left side of the truck that was just mapped. Save it as copy #2.

* Step 3: Take copy #2 (just the left side faces), and mirror it so that it now becomes the right side. Resave it as copy #2

You now should have 2 models, one being the whole body with the left side mapped and a big hole where the right side faces would be, and a model consisting of only the right side faces, with both being mapped to a single RAW texture.

Step 3b: (optional)
The next item depends on the paint scheme. If you are going to have text or non-reversible graphics on the sides of the truck, then you need to make a duplicate of the left side RAW texture file. If your truck has no such graphics on the body (like a stock vehicle), then you can leave both sides mapped to one RAW and skip to step #4.

If you DO require text or non-reversible graphics, then take the existing RAW and duplicate it.. Now you have textures for both sides, with the artwork in identical positions on the RAWs. The original will be the left side textures, and the new duplicate will be the right side. Optional would be to write LEFT and RIGHT on the RAWs somewhere in the smallest available font, for later reference.

Image <--left side ... Image <--right side

Once you have your left and right-side RAWs, non-reversible graphics and text can be added to them. For obvious reasons, you shouldn't apply those graphics/text to the body textures until AFTER you duplicate the left side RAW to produce the right side, as said items must be reversed on the duplicate to look proper on the model.

Image --> Image

You can fill the unused portions of the RAWs with textures for other components of the truck, as I did here in the examples.

* Step 4: Load the body (copy #1), use INSERT to add the right side to it (copy #2), merge vertices, delete unused vertices, then save it as a complete body model.

NOW the body has both sides IDENTICALLY mapped, and is ready to have textures for the rest of the model mapped (grill, hood, tailgate, etc....) I ALWAYS map the sides first for easier alignment. Use this method, and you will have no problems getting details that appear on both the sides and ends of the model (like amber marker lights & headlights, tail-lights and bumpers, etc.) to align accurately with minimum trouble.

A bonus of this method is that you only have to select and map polygons on one side of the model.

This was devised before Binedit 2.x came out with it's superior mapping abilities, but I still find this method perferable to having to tweak side textures about, and still use it to this day.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 01, 2005 10:15 pm 
easy company

Good stuff BD

With the next version of BE you can select and mirror 'copies' of face groups meaning your techique will be even a little faster with fewer clicks. The solid bodied (non fiber) chevelle was done with mirrors as was radio flyer and parts of L&O.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 02, 2005 12:24 pm 

Thx bro....I haven't written a "tute" in some time, so I figured I'd get this little method out to the public, for anyone who wanted to try it.

One more detail......Since the new version of Binedit allows one to flip/mirror the texture mapping mesh, you have the choice of reversing the duplicate texture for the right side.

Image <--left side ... Image <--right side

This would have the advantage of not having to make reversed graphics for the right side of the truck....What you paste on the left side textures can be pasted on the right as well without modifications.

Some modelers may prefer doing it this way. I haven't tried flipping the right-side mesh yet, but I may try it on my next project.

This slightly different method produces textures more like those on the stock trucks (which don't have backwards graphics or text), except each side of the truck has it's own RAW. I prefer to use a separate 256x256 raw for each side, to obtain the maximum number of pixels per side texture, and produce better looking paintjobs as a result. When I try to get both sides on one RAW, the individual pixels become more noticable on the finished truck.