A forum for mtm2 discussion
FAQ :: Search :: Members :: Groups :: Register
Login
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:42 pm

Post subject: help please
PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2005 12:39 am 

first of all, im not sure where i should put this topic here , im sorry;

im having a problem,

i just started truck making and im using tiki's truck shop 3 to make a truck, i saved it and i was gonna use winpod to make it into a pod file, but when i double click the winpod.exe icon it comes up with an error that says: (title: 16bt windows subsystem) c:/windows/system32/autoexec.nt. the system file is not suitable for running ms-dos and microsoft windows applications. choose 'close' to terminate the application.

does anyone know whats wrong and how i can get winpod working ?? this also happens when i try and open tracked2

please help

by the way.. im using windows XP home edition in case u wanna know

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2005 1:02 am 
Glow Ball

There's a couple problems. Let's see if you can get them for you.

The error you're getting is due to an incompatibility between win9x and the winNT based operating systems - which includes winXP. MOB warrior found a fix,

http://forum.mtm2.com/viewtopic.php?p=21165#21165

There is also another program/install that updates the dos things so they'll run, but I can't find it at the momemt. If the above link doesn't help, you might find something through google.

http://www.google.com/search?q=dos+in+xp

The other problem is simply the method you're using to make the truck. What tutorial have you been following and why are you using truck shop? There are much improved programs available now. I would like to recommend c-pod.

http://mtm2.com/~mtmg/repaint/

And if you're good at working without instructions, the binedit beta has a new trk editor that is nothing short of amazing.

http://malibu350.com/m350/main.htm

If you have any more questions, don't hesitate to ask. There is a lot of help and info available, so you should get back on track without too much difficulty.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2005 1:22 am 

thanks!

i got binedit working, and i used the cpod.ini to extract files into cpod.exe and from there i extracted .raw and bin files from truck2.pod (default, [:P] )

but now im wondering, .. how do i make my own textures? thanks in advance :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2005 1:44 am 
Glow Ball

You need a paint program. If you don't have one, then try out paint shop pro.

<ul><li><a href="http://mtm2.com/~mtmg/downloads/misc/paint/PaintShopPro4.zip">PaintShopPro4.zip</a></li></ul>

Some of the tools are outlined here

http://cownap.com/~mtmg/trucks/painting1.html

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2005 1:45 am 

Howdy. Use a paint program to create or customize textures. If you don't own one then you might start with good old Paint Shop Pro v4. Saving your textures as the .raw/.act pairs required by the game can be done a number of ways, but a lot of people use flyrawgui to simply convert BMPs into raw and act.

Tool 'n Tutorials (everything you might need): http://mtm2.com/~malibu350/tnt/main.htm

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2005 1:59 am 

thanks for the replys,

ya i havent tryed paint shop pro yet ( only 30 day trial [uhoh] )

but i have been converting some raw files to bmp and editing them abd converting them back to raw using flyrawgui and ive been trying to use binedit to replace the old textures with my new textures on the truck (yes, same truck i took textures off of ) but it keeps saying the file name is too long or something.. and i kept trying that for 5 times and it gave me the same error 5 times about the name being too long (something like that) and now when i go and try to replace the textures with my edited textures an error pops up and it says that the program has to shut down .. whats wrong ?? do any of you have aol instant messanger? so you can help me with this stuff [bump]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2005 2:16 am 
easy company

texture names need to be 8 characters long or less otherwise they'll crash mtm2. binedit is only trying to help :)

12345678.raw is the max length

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2005 2:42 am 

oh.. k well ill just reinstall binedit

EDIT: i reinstalled binedit and im still getting an error of : "binedit has encountered a problem and needs to close." and it has two options: send error report and dont send

this happens when i try and replace old textures with my new edited textures (converted to bmp to edit in paint and converted it back to raw at 256 colors) ... maybe i need to delete my edited raw file and re-edit it ???

thanks..

btw i could use some guiding in this truck business via AIM , anyone have it and would like to help me?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2005 2:57 am 
Glow Ball

ACT and RAW files go in the art folder

BIN files go in the models folder

TRK files go in the Truck folder.

Binedit needs to know where your files are. On the menu there is preference options. Make sure they point to the correct places... if they don't, it can cause errors because the program expects them to be in the proper spots.

Sorry, I don't have instant messenging programs.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2005 3:18 am 

thanks phineus, i got it working [:-)] and now that i can do textures , ive been wanting to find out how to make my binedit model into a pod and how i can configure the height and length of my truck, please tell me?

thanks [:-)] [:P]

EDIT: oh wait.. should i use tiki's truckshop 3 to edit my truck's setup? or what? and how do u convert .trk files to .pod? thanks.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2005 7:35 am 
You Gonna Eat That?

Just delete Tiki's Truck Shop. You don't need it for anything.

Go into your truck folder, and right click on any .trk file. Click "Open with..." and choose Notepad from your list, and make sure the box at the bottom that says "always use this program to open these files" or something like that, is checked, and click OK.

Then just double-click on a trk file to open it, and then you can edit the truck's settings. Word of advice, I'd stop there. Editing one of these will affect every aspect of the truck's looks, and it's driveability. When you get a truck done and you need to move axlebars, the driveshaft, or lights, we'll get to that step when you're ready. One wrong move in there and the truck may not even drive.

For now, I'd stick with scrapyard parts, or repainting the stock trucks, till you get your feet wet. Then we can go into and cross that bridge when we need to.

Tiki was a top notch modeler for MTM2, and he created truck shop, but it had some issues that never worked right, and he left the game before he fixed them. The claims that it does all the features it says it does, are un-true. I have never seen anyone build an actual truck with truck shop, so just stay away from it. There are a few ways to go about building trucks, that are much easier, and we all know how to use them, so we can help you out one way or another.

Stick with the basics, and we'll get you building great trucks in no time. It took me months before I actually made anything worth releasing, so learning doesn't happen over night. I'd just like to say that I'm glad that you are taking the time to learn. That puts you in a class by yourself.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2005 8:27 am 

newtruckmaker3 wrote:

On PSP4, the trial doesn't last 30 days, it's unlimited.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2005 2:59 pm 

thanks guys, but now that i deleted tikis truckshop how do i get .bin files and texture files together to make a .trk file? so that i can create a .pod file from it in tracked2

EDIT:
NIR_Cr@$hC@rt wrote:
newtruckmaker3 wrote:

On PSP4, the trial doesn't last 30 days, it's unlimited.

i got 4.12, (only one i could find) and it says i still have a 30 day trial :? and i cant open raw files, instead of the truck body file, it shows a small little picture with grey lines across it :?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2005 3:31 pm 
Glow Ball

At this point I would like to recommend that you do the tutorial at the link I posted above.

http://mtm2.com/~mtmg/repaint/

It will answer all your questions. There is no substitute for starting at the beginning and walking through it one step at a time. It doesn't take long and when you're done you'll be on your way to becoming an expert.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2005 4:01 pm 

with your tutorial i made my first mtm2 truck [:-)]

and now that i know how to make a truck i need some tutoring with painting my truck , have any tutorials ? and i also want to make a fiberglass monster truck [:P]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2005 4:11 pm 
Glow Ball

Did you upload it? After all this, it would be nice to see the fruits of your labor - don't be shy, we all began right where you are now too.

For tutorials, there is the tool tips page I noted above, and there are dozens of paint sites all over the net... but most of it is just practice, trial and error, and patience.

http://www.google.com/search?q=paint+shop+pro+tutorial

If you have anything specific, you can ask and maybe the painters can offer up some tips.

Fiberglassing is done with binedit. For that, you'd best familiarize yourself with binedit, then assemble a couple trucks from parts so you see how things work. Then, tackle fiberglassing.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2005 4:16 pm 

ok ill upload it but the paint sucks, because i only edited one side of the truck (and the tailgate)

where do i upload it to?

edit: im already working on another truck [:-)]
this time im gonna try better with the paint

edit2: ive uploaded both my trucks (yes i did another truck..) here:
http://mtm2.com/~trucks/trucks.cgi

names:
1.dirt
2.tomato

any tips ?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2005 6:42 pm 
You Gonna Eat That?

finish it first.

Do the whole truck to the best you can do, THEN upload it on the truck page, up in the right hand corner you'll see a button.

But don't upload it half done, take your time and do it till you are happy with it, we can wait a few days, no one will download a half painted truck. Be different and do something the best you think you can, and then go from there and get better for your next truck, and the next, and the next.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2005 5:49 pm 

i know , just to show u my firstwork, now im doing a 3rd truck and this time im taking my time with the paint, probobly be done with it next week when i feel like finishing it

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2005 6:31 pm 
You Gonna Eat That?

Just speaking from experience, I was cranking out reps almost 1 a day for awhile... then re-doing them 5 times over the years.

If I woulda known then, what I know now... so I've been there, my advice is to make a truck with the mentality that "man, no one has ever seen anything like this before..." and try to blow people's minds with every truck.

That's what really sets you apart than the rest of the guys, that's better than just stealing other people's work and repainting them, and call em yours. There's no real satisfaction in that.

Don't be afraid to repaint some scrapyard parts and do something different, and have fun with it.